1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bristol City Absolute Disgrace

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Sep 16, 2021.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Luton chief labels Bristol City's towel-gate gamesmanship an 'absolute disgrace'
    Town manager reiterates his desire to see long throws banned

Hatters boss Nathan Jones labelled Bristol City’s gamesmanship during last night’s 1-1 draw at Ashton Gate as an ‘absolute disgrace’.

Throughout the first half, whenever Robins centre half Tomas Kalas went to launch one of his Exocet long throws into the box, he was allowed to spend a good 20 seconds or more towelling the ball down, much to the annoyance of Jones, who was often seen having words with the fourth official about the amount of time being taken.

Then, with the opening period coming to a close, Luton won a throw of their own in dangerou territory, with Harry Cornick looking to hurl it into the area himself.

However, when looking for his own towel to dry the ball with from the ball-boys, Cornick found it had mysteriously disappeared out of sight and despite making both the referee and linesman aware of this, was made to take the throw regardless.

With the attack finished, a member of City's backroom staff suddenly, and apologetically, discovered the missing towel, but it not before a number of the visiting players complained to the officials as the two teams made their way down the tunnel for the break, with words exchanged between both benches too.

Speaking about the incident afterwards, Jones said: “That was a absolute disgrace, an absolutely disgrace.
    "It’s gamesmanship, but it’s a disgrace, there’s got to be something done.
    “I’d ban long throws anyway if I’m honest as they take a minute to do,

"They must have had 15, so 15 minutes out of the game is done, because it takes a minute to do it, to set it up.
    "That’s why I was proud of us as we were the ones creating the tempo, wanting to do things quickly, and after they scored, it’s natural, I understand it.

"But we were having to chase the game and create the tempo and I was proud of that as we were the away team.

"I’m not sure our fans would let us do that at Kenilworth Road.”
    https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/...ate-gamesmanship-an-absolute-disgrace-3385572

2. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh>

3. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Long throws are a waste of time once done. We took Reading by surprise with it. After that all the teams we’ve played know what’s happening. They are too loopy and in the air too long so easier to defend. Same as when Magnusson was doing them, we even done the Icelandic clap, just incase the opposition didn’t know it was coming.
    However back to the article I’m sure we complained when playing Reading to lack of towels.
    Rant over if we score from one again.

4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I did see that incident, have to admit although amusing, was also slightly embarrassing too.....he has a point...

5. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

What hit me watching live again these last 2 matches was the lack of game continuity spoiling my enjoyment of watching my favourite sport.
    These stupid long throws frustrate me but not as much as much as the now usual time wasting tactics of the away team.
    It's as though players are actually trying to drive spectators away from the game.
    I actually looked around the Dolman thinking how do fans put up with this week in week out.

It's about time the FA took time-wasting seriously. It's ruining the game.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  6. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

This was Bristol City. The long throws we're taking longer than twenty seconds to take. City spent up to six minutes taking throw ins. This takes away ball rolling time - Ball in play. What fans really play for.

As noted throw ins are a means to break up momentum. Most players, clubs at all levels will do this.

By putting a time constraint on throw ins the game could be improved at all levels of the game.

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Imagine if towels were being used for every throw. The time lost!!

8. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

no wonder the planet is warming up they used to wipe ball on their shirts!!!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  9. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the long throw.

I would like to see FIFA introduce a rule that says the ball has to bounce before going in the box from a throw-in

10. bcfcredandwhite

I honestly can’t see the problem with long throws. They are a valid tactic in my book and a way of getting the ball into a dangerous position.
    Time wasting is another matter imho and should be punished.
    If a team wants to take a long throw then that’s fine - as long as it’s within the time-wasting countdown.
    Hiding a teams towel is yet another separate matter - a bit of ****housery - ungentlemanly conduct which I found quite amusing (but would have been annoyed about if it happened the other way around) The opposition should make sure they have their own towels to hand if they want to use them for long throws.

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.

11. Redprintt

Can't see a problem with a long throw ?

I can, it's usually a waste of effort and kills any momentum in the game and crowd ruining the game as a spectacle.

12. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Towels normally stay with ball boys. Are you suggesting that the away teams employ their own ball boys?

13. bcfcredandwhite

It’s up to them if they want use of a towel.
    They can’t rely on the home side providing towels - OR - it becomes a rule for towels to be provided

14. bcfcredandwhite

I didn’t say I LIKED it RP - just that I can’t see it being wrong - a bit like long-ball. It’s up to individual teams if they want to deploy it - and as long as the time-wasting restrictions are respected then it’s a perfectly valid tactic.

15. Redprintt

Who said you did ?

You said ' I can't honestly see the problem with a long throw'.

I can.

16. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

How long does it take to complete a long throw in? How long does a free kick take? There are no better means of wasting time than dead balls. The ball is out of play, its not rolling.

Take that to an extreme = Neil Warnocks teams have been involved in games were the ball was only in play for forty four minutes out of ninety. The rules as they are allow that extreme to occur.

17. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

If I was the away team and 1-0 up at Ashton Gate with a minute to go, and the ball goes out for a throw to my team - I would ask the ball-boy for the towel to wipe the ball. Don't see how either us or the ref could do anything about it?

18. realred1952

I don't see how that could work?
    BAN towels is the answer?

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  19. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I think sometimes it has it's place, maybe ban towels, would help.......Used to quite like back in the day Ian Hutchinsoin for Chelsea, with a brilliant long throws, arms continuing in an windmill motion....can't remember towels being required in those days, more like sticky mud!!!

20. realred1952

THE REF allows 20 seconds for the throw in ..blows his whistle and starts time count down to point ball goes over head into play. 4th official adds on xtra time … for each half …. .
    With a free kick clock stops with ref's whistle and starts when ball is kicked!