1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread British Grand Prix Awards

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by taeleon, Jul 11, 2016.

1. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

Best Driver:
    Worst Driver:
    Best Rookie:
    Best Team:
    Worst Team:
    Best Overtake:

Most Surprising Result:
    Least Surprising Result:
    Funniest moment:
    Excuse of the week:

Special Mention:
    Best post from the race thread:
    Race Rating: ?/10

cosicave and DHCanary like this.
  2. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Verstappen.
    Worst Driver: Wehrlein, inexperience showed unfortuntly.
    Best Rookie: Haryanto but only just, both DNFed so shouldn't really give it to either.
    Best Team: Mercedes.
    Worst Team: Ferrari (they are going backwards at the moment it seems).
    Best Overtake: Verstappen on Rosberg

Most Surprising Result: Button starting as far back as he did due to not getting out of Q1 (is this supposed to be race only?)
    Least Surprising Result: Rosberg struggling in the rain.
    Funniest moment: Verstappen thinking he was catching Lewis when in reality his engine was turned down a bit.
    Excuse of the week:

Special Mention: Alonso - Wish McHonda would give him a better car already!
    Race Rating: 5/10 Wasn't bad but wasn't great. Would have been better if it didn't start behind a safety car or the safety car didn't stay out until the track was ready for Inters.

3. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Lewis
    Worst Driver: Palmer
    Best Rookie: None
    Worst Team: Ferrari & McLaren - lacking both performance and reliability.

Most Surprising Result: Ferrari's performance deficit
    Least Surprising Result: Saftey car start - we might as well not run in the wet.
    Funniest moment: N/A
    Excuse of the week:

Special Mention: Verstappen for overall performance and Rosberg who seems to have Lewis's car from early in the season.
    Race Rating: 3/10 Saftey car start ruined the race.

4. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Max Verstappen
    Worst Driver: Seb Vettel
    Best Rookie: Haryanto was less bad.
    Worst Team: Ferrari

Most Surprising Result: Ferrari sucked.
    Least Surprising Result: Mercedes pole and win.
    Funniest moment: The endless spinning in turn 1 started to get funny.
    Excuse of the week: All fairly sensible for once.

Special Mention: Lewis i guess. Certainly much quicker than Rosberg. Perez and Hulk also did well.
    Race Rating: 4/10 Meh.

5. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Verstappen / Hamilton, jointly. Alonso very close.

Worst Driver: Given his experience and the expectations incumbent with his status, Vettel.

Best Rookie: Haryanto. His solid performances in a poor car against a highly rated team-mate are turning a few heads.

Best Team: Mercedes / Red Bull. I'd have given this to Mercedes outright if information to Rosberg about his gearbox had remained within the rules. The extra info about how to drive around the problem was unnecessary and foolish. As it was, Red Bull were able to demonstrate that a superb chassis with very efficient aerodynamics can (almost) offset a power deficit.

Worst Team: All told, I'm giving this to Ferrari for a thoroughly sub-standard performance.

Best Overtake: Verstappen v Rosberg – for surprise factor rather than skill. It was a good overtake, but one has to wonder at Rosberg's poor pace in variable conditions. It allowed Verstappen to experiment and plot a move over three laps, and then execute it without any defence. Rosberg was far too compliant.

Most Surprising Result: Ferrari. One would have expected a better performance at Silverstone. Although I think Red Bull's chassis is the best, I did not consider Ferrari to be too far behind – and I'm pretty sure they still have a small power advantage.

Least Surprising Result: Mercedes domination.

Funniest moment: I think I should agree with Julius, above.

Excuse of the week: Can't think of one.

Special Mention: Full wet weather tyres are designed for a purpose. I accept the need for starting under the Safety Car, but there was no need to do more than three laps before getting on with the race – and personally, I'm in favour of just two.

Best post from the race thread: I suggested this category be included here, in these awards. It's getting very little input though. Should we withdraw it or just leave it be?

Race Rating: 5/10. I have to agree with the criticisms about the Safety Car start: it went on twice as long as it should have. The fundamental point is to allow drivers to familiarise themselves with track conditions, not to attempt to dry the circuit! If Pirelli are required to provide wet weather tyres, let the drivers use them properly! As it was, as soon as the SC came in, more than half the field went straight onto Intermediates, and those who didn't were in next lap. Ridiculous! Let the drivers demonstrate their skills!

dhel and JonnyBaws like this.
  6. cosicave

I've just had a quick look at recent posts in the race thread.
    Although it is of course a bit 'after-the-fact', I saw this comment from dhel, in which he was responding to 2xwdcslayer and his funny, over-the-top Hamilton praise. It has to be a good candidate for best post of the thread.

Julius Caesar and taeleon like this.
  7. cosicave

I seem to remember some discussion of this long ago. I believe the conclusion was that awards be for the weekend as a whole, although of course, the race will usually be the most influential factor.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

Best Driver: hmmm Hamilton
    Worst Driver: dunno... race was so you you know.. the safety car driver looked completely **** on the opening lap.
    Best Rookie: the usual
    Worst Team: Ferrari another **** show.

Most Surprising Result: ferrari manage to blow it again.
    Least Surprising Result: F1 ruin another race.
    Funniest moment: grid walk maybe. brundle giving it large to frnak bruno and him obviously not knowing who the **** brundle was.
    Excuse of the week:

Special Mention: Verstappen for overall performance and Rosberg who seems to have Lewis's car from early in the season.
    Race Rating: 2/10 I agree safety car at start was a joke.