1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

British Grand Prix 2019 - Silverstone

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Ciarrai_Abu, May 10, 2019.

1. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

I have been invited to this year's Grand Prix in Silverstone and have been able to get an extra ticket for my 14 year old son who is a fanatic. It will be a first Grand Prix for us. We will be travelling from Ireland and need to book flights. While I know the race starts at 2:10pm and takes about 2 hours, my son will want to make the absolute most of our time in Silverstone.

Does anyone know what takes place before and after the race so I can figure out what time to aim to get there and what time we will likely leave?

Also, best airports for Silverstone?

2. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

You are going to have an excellent time - I'm very jealous. You should definitely plan to watch some of the support races too, as these can be really good and at certain tracks (thankfully not Silverstone!) they can be better than the main event. I don't think the detailed timings for Silverstone have been released yet, normally 2-4 weeks before the race, and not sure if you're going for just the Sunday or Saturday too?

Typically you'd expect there to be 1 or 2 support races - Forumula 2, GP3 etc. Can make the day a lot longer, but you can also often get a better seat for one of the support races as lots of people don't arrive, and then move to your seat for the main event.

Hope helpful and enjoy the experience.

Ciarrai_Abu likes this.
  3. Ciarrai_Abu

Cheers. The day couldn't be long enough for my son. I expect us to be queueing at the gate for it to open. Do you know if there is anything after the main race that is worth hanging around for?

4. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Enjoy mate it’s a great day out.

I live about 25 miles up the road and can promise you that the traffic will be chronic. Don’t expect to be off the site until at least an hour after the presentations, which I am sure your lad will want to see, and plan for snail pace from the track onto the motorway (similar arriving). I’d recommend getting an early flight out and a late one back. It’s worth it though.

I haven’t been for ages, as far as I can remember not much happens after the Grand Prix except more boozing. The teams tend to pack up quick so it’s not as if a wander round the paddock is much fun.

Ciarrai_Abu likes this.
  5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Ps I reckon Birmingham is the best airport, followed by Heathrow. Both a sprint up the M40 from different directions. Gatwick and Stansted complete nightmares.

6. Ciarrai_Abu

Thanks. What about Luton? Is that an option?

7. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Actually not too bad, up the M1 then left. I hate the airport so much I forget it exists. How are you getting from the airport to the track?

8. Ciarrai_Abu

Planning to hire a car.

9. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Yeah, leave lots of time and make sure your race tickets include parking

Ciarrai_Abu likes this.
  10. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Hi Ciarrai, according to google, nearest airports to Silverstone as follows.

1. Luton 51.2km
    2. Birmingham 63.6km
    3. Heathrow 79.4
    4. East Midlands 84.8.

Hope you enjoy your day.

Ciarrai_Abu likes this.

11. Turkish" Premier" Hoops

Turkish" Premier" Hoops Well-Known Member

Be aware they close the A43 on race weekend from the Thursday night to the Monday morning and access is only granted with a valid race ticket, if you are staying in a hotel or B&B etc book early as they fill up fast and if given a choice Birmingham airport, straight down the M42 onto the M40 and off at at junction 10 then follow signposts for parking etc, also some of the car parks are a fair walk from the track, also be aware the traffic is horrendous and sometimes takes hours and I mean hours to get out onto a motorway, because of this I wouldn’t book a flight back on the Sunday I would go with Monday, enjoy you’re day and take your own food if possible as food and drink is expensive once inside the circuit.

kiwiqpr, sb_73 and Ciarrai_Abu like this.
  12. Ciarrai_Abu

Thanks all for the various tips and info. Have decided to fly into Luton the evening before and out the day after the Grand Prix. That way the lad can enjoy a full day in Silverstone and we will be under no pressure time wise and won’t have to worry about traffic and flights. Thought accommodation might be an issue but there doesn’t appear to be a problem with budget hotels, particularly nearer Luton.

finglasqpr likes this.
  13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Not sure where the season F1 thread is, or if it exists.

Can’t blame Hamilton for being a top driver and Mercedes for having the best car set up.

But man it makes for boring sport. Come on other teams, buck your ideas up. Versteppen and Leclerc look like potentially great drivers, if they had the machines to go with their talent.