1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

British Champions Long Distance Cup - Ascot Saturday

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Ron, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have always been a big fan of Stradivarius and, when I saw the 10/11 available ante post, my initial reaction was that this was very generous. However, having looked at the opposition, this is probably the stiffest test he has faced in his career and suddenly, those odds look skinny. I would love him to add this to his growing tally of Group wins but let’s just have a look at some of the others

AOB puts 5 horses in opposition and 3 of them look to have equally good chances in their own right

Capri. Last year he just got the better of Cracksman over 12f and he ran a cracking race in the Arc this year. Although Enable was not at her best in that race, Capri was only 3l behind Sea of Class and half that distance behind Waldgeist. In his only run beyond 12f he beat Crystal Ocean and Stradivarius in last year’s St Leger

Kew Gardens was just behind Capri in the Arc but was doing his best work at the finish. In his only race beyond 12f he beat Lah Ti Dar by 2¼l and the Derby 2nd by 9l in this year's St Leger

Flag of Honour, since stepping up in distance, has won his last 3 races (all over 14f) the latest being a clear cut victory in the G1 Irish St Leger

Completing AOB’s hand are:

Sir Eric who, until August this year had run only twice; 8f on sft and 9f on hvy (both maidens). Stepped up to 10 f in Aug he won a maiden and then stepped up again to 12½F Sft in listed company, he stayed on well to win by 4l

Cypress Creek, who finished behind Flag of Honour in the Irish St Leger but was stepped up to 16f for the first time in a G3 next time out and won by 2¾l, staying on well

This looks to be a very strong hand from AOB

Thomas Hobson, Weekender, Desert Skyline and Mount Moriah all seem well exposed and held

Conclusion. AOB could pull this off again but with which one? I don't feel Stradivarius should be at such short odds faced with this opposition. Therefore No Bet

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    redcgull likes this.
  2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Capri and Kew Gardens will not be taking part