1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

BT Tiger Omar Sherif

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by ollyhcafc, May 15, 2014.

1. ollyhcafc

ollyhcafc Active Member

[video=youtube;KAjNYpCCZXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAjNYpCCZXc&app=desktop[/video]

Really like this.

2. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

That really is good.

3. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

That is actual spine tingling good.

4. Charlie1

Charlie1 Well-Known Member

Just wow, how good is that. My Dad is on the crowd scene at the semi final as well. And my BFF's right arm lol. Makes me so very proud I'm a tiger.

5. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I'm not as impressed as you guys. The video is really good but I just don't think the poem means that much in relation to City and I'm fed up of hearing old Egyptians going on out tigers. I don't think it's anywhere near as good as The City's on Fire where the lyrics really have meaning.

6. ollyhcafc

ollyhcafc Active Member

Really its not about the city? Its about our football team The Tigers. Do work for the council?

7. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I haven't mentioned the City. I'm saying it's nothing to do with my team Hull City AFC - apart from the video. The poem is just a generic tiger poem and in this Allam age anything tiger related is forced upon us as Hull City AFC related. I'm bored of it. Do you think Arsenal have loads of Gunner videos? We're just overly obsessed with our nickname at this club, no one else does it, it's a bit embarrassing.

Whether I would feel the same way if it wasn't for Allam's actions this year I don't know.

8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

To be fair, William Blake wrote it in 1794, so it's unlikely he had Hull City in mind at the time.

9. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

It's good to have something classy like this to link in with the club, but i do agree Allam's crusade against all things "City" is doing my head in as well.

We are overdoing it plastering "Tigers" on everything.

There can be other things we as a club can identify in & "City" & "AFC" are amongst them.

10. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

I like it, it's a nice little vid before the Final. And the poem itself, which is read out before every match, has been done so since way before the Allams came in. In fact I think it was from 2005 onwards? (I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong there).

11. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

As TT says this has nothing to do with the Allams. How can any real Hull City supporter not be moved by it. Absolutely brilliant. Makes me proud to wear my "Tiger Legend" T at Wembley on Saturday. Thanks for posting.

12. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Ever since we went to the KC I think, but that version is done in a dramatic way and meant to build excitement immediately before the teams come out. It just seems a bit lazy this one. It's just Omar speaking it.

I'm not saying it's to do with Allam but I fear that Allam has made me start to dislike references to our nickname. I really don't get what's supposed to be moving or spine-tingling about it? It's just a non-City related poem spoken by a semi-Hull-related bloke accompanied by some excellent video footage.

I know it's not directly comparable to a song but for example, The City's on Fire, that's clearly sung by fans and every line has a deep meaning, the video behind it just tops it off, but how is this poem anywhere near as good? What do the lyrics mean? **** all apart from they happen to have the word tiger in them!

13. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

I think "The City's on Fire" is very inspiring but as you say you can't compare the two. "Tiger" expresses the deep meaning and the awesome power of the creature itself which is our logo. Our players, as represented by their uniforms, are the human embodiment of Tigers on the field. If you think the lyrics mean "**** all" then you seem to be lacking in imagination.

14. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

It's a description of a Tiger in it's majestic glory. I can't imagine many people in 1794 had seen a Tiger, so the way Blake wrote it was so that people got an awe-inspiring feeling about this animal. The lyrics, in stark contrast to Blake's 'The Lamb', (which was taken from Songs of Innocence. Actually, the Tyger is mentioned in that poem), ponder not only the ferocity of the animal but also the mindset of the creator and how the Tyger was brought into existence.

We are The Tigers, people know that, so when other fans hear this, it's almost like it's describing the team, not just the animal. This poem has nothing to do with Allam at all.

15. onceatiger

onceatiger Active Member

I think its one of the best poems by one of the best ever British poets, and I think its bloody fantastic that it represents our club in this way.

Tigers are awesome - so are we. UTT++++

16. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

So it really is just the word tiger that does it for you? You sound like Allam!

I'm sure it's a good poem in it's own right, but it's nothing to do with Hull or Hull City, and just having the word tiger in it doesn't make it so. Our players don't go out on the pitch thinking about being tigerish any more than Arsenal's are going to go out trying to behave like gunners. It's just a nickname and I wish we would keep it that way, like every other club. We happen to have the best nickname in English football, but we abuse it and turn it into a tacky, small time thing giving other clubs something to laugh at us for.

17. WSTiger

WSTiger Well-Known Member

No but as Mr Allam said (well he really did not I think) the name has a ring about it and in pieces like this it shows the power of a name. And Mr Allam did say that, he compared it with Apple, Google etc other well known brands; he is just trying to make City a similar sticky brand name using "Hull Tigers".

Its just that many of you don't think he will succeed and prefer to stick with a "ringing" name like "City".

18. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

It's bollocks though.

Anyway, let's not have another name change debate, this thread isn't about that.

19. The Omega Man

The Omega Man Well-Known Member

20. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

Has Omar been to any games ?