1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Britt Assombalonga

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Mar 24, 2019.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol signing this prolific Championship goalscorer would solve a key problem for Lee Johnson

Bristol City opinion: Johnson should make a move for Britt Assombalonga
    Bristol Live has reported that Bristol City will make a move for Middlesbrough striker Britt Assombalonga. The club were interested in a January move for the Boro star, but no move ever materialised, with Assombalonga opting to stay at the club instead (Bristol Post).

However, things could change in the summer according to the Bristol Live, as the club looks to reinforce their side. At the moment, Bristol City sit in ninth place and have a chance to achieve a promotion playoff spot.

As they sit only two points off sixth-placed Aston Villa, they could make it if they maintain a run of form for the last ten games of the season. But what could complicate things is the fact that the club does not have a reliable striker at its disposal.
    please log in to view this image

Famara Diedhiou is their top scorer by a large margin, with 11 goals in the Championship and the closest next to him is Andreas Weimann.

The former Derby County star has 6 goals to his name, but that is not the issue. Both Matty Taylor and Mo Eisa have 3 goals to their name combined, with Eisa failing to score since arriving in the summer of 2018.

That is one of the reasons why the Robins have struggled, as they have scored only 45 goals this season, the sixth-lowest tally in the Championship. Their defensive record has been rather solid, as they’ve conceded only 38 goals, which is the third-best tally in the league. This shows where the problem lies.

They need a reliable striker and few players come as reliable and affordable as Britt Assombalonga. The 26-year-old has been a consistent goalscorer since his breakout season, scoring an average of 10 goals a season, including 15 and 14 in the last two seasons.
    please log in to view this image

This season alone, Assombalonga has 10 to his name but has struggled since the turn of the year. He’s scored only four goals and hasn’t scored since mid-February. Bristol City need a goalscorer in their team, especially if the club have any plans of making it to the Premier League in the near future.

Britt Assombalonga would be perfect for manager Lee Johnson, given the DR Congo star’s work ethic. A hard worker for any side that he has played for, Assombalonga would fit Johnson’s philosophy.

Conclusion
    While Bristol City do have a chance of making it to the Premier League, the club need a bonafide striker to help their hopes in the near future. Someone like Britt Assombalonga will help the club do exactly that.
    https://soccersouls.com/why-bristol-city-should-make-a-move-for-britt-assombalonga/

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

No **** Sherlock would have made the playoffs and possibly top two if he had arrived in my opinion

3. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

So a player with 10 goals to his name this season would of got us top two, but the player he would be replacing has 11 goals this season?

BCFCRob and AshtonRed like this.
  4. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

As rob said RR his record is similar to Fam’s, I don’t understand your logic.

5. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Its possible that this players goals to points ratio could be higher and his time spent on the pitch could lead to an increase in his team mates scoring contribution.

But the poster did not make that point.

And probably will not.

6. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I won't get too excited about his addition to our squad because I don't think he could be any better than what we already have on the books. I will totally agree that without finding another decent goal sorer or two for next season we will only be a mid table team with very little to show, despite the number of transfer windows Lee has had to make the team a contender.

7. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I’m no coach , just an ordinary punter , but to me the role we ask Fam to play is not his natural role and yet despite that he always gives everything, works his socks off ,and still has a pretty decent goal to minutes played ratio, he’s not perfect by any means and there are many areas he needs to improve on.
    In my view his main problem is he’s not a very intelligent player, but i do believe if he played as part of a two striker combination, or at least wasn't so isolated he would be much better.

Red Robin likes this.
  8. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

I'm glad Britt didn't play against us on Tuesday or we would have been thumped due to his goal scoring prowess. Oh hang on a minute he did!

Bigjohnatyeo, RedorDead and BCFCRob like this.
  9. Red Robin

Would be a cracking signing would score loads with our supply.

10. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

They had 7 more shots than us on Tuesday night!

11. maga1810

maga1810 Member

In the last two games Middlesborough have had 40+ shots and zero goals - not sure how great any of there strikers are - perhaps that is why they are all in the Championship.
    Very easy to say if we had this player we would be in the top 2, very difficult to prove, hence we are all great managers as we can all say I would have done x and we would be better.
    Nearly every team in the country want a goal scorer, the difficulty is finding one that a club can afford. Even then no guarantee the player will "click" at your team.

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  12. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

That statement is spot on. Our Red Robin said that a certain Matty Taylor would be our answer to worldly achievements....but I'm still waiting! <laugh><laugh><laugh>

RedorDead likes this.
  13. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

NOTE THAT PULIS has not been sacked yet ….lol ...and they have another tough one on Saturday

14. Red Robin

Britt Assombalonga scout report with Bristol City interested in Middlesbrough man

Robins transfer target impresses despite Boro's loss on Tuesday

Bristol City were heavily linked to Middlesbrough's Britt Assombalonga late in the January transfer window as the Robins looked for a high quality striker to add to their squad.

The fees necessary for such a move, if successfully transferred, may have been eye-watering judging by recent expenditure by the side from Ashton Gate but the club did not downplay the move in February when remarking on recent speculation.

Both Lee Johnson and CEO Mark Ashton explained that the players they wanted were unavailable in January.

According to our information, that included Scott Hogan (who went to Sheffield United instead), Assombalonga and Eddie Nketiah of Arsenal, who the club also like.

So we kept a close eye on the one-cap DR Congo international player up at the Riverside on Tuesday, with a potential summer deal in the offing...

With Tony Pulis opting to start Assombalonga against a side heavily linked to the powerful front-man, the motivation was clear.

The former Nottingham Forest striker had six shots in total on Tuesday night.

His first headed effort from a deep Downing cross would have gone in but for Bristol City captain Bailey Wright clearing the ball off the line as it headed for the net.

It would have found the net, too, but for the clearance, as Max O'Leary was wrong-footed.

Assombalonga then cut past Dasilva to smash high over the goal minutes and before having two shots from distance late in the game that were well blocked by the Robins defence.

The 26-year-old came closest to scoring when just after the break a well-worked free-kick routine saw Stewart Downing pick out Assombalonga to smash the inside of the post, the ball rebounding to safety for the visitors

In the main, Wright picked up Assombalonga and it was an interesting tussle as both men have tremendous upper body strength and neither are of the tallest players.

Early on it felt like Assombalonga won most duels, and from the former Posh striker holding the ball up Tony Pulis' side arguably had the clearest sight of goal, as Assombalonga spun and played through to Jonny Howson in the first half.
    Despite not winning any tackles in City's away victory, Assombalonga did win four second balls - as many as Famara Diedhiou - and constantly closed down in the final third. He won one aerial challenge to Diedhiou's three (the most attacking) in the match.

A high work rate is a non-negotiable in Lee Johnson's team and the DR Congo international player is not lacking here.

Speaking to our colleagues up north, they believe that Pulis does not see Assombalonga as a target man, and hence the forward has only started 22 of Middlesbrough's 39 games this season.

It's 10 goals in those 22 starts for Middlesbrough, a none too shabby record from the big signing from Nottingham Forest.

Sign him up i say

15. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

But would he be a replacement for Fammy or, hopefully, another squad player?

Despite the players we have, we seem to struggle at times because of the high pressing game we aim for, which, over a period of time, takes its toll on individuals. After 18 days off, and therefore a significant rest, we got back to winning ways against high end opposition. I think this in itself shows that we haven't yet got the strength in depth that is required at this level.

As such, I would go for him as a really useful and accomplished Championship quality addition to the squad.

Red Robin likes this.
  16. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

He is a good player who needs a break - he can count himself very unlucky his goal against us was ruled offside, as it was Patterson who kicked the ball to him, albeit via Boro player deflection. He has good pace and I do believe he would have added a new dimension to our side, but it wasn’t to be.
    I do think the Championship is his ceiling though.

Red Robin likes this.
  17. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I think we had some (well overdue) luck vs Boro. They battered us for large parts of the game - particularly the first half. I also think that although outplayed for most of the game vs Norwich, they gave it a good go in the last 15 mins and were unlucky there too - could have been 4 points from their past 2 games and they ended up with 0.
    Similar has happened to us far too often too over the past seasons so I don’t feel too sorry for them though!!!

18. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

every team gets a similar patch of 4 or more games when they expect 10-12 points and finish up with or zilch

19. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

City have played with a medium block v high press much of the season and screened then pressed when the ball enters zones.

20. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

F*ck me Clifton - wished I'd have known this when I played.