1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Britains Gay Footballers

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Nobbys Trumpet, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobbys Trumpet

Nobbys Trumpet Active Member

I'm not sure if anyone watched the documentary on BBC3 on Monday but I thought it was quite clear that football in general is stuck in the past regarding the subject.

If a player for us was gay and openly admitted it, would it make you feel any different towards the player?

If we played against a team which had a gay player would you make any gay remarks/chants, and what would be discriminating or just banter; is their such a diverse line between them?

P.s. The presenter Amal Fashanu is pretty hot. <laugh>

2. steviemac14

steviemac14 Active Member

That caught my attention too.

3. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

It is generally believed that Xisco is gay.

He is a fairly unpopular player but I have never heard any NUFc supporter slag him for being gay, as opposed to just useless. If a completely useless foreign sicknote can escape any anti-gay sentiment, then I think anyone can.

As for opposing players, some chants might happen but I think that it would require smething more than homosexuality itself - - if an opposing player was dating some other famous person or had managed to get themselves publicly in a spot of bother, I can see that being worked into a chant that involved his sexuality. I would be surprised at any chants that were just "Your striker's a poof"

I think probably the apprehension of fan backlash is far higher than the reality would be

4. Quendo

Quendo Member

I agree with Fred. I don't think the footballing world would single out a footballer for being gay, especially in this country. Though if for what ever reason a player did something controversial or negative that involved a particular set of fans, it would probably be used against him.

5. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

I thought the documentary was pretty shocking, in truth. She went shopping half way through, then watched ANOTHER documentary on the topic infront of our eyes...

She had a very biased opinion on the whole thing, and when she met the very liberal Matt Lucas, who in my opinion exhibited the only sensible opinion on the entire thing, she basically dismissed him and talked to an old pundit she could milk for anti-gay feeling.

"We can see you holding hands" is surely not offensive at all, as Lucas said, yet what happened to Sol was utterly horrifiying. My girlfriend, who watched the documentary with me and is a ST holder, suggested in the case of the former, that she would just proceed to hold hands as protest... At which point I highlighted the fact that I'm, contrary to popular belief, a man, thus that's not the brightest response unless you give my ST to a lesbian...

I wrote an article on old 606 after a BBC documentary on BBC1, which dealt with the same topic and was similarly damning in its conclusion. This article still represents my feelings on the matter. I don't give a flying F@@@ what footballers put their penis into when they go home. It's none of my business. My business is supporting my team, and watching good players (and Perch) play for my entertainment.

Football is entertainment, and what entertainment doesn't have homosexual participants? That's show-business baby.

6. Nobbys Trumpet

This was my general opinion as well.

The other thing (if you watched the documentary) is that the only top player who would do an interview was Joey Barton, nobody else would, does that mean that they think it is wrong to be gay in football or that they aren't really that bothered about it to do a 10minute interview.

7. Nobbys Trumpet

I thought the insight of the documentary was good; as much as I knew about Justin Fashanu being gay and committing suicide I didn't know anything else. I thought the response which John Fashanu did was very angry and a bit on the naive side.

Your end sentence is spot on, however, why is there no current gay British footballers?

Also I don't know where she got her stats from but it can't be true that 1 in 10 men are gay?

8. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Based on starting outfielders maybe? <laugh> Taylor and Krul are definitely gay for each other!

Apparently some people, or even the majority, in countries like Turkey are more inclined towards bisexual (we'll take what we can get) orientation. That liberal attitude isn't really fitting with the British sense of proper is it? Still don't think people would openly slay gay footballers anymore (maybe a minority) especially if the police did their jobs at games instead of watching the football and picking on people for standing up and clapping to keep statistics up...

9. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

I thnik that most of the m would ask "How much od you pay for an interview ?"

10. nufc4life

nufc4life Guest

did sol cambell get any abuse ????

11. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

The trouble is no one knows what percentage of men are gay - - all you know is that it is more than will admit to it.

The 10% figure has been around for about 40 years. It was based on a statistically large sample. The sample, though, was of young men who had one way or another become involved with social services. Some people suggest that young gay men are more likely to be fostered, in trouble at school, a young offender, etc than the general population.

The general range bandied about is about 4% - 10%. Taking the lower estimate, that means that there are at least 20 first team premiere league gay footballers

12. Cal.

Cal. Active Member

I found the documentary itself to be terrible, but then again what would you expect from a fashion student only making it because of their uncle (and possibly to raise their profile)? Over the next few decades I'd expect there to be plenty of openly gay footballers as the 'old boys' die off or retire.

13. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

Yes off Tottenham fans, his brother went to prison for smacking someone about it.

14. The Situation

The Situation Active Member

To start of with the documentary was very biased and just tried to make the old guard look very much like well old and out of touch.

Secondly I don't understand why this is an issue, why do we need to know players sexuality, the answer is we don't. The players have a right to a private life, so they simple just don't tell people as its alot more simple..

Really starting to think that this whole movement is somewhat of a witch hunt to out gay players who don't want to be outed...

Although the presenter was fairly fit! So some allowances there.

15. nufc4life

nufc4life Guest

i agree with this in a respect but a lot of the trouble is from ****ty papers making there headlines there to blame

16. MF SHAK

MF SHAK Well-Known Member

she was ****in gorgeous. prettiest girl ive seen on tv in a while

John Fashanus a weird ****er mind, Id imagine his brothers death affected him deeply but he's always seemed really robotic and guarded, you never get the feeling youre seeing the "real" him .

I doubt there were would be much fuss made over a gay footballer in this day and age, theyd get a few chants their way but would be more humorous than anything. Unless of course im being really naive. Thin line and all that.

17. Ameobi's Apprentice

Ameobi's Apprentice Active Member

This. I wrote something similar in another article. I thought she was trying to expose a gay footballer and at points, i found some bits cringing to watch.

From a personal view on the matter; If a friend told me he was gay, i wouldn't be bothered in the slightest. Infact, i'd probably give him a slap on the arse and tell him not to ever bum me.

But, there will be homophobic people who can't accept it.

18. StoneyNUFC

StoneyNUFC Member

I notice Sylvain has an earing in both ears... he is french though.

I couldn't care either way tbh. I would give them a shade of respect if they are open about it though, tough world out there lol

I suppose chants would be discrimination, but only because so many people would mean it. If everyone had the same attitude (that it doesn't matter) then I dare say the chants could be seen as just a bit of a laugh. Like mates will give each other friendly jibes about weight or height or colour... wait, scratch the last one :)

Presumably most people on here are hoping on Cabaye? <laugh>

19. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

Thought Cabaye was married.

20. Cal.

Cal. Active Member

So was Elton John <diva>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.