1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

British German or Anglo German Cup

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by RoryFSmith, Jun 13, 2016.

?

Would you support a British German Cup?

1. Yes - It would be a good replacement for European football games.

2. No - There are too many games so far.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. RoryFSmith

RoryFSmith Member

I am putting forward a new football trophy that could give extra games to English and German teams, plus invited teams from other nations.
    The motivation.
    England and Germany have a very strong football rivalry, and two of the strongest, if not the strongest leagues in European, and indeed world football. It is the equivalent of a derby rivalry in international football like Scotland V England is.
    My idea is to take advantage of this intense national rivalry by holing an Anglo German Cup, between club sides from the top division.
    My preferred option would be for all clubs from the top divisions of the German Bundesliga and English Premier who have not qualified for Europe to play in a straight knockout tournament, of one leg each. The final could be played at Wembley each year.
    Extra teams from Scotland and the other Germanic nations.
    My idea would also include inviting from the Scottish league Glasgow Celtic, Glasgow Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibernian into the trophy to give them experience each year guaranteed to playing big non Scottish clubs. It would be the same Scottish teams invited regardless of league position to ensure big games for the big Scottish sides.
    Plus we could also invite more teams from the other Germanic nations to take part, such as from German speaking Switzerland, the famous team Basle, and from German speaking Austria, Rapid Vienna, and Salzburg.
    Teams who qualify for Europe are punished in Europe
    One problem with English football is that teams who succeed, and qualify for Europe, are almost punished the next season because the next season, so they are almost punished for qualifying for Europe. This trophy would ensure they play more games, even if they do not qualify for the Europa League and Champions League.
    Scottish teams would love this trophy
    I think Scottish teams would love to play in this trophy because they would love the guarantee of each year playing big English and German sides. As an Aberdeen fan I would love my team to be guaranteed games against big English sides every year. I would also be happy for Scottish teams to have to qualify for the trophy with say the first 4 teams in the Scottish Premier qualifying.
    Glamour Games
    Imagine mouth watering games like Southampton v Hamburg, Basle v Swansea City, West Brom v Augsburg, Stuttgart v Stoke City, Eintracht Frankfurt v Everton, Hertha Berlin v Aberdeen, and Werder Bremen v Glasgow Rangers.
    I think this would be an interesting experience of European cross border football for big English Premier teams who often despite being in the top league, can often go 10 years without playing a side from another nations league.
    The final could be at Wembley Stadium every year.
    The games would be intense, passionate and with Scotland and Germany, as two of England’s biggest international derby rivals.
    The number of teams in the trophy could be flexible with even the possibility of inviting the big Dutch teams. Such as Ajax and PSV into the trophy. The Dutch have a big rivalry with the Germans. Some Germans see the Netherlands as their biggest football rivalry, but the Dutch clubs are not as big in financial terms as the
    Why invite Celtic and Rangers?
    I think inviting Celtic and Rangers into the trophy would be vital to add extra big teams into the trophy, who are guaranteed to bring big travelling supports. It could add prestige to the trophy and extra Scotland England rivalry would add to the trophy.
    I accept that in the early rounds, teams might not get big crowds. For instance top English sides might not take playing my favourite team Aberdeen, or Basle, as a big game and would probably get lower crowds than they do in the Premier League. But as the trophy goes on the games would get bigger. If 70,000 fans can turn up for the lower division English trophies then surely can get big crowds for big English Premier and German Bundesliga sides. Also for clubs from Scotland and Austria this would be a massive trophy. So stadiums would be packed. Cup games are more interesting than league football in my view. Winning a cup is more interesting than any league position other than champions or relegation.
    Not a replacement for European football
    I am not suggesting that this trophy would be instead of Europa League and Champions League football. Scottish, English, German and Austria teams would still enter sides in the Europa League and Champions League.
    Would UEFA allow it?
    I do not see why not. After all they have allowed the Royal League in Scandinavia and the Sentana Cup in Irish football, between two different leagues. It would not be a threat to the Europa League and Champions League. It would help Scotland and gives big English and German clubs who do not play in European football, some big games.
    Another addition could be a British German Cup made up of all English Premier and German Bundesliga teams who have not qualified for Europe plus the top 4 sides of Scotland, and top 2 sides, each, of the Northern Ireland and Welsh leagues.