1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread BRIGHTON v WATFORD

Discussion in 'Watford' started by oldfrenchhorn, Feb 6, 2020.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image
    BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION v WATFORD

AMEX STADIUM
    Saturday 8th February 2020
    Kick Off 1730 GMT

Brighton have been widely praised for their brand of football under Graham Potter this season, but their sole focus over the next few months will simply be on securing their status as a top-flight team.

A run of just one win from their last 10 league matches has seen the Seagulls slide down the table, with 26 points leaving them in 15th position ahead of this weekend's four top-flight fixtures.

Only Watford (5) and Norwich City (4) have actually won fewer Premier League matches than Brighton (6) this term, which will surely be a concern for Potter heading into their final 13 fixtures.

They came from 3-1 behind to pick up a point away to West Ham United last weekend, but the result at the London Stadium followed a disappointing 3-1 defeat at Bournemouth on January 21.

Brighton did run out 3-0 winners in the reverse match earlier this season, though, and will be looking to secure their first league double over Watford since the 1990-91 campaign.

There is no question that Watford have improved under Nigel Pearson's leadership, with the 56-year-old picking up four wins and three draws from his 11 matches in charge of the club.

The Hornets have not won since beating Bournemouth on January 12, though, and have lost their last two against Aston Villa and Everton. They actually led 2-0 against the Toffees last weekend only to concede three times in what would have been a difficult result to take.

There is simply no downplaying the importance of this match when considering that Watford's next two in the Premier League are away to Manchester United and at home to Liverpool.

Pearson has given them more than a fighting chance, though, as despite sitting 19th, they are only two points outside of the bottom three and would move out of the relegation zone with a victory on Saturday.

Team News.

Brighton will again be without the services of Jose Izquierdo through injury, but Shane Duffy and Dan Burn have both made strong progress in their recoveries, with the latter potentially available to start this weekend.

Potter has no other concerns heading into the contest, and there are not expected to be too many changes from the side that started at the London Stadium.

Tom Cleverley has rejoined the Watford squad and is in contention for selection on Saturday’s game with Brighton and Hove Albion.

The midfielder has been sidelined since he limped out of the goalless draw against Bournemouth back in October, but this week has seen him return to full training along with the likes of Danny Welbeck and Will Hughes who returned the week before.

Additionally, Ismaila Sarr is nearing full fitness, but this weekend could come too soon for the Senegalese winger, who head coach Nigel Pearson is keen to exercise caution with to ensure that he returns for the long term.

Our Officials:

Referee: Kevin Friend
    Assistants: Simon Bennett, Adrian Holmes. Fourth official: Simon Hooper. VAR: Andre Marriner. Assistant VAR: Andy Halliday.

:emoticon-0100-smile WHEREVER YOU ARE IN THE WORLD -ENJOY THE GAME :emoticon-0100-smile

2. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Oh, Jesus, not Friend. <doh>

3. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

So, these are Watford's remaining 13 fixtures:

Bri(a), Man"Ighalo"U(a), Lpool(h), CPal(a), Lei(h), Bur(a), Stn(h),
    Che(a), Nor(h), New(h), WSpam(a), Citeeey(h), Ars(a)

We need 17 points to get to 40, (or 15 to get to 38 which could be enough.)

That means 5 wins and 2 draws to get to 40 (or 5 wins to get to 38.)

(I stand corrected if my maths is wrong, It wouldn't be the first time)

Traditionally we could write off the games I have put in red; an assumption, I know. However, I see it as the 9 games in black to get the points to stay up from and it is even debateable IF Arsenal away is one that I should have put in black.

This basically means - No more gifting goals, no more throwing away winning / drawing positions. No more iffy performances. Giving it all we can. Taking our chances and seeing out games.

This only emphasises that Sat is very important indeed. Things are getting a bit close to the final run in now. A lot also depends on other results too, I know. But, we can only concentrate on our own for now. A win is not essential on Saturday, howver, the fixture list is running out a bit to get what we need for survival.

I hope the players are up for it. I hope we can do it. I hope my nailbiting doesn't come back n all.

¡¡¡COYH COYH COYH!!!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Scullion and andytoprankin like this.
  4. Mexican Hornet

I guess we should be ok as this is from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51387924

"The Seagulls still haven't won in the league this season, but fighting back for a draw from 3-1 down is a big positive for Graham Potter and his players - it will feel like a win. Watford, however, were on the wrong end of a comeback, against Everton, and to lose after being 2-0 up at home was a big blow for them. But one thing is for certain, Hornets boss Nigel Pearson will have been at his side all week to get a reaction from them this weekend. I think we will see one, but if it is tight towards the end, I think it will be a nervous ending for everyone after what we saw last week."​

I thought my comments sometimes need proof redaing!! <doh>

5. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Very good luck to the Golden Boys <cheers>

andytoprankin likes this.
  6. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

Andy, you have reminded me of the hymn, "I have found a friend in Jesus".

7. andytoprankin

We might need it with him in the middle.

8. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Really can't lose this one..

9. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

We were woefully unfit and underprepared for the opening game. Plus the decisions didn't go our way - particularly the penalty appeal from Pereyra's free kick - so we have unfinished business... plus Nigel will be looking for a positive reaction to last week's debacle.

10. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Will Sarr be risked as we really do need to win but that might put a doubt on him long term ?

11. andytoprankin

Hopefully not. Get Pedro out on the field.

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Big call on that one I think. If he is 95% do we hope that he will help us get points against one of the so called weaker teams, or hold him back to play against one of the big teams?

13. Mexican Hornet

The lad is far too young to pin any hopes to. I read a report when he played for the U23s and it sounded like he is still a rough potential diamond at best.

14. Mexican Hornet

Is what one paper is saying about the line ups (doubtful starters in light font)
    lineup.jpg

15. Mexican Hornet

I doubt Ferminia and Sarr will play any part. Hope I am wrong mind.

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I watched some video of him and he does have potential, but I would not have thought he was up to 1st team standard yet. Mind you he did not appear for the U23s tonight against Fulham.

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  17. Mexican Hornet

From - https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/s...available-watfords-game-brighton-hove-albion/

"Tom Cleverley’s trained with us continually now so he’s in contention," said Pearson. "We had Welbeck back last week so that’s good for us. We’ll assess Sarr a bit more tomorrow and make decisions on that. [Daryl] Janmaat is going to be back out on the grass with use next week, which is good for us and Kiko’s [Femenia] making progress as well. It’s always a danger to put players at risk with soft tissue injuries and you have to also understand with sprinters, and [Sarr] is a sprinter, there’s more danger. Again, with missing players it’s probably counter-productive to put players at risk when actually they might need an extra week. We’ll assess it - with any injury like that you have to calculate risk and decide whether or not it’s a risk worth taking, but we’ve got 13 games left and it’s important we make sure players like him, when they’re back, stay back.”

Quote from the WO suggests to me Nige is on the cautious side bring players back into the fold. Rightly so.

Still, I hope they are both 100% and ready to play.

18. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Probably in the squad - surely after last week Success won't be ahead of him or Gray!

I agree about not rushing players back and well should we really be relying on a young attacker like Sarr?

Time for the more experienced forwards to step up again.

19. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

Possetta looks good and Welbeck could use some more game time
    I like Marriapa at right back, helps the attack but doesn't often get caught out at the back

20. andytoprankin

We saw Pedro in the Tranmere game and he was up for it. Yes, young, but he has that exuberance and undoubtedly is a talent. Every time he got the ball there was hope, he had a right go and I think he’d be a nightmare to play against.

Hornet-Fez likes this.