1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

British Managers

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by The IncREDibles, Oct 11, 2015.

1. The IncREDibles

The IncREDibles Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Jurgen Klopp has joined and frankly believe that Rodgers left 4 months too late, but after the experiences that Rodgers and Moyes have had, I think it will be a very long time before another British manager competes in the Chanpions League.

Thoughts?

2. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

I think a few more need to go abroad. Moyes has done it, Rodgers always said he wanted to and might be a good chance.

I I think issue with a lot of British coaches is that they only have knowledge of the British market so majority of their signings tend to either be British or come from the premiership which is expensive and puts extra pressure on.

3. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I think it also comes down to the coaching structure as well - across the continent, managers delegate recruitment to scouts and DOF. Over here, it's the manager who does everything.

I think if English clubs adopt the continental structure which allow managers to focus more on coaching, then we may see more improvement.

mmanson9878 likes this.
  4. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

England is just average. We have average players, average national team and average managers. It's on all levels and can't compete with Germany, Spain etc.

5. Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion but this thread is about British managers, not English <whistle> :bandit: :p

6. LuisDiazgamechanger

If Roy Hodgson wins tonight = 10 out of 10. No one matches it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

7. saintKlopp

If only we'd had him as our manager..... :(

mmanson9878 likes this.
  8. astro

astro Well-Known Member

And then 0/2 in the actual competition again

9. Garlic Klopp

Garlic Klopp Well-Known Member

To be fair to Roy he has a decent record as a national team manager. It's probably because most national teams set up not to lose as a first priority, whereas in the league you have to win games to succeed, there is none of this lets draw to the bigger teams in the group, beat the lesser teams and get out of the group. Then try and get to penalties against the better teams in the knock out stage.

That's basically what Greece did when they won the European Championship, they were nowhere near the best footballing side in it.

10. Shouldn't that be 0/3...?

11. I think it as more to do with playing the equivalent of the Dog & Ducks reserve u13's B team ten times ;)

saintKlopp likes this.
  12. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Approx 200 teams in the world. Avstage would be about 70th place to 130th place.

We're consistently a top 20 nation. Only once fell out of top 20 in recent memory and that's because of Woy flubbed the world cup.

England is a good (but not great) footballing country.

13. No, no, no, no! You have it all wrong. you see, when judging footballing entities and determining whether or not they are average you are not allowed to use all teams. It must only be the recognised top few in order to make the club in question either average or below average.

For example, a player is average when they are only good enough for a mid-table PL side. No other football below the PL exists when rating these players.

I would imagine only the top twenty international ranking places count when considering England although with the team supposedly doing well against Dog & Ducks reserve u13's B team's in the last couple of years, England are ranked a little higher so maybe only the top ten are considered know. Afterall, England can't be rated higher than average can they <whistle>

PS...England are actually **** and will be until the manager is changed to someone with a pair of bollox (sorry @luvgonzo)

14. astro

astro Well-Known Member

There's a third game? <yikes>

I thought after the 2 group games we'd proceed directly to Rooney's testimonial?

Super G Ted'inho and saintKlopp like this.
  15. Okay, I'm going to ask the question. As the tournament format changed so groups are now just three teams as a result of there being 24 teams involved?

16. LuisDiazgamechanger

Roy has done it !. Give credit where credit is due :emoticon-0148-yes:<applause>

17. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

You won't see him getting much credit on here pal, kopites have hated Woy since the day he walked into Anfield.......

18. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

Hating him as our manager has zero to do with his England managership, he's done ok in an easyish qualifying group but he was part of a mechanism that would have taken LFC down the tubes if he hadn't been booted out when he was.
    His chance to show his true managerial credentials comes in the Euros, he's had time and patience to put his own choice of players in(including a kid with only a few league games under his belt), if he reaches the final it'll be a massive achievement, if he reaches the semi's he'll keep his job, but anything less and the England manager merry-go-round starts again with Big Sam the likely prospect.

So good luck with that Engerland.<ok>

19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

England have made a dogs breakfast of supposed 'easy' qualifying groups before, so whilst it was always a group that they should have qualified from, to achieve 10 straight wins is a notable achievment and I think it's harsh to not acknowledge that fact.

As for his time at Liverpool, you lot weren't having him from the minute his name was announced, for a whole host of reasons, and the bloke was on a hiding to nothing at Anfield from day 1.

20. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Because he's pants, his football was pants, and he talked to the fans as if we were a relegation team who were lucky to get draws against some teams...