1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Brian Tinnion Considering His Future..

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Aug 13, 2019.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Exclusive: Premier League clubs eyeing Bristol City club legend for academy role
    Leading figures in Bristol City's academy unhappy over pathway becoming "blocked" for next wave of Robins talent.

Premier League clubs are circling Bristol City once again this summer - but this time it's not to recruit a player.

Bristol Live understands that Southampton and other clubs in the top-flight are interested in club legend Brian Tinnion.

According to our sources, the Robins' players loan manager is considering his future at Ashton Gate and does not agree with the club's current transfer policy.

Indeed, we understand several leading figures within the academy are unhappy at seeing the pathway "blocked" for young, club-raised talent to come through in BS3.

At least one offer is on the table from a Premier League club but no deal has been agreed as Tinnion, who has been a fantastic servant to the club for some 22 years, weighs up his options.

It must be stressed that, according to our sources, this is not about finances but a "difference of opinion".

Seven academy players have departed on loan to league clubs in England and Scotland this summer while several millions were spent on signing under-23 talent from outside Bristol such as Jay Dasilva from Chelsea, Han-Noah Massengo from Monaco and Benfica's Pedro Pereira on loan.

James Morton and Joe Morrell have impressed at Forest Green Rovers and Lincoln City respectively in midfield this season, and key figures in BS3 believe that the pathway to the first team is now becoming "blocked" for players who are showing that they could be the next Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan.

Further, there is expected to be another wave of talents coming through the ranks behind them in Sam Pearson, Vince Harper and Ryley Towler.

As it stands the only academy graduate in the current first-team set-up is forward Antoine Semenyo, albeit with fellow striker Saikou Janneh injury for four months however the 19-year-old was set to join Doncaster on loan.

From Lee Johnson's perspective, the pressure on his position grows with every positive season and the bar continues to be raised to the extent the expectation on the Robins is now to consistently compete for Premier League promotion.

That is a huge progression from when Johnson took over in 2016 but also means that it creates friction between certain departments as the coaching staff must balance the desire for immediate results with the long-term growth of the club.

Massengo, Dasilva and Pereira have all earned international caps at youth level and represent significant coups for City to attract them to Ashton Gate but there arrival in the first-team also denies a place for a "homegrown" player.

City have captured the attention of several leading figures in the football world in the last couple of years, with fantastic profits made on the sales of Adam Webster and Aden Flint in the last two summers, plus from the sales of academy graduates Bryan, Reid and Lloyd Kelly.

However, that business success has attracted the attentions of several Premier League sides, eager to replicate that same strategy and success that has seen the Robins stabilise in the Championship and boost their own spending to attack promotion to the Premier League.

At the same time, such is the growth in football, academies and youth spending that more clubs are creating a devoted 'Players Loan Manager' role to help monitor, set up and help with loaning out their young talent.

The role is expected to become commonplace at clubs within the game over the next years, according to the respected Training Ground Guru website.

Tinnion, who made 551 appearances for the club as a player from 1993-2005 before a brief stint as manager, returned to Ashton Gate in 2013 to take up the role of director of youth recruitment before moving into the loan department and working as an ambassador for City.
    https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport...exclusive-premier-league-clubs-eyeing-3206551

2. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I always had tremendous respect for Brian and it's sad to hear that he may leave for pastures new especially when some of our moves this summer appear to have upset his personal apple cart. To be honest I have lost all track of the set-up of football clubs today, when it comes down to academies etc, and yet I see things around the game that irk me and one is the seeming ability of the so called big clubs to garner as much young talent as is possible and then not use them.

The days seem to have long gone when players were primarily local, or at least born on the island, and gave their all for the shirt. Today the greed and money being thrown around at the top table makes me wonder why we have to look elsewhere when we have talent just around the corner, or possible loans from some over loaded club?

Back to the subject and all my best wishes to BT in whatever he decides and thanks for the memories.

manxrobin likes this.
  3. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

The academy has made tens of millions of pounds for Bristol City.This money has been used to buy players blocking the pathway into the team.The academy itself works out of a shared facility at the WISE campus. There are points there that need to be evaluated.

4. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

In the back of my mind had a similar thought train .. we beef up the academy to one of the best ------ eat loads of eggs and get constipated. BT is right in a way potential players join our academy to progress into football if the way forward is not clear then go try somewhere else. I can understand LEE being cautious BUT HE IS BEING a bit 2 cautious. So if we have 2 or 3 seasons in top 8 and have a healthy bank balance and a dozen academy players on the books for first team football so be it.
    the present system of loans might work for us, in ever more differing ways …
    eg 8 academy players end of July … 4 stay in squad and get game time up until January. say at least 400-500 minutes any really good result stays in squad others go on loan other 4 get their chance on same terms at the END OF THAT SEASON … 8 players to make decisions on …..

5. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Whilst I get your drift your statement isn’t entirely accurate, Webster wasn’t a product of the academy, profit was made on him by buying, improving and selling on, both methods can be successful, it’s a question of balance. It does get more difficult to bring academy players into the first team as we progress as a team, as the standard needed to play is higher. I agree with your point about facilities. As you said there are points that need to be evaluated.

6. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

I can fully understand the dynamics of the young player scenario when their initial desire is to become a part of the first team set-up at Ashton Gate if possible. After that happens (if it ever happens) then, quite rightly, they want to improve their footballing career by playing at the top level wherever that may be. Does it really make sense if you want to move your team forward to sell all your best assets and then try and replace them with unknown and untried prospects from elsewhere?

Balancing the books is so critical in today's footballing world and yet I wonder if City's preferred way to potential stardom is self defeating especially when you look at the long list of good players that have left our building in the last 2-3 years. Is it a problem with today's young players solely or is it just symptomatic of modern society when young persons want everything immediately or they throw their toys out of the pram? Thank goodness I'm not in football management because I would tell all of the moaners to pack their bags and get lost. Oh happy Tuesday because at least my doctor phoned me this morning to tell me I don't have gout. More Port??