1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Burnley vs Newcastle

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by JakartaToon, Nov 23, 2018.

?

Will we win this?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2018.
  1. Definitely

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Probably

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. Possibly

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Possibly Not

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Probably Not

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  6. Definitely Not

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. Don’t Know

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  8. Not Applicable

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Monday 26th November 8.00pm
    Turf Moor

Newcastle attempt to keep their unbeaten run going with a trip to Burnley on a Monday night.

According to Betfair we are slight favourites to win this. Based on our away form against teams in the bottom half a 0-0 looks more likely. However the Clarets are not having a vintage season and their home form has been poor.

No news yet on whether Dummett might be fit but Lejeune is back in training so there are a few options to move one of the central defenders to the left or pull Kenedy back. Apparently we are looking for a left back in the January window.

Its probably on TV, unless the PL have moved it just to piss us off.

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  2. JakartaToon

Forum Moderator

I reckon we will win this bit it won’t be pretty.

3. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Going for a 1-0 loss with Chris Woods scoring their goal

4. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

Because the Boomtown Rats didn't like Mondays and they had nothing to do with Burnley, I'm going for a 3-1 win to the lads.
    It's s good job I'm not running out of genuine reasons for predicting 3-1 wins.

5. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

3-1 away win and an impressive performance by the big fella Salmon Roasted

6. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

2-1 win for the boys, otherwise my prediction is wrong!

Rondon and Ritchie to get the goals.

Captainchaos. likes this.
  7. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

There is lots of overlap in those choices, Probably is as open-ended as Possibly, and Possibly is the same thing as saying Possibly Not, and Possibly Not carries the same suggestion as Probably Not, and Don't Know is basically the same as Possibly in this case, and Not Applicable might as well just be Don't Know!

Burnley ain't as good as last season, so mebbe, but I got no confidence in us.

JakartaToon likes this.
  8. JakartaToon

Forum Moderator

Just pick one - don’t overthink it.

9. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Fancy us to win

G4rdToonArmy likes this.
  10. G4rdToonArmy

Nailed on for the win then HOWAY THE CAP'N

11. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

Gone for the old N/A. Match called off for the weather conditions being 'too Burnley'.

I reckon we'll sneak a draw. Burnley are ****e but we will have to play either Kennedy/ Manquillo at LB. That completely offsets difference in form

JakartaToon likes this.
  12. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

Anyone got any match day memories of when we have played Burnley away in the past

I still remember going to Burnley on boxing day 1979
    Took 4 trains to get there Newastle to York - York to Leeds - Leeds to Manchester then Manchester to Burnley
    Arrived at Burnley train station (late)
    About 3.15pm along with about 300 others where torrential rain poured out of the blackened skies as we all set off running towards Turf Moor. Weaving in and out of side streets as we slipped and slided over cobbled roads not a soul in sight other than 300 soaked to the skin Toon fans.
    We eventually got to Turf Moor at about 3.30 only to find the turnstiles were shut
    Some of the turnstile doors were then forced open and we clambered over the small metal turnstiles, we then ran to the top of the stairs to get our first glimpse of the game only for Burnley to score as we gasped getting our breath back (bugger)

I cant remember too much about the game itself other than we scored 2 goals in the game and they scored 3
    We set off back towards the station still soaking wet from getting here and no chance of drying out as the rain continued to pour
    I can remember there was no trouble with the home supporters, most likely due to the rain and everyone wanting to get home.
    As we got into the station there was a train standing at the platform and we just dived straight on not knowing where it was going. Little did we know it was heading towards Preston- the opposite way to Manchester
    We all got off at some little station and waited for the Preston to Manchester train
    It wasn't too long before one arrived and we were off again heading towards Manchester
    I can remember people taking off their coats as they were soaked to the skin
    But I kept mine on remembering a documentary I had watched saying it would be warmer to keep wet clothes on than ti take them off, plus they had to put them back on again freezing cold
    We got into Manchester station only to see at the other end of the station about 2000 Spurs fans heading home after their game against Man U.
    I thought ****, this could get nasty. As the name calling and finger waving started to increase over the platforms about 30 police ran over to the Spurs fans to get them onto their train which had just arrived
    We had our own ideas of what we would do as soon as the first of the Spurs tried to come across the railway lines but luckily it never came to that. The Jouney back to Leeds was uncomfortable as there was no seats to sit down in and many Toon fans found themselves lying down in the overhead luggage racks above startled passengers ha ha
    By the time we set off from Leeds to York
    It was about 8pm and people were were very quiet and feeling tired
    We racked up back in Newcastle about 11.10pm
    We missed our last bus home and a 6mile trek back was all that we had to look forward to until one of the lads rang his dad and he came out to pick us up in his pick up truck. There was 3 of us in the back of the open truck soaking wet, freezing cold and totally exhausted
    Hence I have never been back to Burnley since <laugh>
    So for all you that are going to Turf Moor have a safe dry jouney :emoticon-0148-yes:

3 - 2 to the Toon

Seabass, mallafets123, LiamO and 4 others like this.
  13. G4rdToonArmy

Who would people like to see covering LB in Dummy's absence?

Options are really Clark, Kenedy, Manquillo and Lazaar. Sterry and Gibson also potential contenders but maybe off the bench instead of starting.

Would be interested to see what Rafa does but I've got a feeling Clark is going to get the nod. Gives a bit more flexibility if we want to switch to a back 5 with Kenedy moving back to LWB and is natuarlly left footed. Could be Rafa moves Kenedy back and gives Murphy a run out as he has been talking about him this week also.

14. JakartaToon

Forum Moderator

But did you have a Hovis Sandwich when you got home that made the whole day alright?

15. JakartaToon

Forum Moderator

Having re-read this story I think its made up bollocks - whoever heard of trains on Boxing Day.

16. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Going with another 40 from Peterlee. Haven't been to Burnley for years.
    Once down there I saw a hot dog seller in a row with some Geordie who said he'd short changed him. The seller ended up getting covered in sauce and mustard out of the squirty bottles. All you could see was the whites of his eyes <laugh>

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.
  17. Hung Drawn and Quartered

That's why the journey sooooo long forgot to add we set off from Newcastke at 8am

18. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Was that not at Manchester????
    My mate got short changed by a hot dog seller and he covered him from head to toe with tomato ketchup because he refused to cough up

19. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Might have been, but I'm sure it was Burnley. Still one of the funniest things I've seen in my life. Absolutely covered he was!

20. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Aye my mate did it and it was defo at Man U
    He may of done it elsewhere as well<laugh>

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.