1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Button's classic F1

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Masanari, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

I thought I would sneak this in before BLS <devil>

Button went the same way as Alonso and picked a mix of all-time classic races and their own races.

There is a video of Button explaining his choices here as well as the videos for the chosen GPs

His choices were:

5) Britain 1987

"Nigel Mansell at the British Grand Prix at Silverstone in 1987, when he pulled an epic dummy on Nelson Piquet into Stowe and went on to win the race. It was an amazing race to watch, especially dummying his team-mate like that."

4) Europe 1993

"Ayrton Senna annihilated everyone, overtook five cars on the first lap and was leading when he crossed the line. An amazing race. I was actually there watching it. It was one of the first races I saw live."

3) Germany 2000 (in Button's maiden F1 season with Williams)

"I had a problem at the start, well, the pre-start and had to start last. I fought my through in wet conditions and finished on the tail of David Coulthard. He finished third, I finished fourth and that was almost my first podium in F1. It was an amazing race for me fighting my way through. It was also at the old Hockenheim track with the long straights, so it was pretty scary in wet conditions. (Editor's note - the race was memorable for another reason - Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello won from 18th on the grid, in a race marked by a safety-car period following a track invasion)

2) Brazil 2009

"My second favourite race of all time would be Brazil 2009. This is a tricky one for me because it was either this one, when I clinched the title, or my first ever win in Hungary 2006. But I've chosen Brazil, mainly because it clinched me the world title.

"It was a very aggressive drive through the field from I think it was 14th or 15th on the grid. I don't even know where I finished, but it was one of those races, fighting my through, knowing every single point counted to winning the world championship. I really wanted to get it wrapped up before heading to Abu Dhabi - and that's exactly what I did."

1) Canada 2011

"My favourite race of all time has to be the Canadian Grand Prix this year. It's tricky because every win really matters to you and really means a lot and you remember pretty much every lap. But I've chosen this one because of what I went through, the high and lows throughout the four hours.

"To come away with that victory after being 21st and fighting my way through to first on the last lap of the race, that's a race I will remember forever.

"That's the one, if I have kids, I will first mention to them when they start watching Formula 1. I'll say: 'Daddy used to do that and he used to be all right. And he won the Canadian Grand Prix.' And I'll put it on 'play'."

2. TheModestMatt

TheModestMatt Member

Im shocked is first win in Hungary isn't there

3. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

I am happy Canada is there, he had a special race.

4. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

You would have thought he woudl have picked Hungary 2006.

He started down the field and came through to win, so a good drive as well as a defining moment in his F1 career

5. Bob Bobbinz

Bob Bobbinz Member

I don't think he's the kind of person to just put down his own races, if it had been a top 6 or 7 then I expect it would have gotten in there. Good choices though.

6. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

you dont see many 2000 races in classics. That will be one i will watch in interest. That was the year of BMW returning with williams (button behind the wheel) and those bright yellow minardis and of course the red ferrari wigs! Cant wait to see the rubinho tears on the podium!

7. EternalMSC

Watching the Canadian Grand Prix reminds me how annoying David Coulthard is.

8. EternalMSC

Just an agitating person to listen to. :)

9. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Great choices by Jenson. Even the "career highlight" ones fall on interesting races.

10. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction Well-Known Member

The 2000 German GP has always been a favourite of mine. Got it recorded on VCR somewhere

Plus its quite nostalgic hearing the V10s screaming through the forest. A tragic loss of both the V10 sound and the character of the track

11. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

yeah, the track was so big that it was wet on one side and dry on the other which caused havok with the tires. Its a personal favorite of mine. and more nostalgia that you have it on VCR!!!

12. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Boo! :p

Nice mix from JB, a few that are worth a watch <ok>

13. Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction

Vilsmeier-Haack Reaction Well-Known Member

Here is the race on Youtube from part4

[video=youtube;0XVqF9v8QGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XVqF9v8QGU[/video]

FOM claimed parts 1,2 & 3 despite the race being 11 years ago <doh>

Just listen to those V10s in the forest, the McLarens just sound wonderful

Interestingly for this thread at 3:35 in the video Brundle remarks about how Jenson is having a horrible afternoon behind a queue of cars comprising of Zonta, Wurz, Salo & Diniz with Mazzacane chasing him down <yikes> should watch it through to see how Jenson managed to finish so strongly