1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burnley vs United - Tuesday Turf Moor Tussle

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I am not sure what you are expecting. It is not perfect but the teamwork has been getting better. Of course moments of brilliance decide the outcome but the team needs to work together to defend and to attack. Burnley work hard as a team but they lack the quality players that makes that difference. The whole run of results wasn’t built on individuals working separately. What I agree with you is that with the players we have though we can still improve another 20%-25%. And tonight we have had several players off their optimum , like Rashford, Martial, Cavani and even Fernandes. Teamwork improves with confidence and results too.

2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Our defence is doing very well so I have no problems there although I think our tactics of sitting back does them no favours. Where I think we lack teamwork is not in the player's ability but the fact we look so disjointed going forward. We're very good with space in front of us, but when teams are organised in midfield and defensively we have few answers in opening them up.

You can see the hesitation in our players. They take an extra touch, take their time deciding what to do next or where to pass and any advantage is lost in those moments. Then we either pass back or try and pass it through the eye of a needle into a crowd with the pass being signposted. You must've noticed this? Whereas a team with a game plan, where players can see the next pass before receiving the ball and know where each of them are is what I class as team work. Like I said, we only seem to manage that when we have space in front of us. We're limited tactically.

3. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I somewhat agree with the point that you're making here. I think part of the challenge is that we don't have definitive first 11 that can play together consistently for even five games. I guess the jammed schedule this season doesn't help, which means we have to continuously rotate players.

Overall, Pogba was the most frustrating thing for me in that game for the points raised by Diego. How I wish he could play like this for just 3 out of 5 games and cut out the fkin fat Agent shenanigans. Oh, how I wish!

We really should go all out for a result on Sunday. There's nothing to lose there. If we lose the match, we have the full season to recover. But if can go all out and come out with a good win, it will turn the whole season around with confidence instilled into everyone in the squad.

Has to be said that Ole has been exceptional in managing this team since November. Also, this team is full of talents and we should rightfully be winning these games and we must continue to strive to bring in the big prize as a team. Still long way to go but the vitals are excellent.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Christiansmith and Treble like this.
  4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It wasn't a brilliant performance but it was exactly the type of game we don't perform well in, Burnley away.

It's almost a cliche. That we won is positive, I thought we'd struggle in this more than we will on Sunday. Hopefully that'll prove be the case as Sunday will be completely different, given the opposition and how they will play.

The issue I have is as someone else mentioned, now we're top will he play for a draw? That won't work.

Obvious changes are that Martial will be out so Rashford can play on left. I expect James will play on the right, to much rage from our internet fans.

Would rather Mata, but I doubt he will because he'll want pace.

Fred or McTominay to replace Matic as well.
    He'd usually play both, perhaps he will if Fernandes goes wide of a front three behind the striker.

Treble likes this.
  5. Christiansmith

I nearly choked when I read that sentence and who wrote it :D

But I agree with you about the need to rotate. Too many matches coming thick and fast so just impossible to keep playing the same players. However I think paradoxically that is a strength the team has and where OGS has done well. Whereas in the past not playing our first team would seriously weaken the team nowadays some players can be rested (unfortunately not all) and that keeps the squad fresh and together too.

cytrax likes this.
  6. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Humble pie from me. I'm normally the first to slag Pogba off but he was really switched on last night and showed some real hunger and enthusiasm for the game - will it last, I hope so. Greenwood on the right, Cavani through the middle and Rashford back on the left seems to be the way forward now that Martial has picked up an injury - in my book that's the formation we should have.

And again, WTF with all this playing out from the back - half the time we are dispossessed so we might as well have de Gea hoofing it beyond the half way line and fight for a 50/.50 ball there, not on the edge of the 18yd box. Even when de Gea decides to kick these days we still have two defenders flanking the 18 yd box - why, that just reduces our options in stabilising an attack or supporting our midfield.................

Nice to see us back at the top, its been a long time coming - however long it lasts. Last comment - I do hope rashford isn't having his head turned by all his charitable efforts. he didn't seem to be quite on it last night (even out of position) - I do hope he keeps a focus. Was his dip a coincidence or was he caught up in the news about £30 food parcels. Noble stuff, but the club pay his wages.

Treble likes this.
  7. Christiansmith

Quick comment about Rashford. He has done the single most amazing action of 2020 - sportsmen or not. These food parcels he highlighted this week were simply a disgrace and his action brought it to Parliament to be discussed this lunch time. It is no exaggeration to say that he is their leader and their advocate in that field. So he has to keep involved (unfortunately for the team)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Treble likes this.
  8. glazerfodder

Don't get me wrong about Rashford. What he is doing to defeat child hunger is quite remarkable, my only concern is that with such passion, might come distraction. If he wanted to take a sabbatical from his football to pursue his laudable work - fine, no question, but can he juggle both plates as I say, we pay his considerable wages.

9. Christiansmith

The incredible power he exerts over our politicians is through his playing for United and England and his massive Twitter following of nearly 5 millions. We wouldn’t want him to take a sabbatical nor should he. I honestly don’t think it distracts him from playing effectively for the team. I think the club hierarchy,Woodward and the owners, recognise that he is a huge plus for the club and he’s ultimately worth more than whatever they are paying him. There are potentially millions of children and youngsters growing up following United because of him. That’s not even taking into account that he is supposedly the worlds most valuable footballer.

cytrax likes this.
  10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It really depends how we approach the Liverpool game. If we approach it like we did Leicester I fancy us to get the 3 points. If we aporoach it like the last couple of games we will struggle to come away with anything.

Imo with City lighting a fire up Livpl's arse and United being 3 (possibly 6) points ahead the pressure will be on Liverpool. So the last thing we should do is concede early and take that pressure away.

So I totally understand the need to be tight defensively. The longer the game goes on the more the pressure will build on Livpl and the more they'll leave themselves open.

But that should not mean sticking 10 behind the ball. For me, it means probably Fred and Scott in midfield and keeping our shape and being organised BUT also being tactically aware of how to play through the lines so that the likes of Bruno, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood etc turn any defensive possession into attack...from minute 1.

cytrax, Christiansmith and Diego like this.

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Even with what we are debating as distraction, Rashford has had 7 goals and 5 assists so far. It is worth reminding ourselves that he has not been playing as a target striker this season. Most of his starts have been on the left. Also, considering that most of the players, including Rashford, started the season poorly, I don't see recent signs of distraction in his attitude and contribution to the team. Rather have him doing what he is doing off the field than messing around on social media like most players.

12. Christiansmith

Combined 11 - RS v United

Last year, there were multiple pundits who said a combined 11 will have only RS players and no Utd players from GK to striker.

it would interesting to find out what the same pundits will put out this season. Would you have more Utd than RS?

13. glazerfodder

Most of these pundits still aren't giving OGS and the team credit for what has been achieved - it's a fluke, we're only top because the other sides are crap, we'll be relegated regardless - none of them can bring themselves to admit the simple truth that we are the better side at the moment, particularly after our sluggish start. had we hit the ground running with this present form, we would be streets ahead of anyone. But will these so called pundits eat humble pie and admit it - will they bollocks. I'm not saying any of them has an agenda against us, but having written us off so early in the season, they can't admit they were wrong in opening their gobs and spouting an opinion too early in the season.

Christiansmith likes this.
  14. Christiansmith

I’ve come across this ESPN channel with their pundits Craig Burley Steve Nicol and Shaka Hislop who are so anti United that is almost unbelievable. Every win is described as lucky or the fault of the referee. Penalties given for Utd are all wrong, The Utd position at the moment is a function of the weakness of other teams, Solskjaer has no merit as a manager and simply there because of his playing deeds and not been sacked yet because of the support of ex players. They could almost be an RS fan channel.

glazerfodder likes this.
  15. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

This i reckon.

20210114_205243.jpg

Christiansmith and Diego like this.
  16. Christiansmith

Really couldn’t argue with that. Shows the progress we made in 12 months.

Diego likes this.
  17. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Before the start of this season i would have had Alisson before de Gea but fair play, David seems to have got his game back now so i would go with that choice.

18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I'm going to throw this out there for the Livpl game... spot the difference <whistle>

---------------------De Gea-----------------------
    AWB---------Bailly---------Maguire------Shaw
    --------------Pogba--------Fred-----------------
    Diallo-------------Fernandes---------Rashford
    ----------------------Cavani

19. Christiansmith

No way will solskjaer throw Diallo in at a deep end. Too early for him. Greenwood if he wants an offensive side but he probably would go with McTominay and Fred in front of the defence with Pogba on the left and Rashford on the right. Cavani at the top with Fernandes in the 10 role. Likely 4-2-3-1 formation.

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Can't see him playing Diallo!

How about this. Solid base at midfield, all the flare up front;

---------------------De Gea-----------------------
    AWB---------Bailly---------Maguire------Shaw
    --------------McTominay--------Fred-----------------
    Fernandes------------Pogba---------Rashford
    ----------------------Cavani

The alternative to this is McTominay doesn't play, Pogba drops back ,Bruno at 10 and then you've got Mata/James or Greenwood on the right.

Personally I don't support this clamour to Greenwood as a starter as I didn't think he's there yet. He's still an impact sub for me.

Christiansmith likes this.