1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Brentford

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Anyone going / anyone care?

Usually this would be a massive YES to me - class ground, great day on the beer however think bar maybe Reading A that'll be me done this season. Just not a lot of interest right now in going / giving the club 1p of my ££££ to be honest. Done and need batteries to charge.....

Roll on next season.

2. Westlake33

Sidenote, 2-1 loss. Go on Folami, you'll net and we'll be talking about you as the next Wickham / Rhodes waxing lyrical despite 1% of TWTD seeing you live.

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I'll go to the Boro match (last game of the season), but I don't think I'll be going to the others this season. I've got a feeling that this is going to be another draw, 1-1.

4. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

2-1 win

5. Westlake33

Brentford just battered Bristol City, 28 shots away from home, outside shot of the play offs at home to unmotivated doldrums us.

I'd be utterly amazed if we got anything but you never know!

Is Ryan Woods back from this? What a baller. We could do with someone of his ilk next season.

6. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Another 1-0 defeat with very few chances created. Does anyone care any more? Only 5 games to go

7. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Knudsen loses us another game with a late penalty, but does anyone care any more? This seasons going to be as bad as last season, no improvement, nothing to instil confidence, dwindling crowds, and no one gives a toss.

8. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Judging by the amount of comments post match the season has already finished!

9. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Sadly it does seem so. Lets hope we can re-kindle our enthusiasm come next August.

10. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Our Season was over long before the announcement was made about the nonrenewal of Mick's contract.BTW please take Jonas with you when you go!

11. Westlake33

Seasons done, ridiculous situation for Mick to still be doing the job.

Feel for the guy - Evans, please act properly for heavens sake. Idiot.

12. Bigalreigned

Why would you feel sorry for him he's only staying on to collect his paycheck.

13. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

A general malaise of indifference seems to have taken hold on our board which is something I've never known before, it's a sad indictment of the situation at ITFC.

14. Nuggets

An apathetic ending to a season that started with a bit of promise, but quickly regressed to the type of football we put up with last season. It would be more bearable if we were set up to have a go at teams, but when you field several defensive players, these scorelines are to be expected against a higher standard of opposition.

We bought wisely and shrewdly in the summer, particularly with Martyn Waghorn and Joe Garner coming in for a combined £1m and both netting double figures this season. Mick cleared out most of the deadwood and gave more minutes to academy players, but ultimately not enough, and the first couple of months bode well with some high-scoring, efficient style of football.

This ultimately broke down when McCarthy predictably reverted to his more negative brand of football and we came up against better teams. Mick was undoubtedly hindered by long term injuries to creative players, but our league position offers an accurate indicator of where this squad probably should be, based purely on quality. Too good for relegation and not good enough for promotion. The problem is that games just aren't entertaining enough, second half against Millwall excepted. We are not set up to attack teams and provide some much-needed entertainment. I can understand grinding results out against more favoured teams when play offs are attainable or we're fighting to survive, but when there is nothing to play for but pride, entertainment, and the enjoyment of the game, then what's the point spending money on inflated ticket prices watching turgid, defensive football? I just hope the new manager has a change of perspective.

San Diego, fieldmarshall and itfcptc like this.
  15. Westlake33

Because, he or any other manager should NOT be in this position.

Evans is the issue at the club - not Mick. People will figure this out when the new manager gets 0 budget and we're expected to do X Y Z again.

Absolute shambles of a club about now.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  16. Bigalreigned

Anyone less cussed than Mick would have walked and preserved a bit of dignity.

17. Nuggets

Why should it be on Mick to walk? We are not having a terrible season, he is clearly liked and respected by the players and staff at the club, and we are probably where we should be in the table. It's the style of football and tactical set-up which is rightly causing unrest. However, any knowledgable football owner would know that is the type of manager Mick is. It's clearly a problem but I believe in this scenario, the onus should be on the owner to dispense of the manager. Evans is quite intent to let this ridiculous situation drag out because he doesn't want to pay Mick off.

fieldmarshall and Westlake33 like this.
  18. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

On paper a shrewd bit of business from Evans. Mick gets to leave on his terms, we don't have to pay anyone off, some headstart in recruiting a new manager and everyone gets some breathing space.

Evans gets, I think, harshly criticized. He does need to invest more in the whole club but he gives managers time and space to do their jobs and a small transfer kitty encourages youth development (with the right manager). The axe is always slow to drop but its always come before damage is irreversable and I'd prefer that than a trigger happy owner.

19. Westlake33

Mike I'd be amazed if we haven't paid Mick a little ££££ for early termination - I cannot imagine for one second he'd walk under the circumstances and from his end
    ' it's alright people are abusing me I'll forfeit any compensation package ' - I'd imagine he's got 50% of whatever the tiny amount he was owed.

Anyway it's academic, that's that and the first day since 2012 without him as gafa today!

20. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

It has been widely publicised as either Mick '"Walking away early" or even more stark "Mick quits 4 games before planned"
    which would suggest he made the decision himself, which would mean we wouldn't need to pay a penny. Plus I imagine (and by the sounds of it from Mick himself) he was fed up enough to walk away