1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bruce needs some help

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by whitburnlad, May 15, 2011.

1. whitburnlad

whitburnlad Member

I was never good enough to become a professional footballer but I would have loved to earn a living in the game, preferably (of course) with SAFC. But what could I have done?

I know nothing about coaching and I’ve always been much too lazy to qualify for the necessary badges. My motivational skills are rudimentary being a bit of a ‘half empty’ sort of bloke.

That seems to put the kibosh on a managing or coaching job (although I could probably get the hang of putting the cones out for training but I don’t think you get paid much for that).

I know! An Assistant Manager is what I could have been – you don’t seem to have to know anything and never have to take the flack when everything goes tits up.

Let’s see what you need to be Eric Black.

Er........no idea other than sharing copious bottles of wine with Steve Bruce (something I’m very well qualified to do)

Now it’s difficult to know for sure what Black does or how well he does it. Like a lot of Assistant Managers he’s the invisible man. I’ve used my child-like technical skills to scour the internet but I can find no mention of any coaching qualification (mind you Steve Bruce only has a Mickey Mouse FA Diploma and has never done the UEFA Pro Licence course).

All this came to mind when, for the umpteenth time yesterday, a decent first half performance was followed by a load of dross in the second half. Who’s doing the team talk? Who’s supposed to be motivating the overpaid, strutting, prima donnas? Neither Bruce nor, apparently, Black seems to be much good at it.

We have, however, in our midst, a fully qualified (Pro Licence) coach and a mighty motivator.

Step forward Kevin Ball. I can’t think of anybody better suited to putting a bit of stick about when it’s needed. He’s done a great job at the academy and developed the likes of Henderson, Meyler and Colback (with a few more to come). Is it too much to ask him (and pay him) to get involved with the 1st team both on match days and on the training ground?

Like a lot of people I’ve lost a lot of confidence in Bruce’s abilities during recent months but I can’t think of anybody demonstrably better we could realistically replace him with (I’m no fan of Martin O’Neill). Also, as we know, he signed a new contract this season and it would cost too much too sack him.

I just think he needs more help than he seems to be getting at the moment and involving young KB may well help and seems to have no downside. If it puts Eric Black’s nose out of joint, so be it.

2. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

i can't understand why K.B is not involved with the first team.

maybe because he is doing such a good job with the academy and developing the youths

but i'm sure they must have looked at it, as an option...

3. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Good article whitburn.

Bally is a legend. The players would be **** scared to come off that pitch if they hadnt given 100% (each, not between them).

4. rokereconomic

rokereconomic Member

One of the most sensible posts that I've seen in a long while. If we can see this how come the SAFC hierarchy can't?

5. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

it works for SAF and Pullis so why not with our lot, great idea.

6. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

Bruce is too arrogant to admit to this. Bally should have a bigger role but you know what? Bruce would never allow such a highly popular former playing hero anywhere near the tiller at SAFC in case he was upstaged or marginalised.

The likes of Eric Black are yes men and that's what SB wants. Unfortunatley, that shows in our weak performances over the past 2 seasons.

I'd like to see Bally go away and manage a club in the championship for a few years and then come back and take the reigns at SAFC permanently.

7. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Ditto

8. whitburnlad

whitburnlad Member

I tend to agree Cest. It may well be the case that Bruce is too arrogant to accept that his drinking buddy was being elbowed out but who cares?

I don't think Bruce would want to be with us for more than 1 more season so giving him a reason (through Black going) to flounce out in a huff without a payoff doesn't seem a big problem.

Still don't know who we'd replace him with.