1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Brandon Browner suspended indefinitely

Discussion in 'American Football' started by (Conor), Dec 19, 2013.

1. (Conor)

(Conor) Well-Known Member

So, Seattle cornerback Brandon Browner has been suspended indefinitely for violating the league's substance abuse policy. This follows on from him rejecting an offer to have his ban reduced to a year in return for admission, and the subsequent appeal of the original ban.

Will he ever play again? Will there be a team which will take him? What should Seattle do? Do they need to do anything - Byron Maxwell has filled in superbly in BB's absence.

Over to you, boys.

2. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Free Agent next year so I'd say get rid. The drug test policy in the NFL is a joke compared to the one they have in cycling, those guys have to stand by 24/7 and even hand in a schedule of their whereabouts EVERY day of the year, even in the off-season. The drug testers can show up without notice, so there have been instances where a cyclist was having dinner with his family in a restaurant, the testers came and the guy had to wait an hour or two in the bathroom before he could finally pee in a cup.

3. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

Was that the David Millar incident Cove? Are you a Vélo fan btw? I was gutted when Armstrong finally told the truth. Not so much as to the fact that he doped, although the scale was shocking, blood replacement makes my skin crawl, (I was sick when that vermin Vinokurov won at the olympics, he shouldn't have been allowed to race imo,) but that he was such a lying bastard for all those years.

Thanks to the tight control cycling is much cleaner these days, the NFL and all sport could look to cycling as to how to get it done. Of course the damage was already done and most people still view cycling with suspicion.

With the NFL I think the situation is different, not many cyclist use drugs for recreation, they wouldn't last long if they did. It's all about performance and cheating by using substances to enhance their performance.

I hope Brandon can find the support he needs, maybe for players in his situation they should be tested every day, or as much as is feasible, if they want to carry on playing. This could also help with beating their addictions. When you have that much money it must be pretty easy to build up a habit quickly. They are young guys who need help and guidance, many of them will have come from poor families where drugs are all around them as they are growing up. Unless you have come from a similar background it's not easy to see why these things happen.

4. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

David Millar had several incidents with the agents of the WADA, and there are a lot of incidents with Dutch cyclists in recent years. One rider even had the agents at his door at 4 am and was forced to get out of bed and answer the door half naked...

And yea I'm a wee bit of a velo nutter.

5. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

Are you old enough to remember Joop Zoetemelk? If not Erik Breukink, he was handy.

It's about time Holland had another great to cheer on. Johnny Hoogerland is the only name that springs to mind for me.

I wish we had a network of cycle paths like Hollands:(

6. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Bauke Mollema? He was in second place when they reached the Mt. Ventoux... Unfortunately he got ill the week after, ended up in 6th place when they finished in Paris. And what about Robert Gesink, Laurens Ten Dam? And you know Argos is a Dutch team as well? They won 3 stages with Kittel.