1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bottlers

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Robin, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

what is it,can’t they win after 2-0 up and 3-0 up last week.

Don’t deserve it we just can’t hang on.

Bottlers

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

We gained a point away to Leeds and remain in the top 6, I would have salivated for that last year at this time, we have made good progress, defensive errors yes, disappointed yes, bottlers NO way.

3. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Still top 6 , yes disappointing , but still a point , & another game closer to return of our returnees, as I said previously , I believe our destiny this season depends on how quickly they can return and get up to speed.

Bigjohnatyeo likes this.
  4. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

We've ****ed it up again, really annoying, why can't we close out games properly <steam>

Red Robin likes this.
  5. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Not sure about bottlers.

Tactics?

What was the identity, dna and project today?

Bristol City played like a side manager by Warnock. Long ball, after long hoof. If that is the identity, dna and project buy battlers to meet the criteria.I was hoping Bristol City had moved on from caveman football.

wizered and Redandy like this.
  6. Red Robin

Wiz

This is this season not last,these players and manager have a different identity to last season.
    We were 3-0 up last week and 2-0 up this week,My opinion is LJs substitutes are alful.
    Why put Patterson on playing poor.Woodrow when he apparently has a 10 million pound striker on the bench.
    To much emphasis on the bloody cup.
    Professional footballers,not part timers.
    Thank god Baker is back next game.
    Bloody Carey still rabbiting on about the cup.
    Christ every other teams plays cup games.
    Not good enough second half.

7. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I was just emphasising the progress year on year, I must admit the longball/hoofball/caveman tactics Cliftonville mentioned was spot on, we are still in the top 6 with a shout but with Fulham and Cardiff coming up next we have got to improve to maintain our position.

8. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Sorry to say it but four points thrown away by schoolboy defending by Joe Bryan, third goal for Sunderland last week, and the equaliser today.

9. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

But you were so adamant that we would lose so a point away to Leeds is a good result no?

10. Red Robin

Not when you are coasting 2-0 up and then nearly lose again.
    Concerning :emoticon-0130-devil

11. Bigjohnatyeo

Bigjohnatyeo Well-Known Member

You are right AD...Joe has made a couple of bad defensive errors in last two games but he has won us more pionts, so still in credit for me, he has been terrific this season.

12. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Bryan is not a natural defender and was caught out for their equaliser.
    I think we have a bigger problem at RB and I think it was a mistake not to bring in a RB when Pisano got injured.
    Did LJ take the easy option and play BW there as he didn't want/reluctant to drop him ?
    Remember Bailey Wright was the player LJ gave the No5 shirt and made him club captain last summer.
    In recent weeks we've also had Brownhill and Korey playing at RB, it shows the depth of problem we have there.

Tbf to LJ there was any criticism when we beat Man Utd and so well against Man City.
    Let's get Baker back and surprise a few with better results against Fulham and Cardiff.

Bigjohnatyeo likes this.
  13. Redandy

Redandy Active Member

yes im gutted again today, i do think we have thrown away 4 points tbf, but as i keep banging on about, we are a very good one two touch footballing side with energy an pace, and when we play like that were are unplayable for other teams. Today again second half we played too slow and just kept humping long balls, to no one in particular and enticed them to keep coming at us, this got the crowd and the Leeds players tails up, and we keep proving we can not cope with pressure and balls into our box.
    Oh and lastly ............please can anyone tell me what the hell is still going on with Frankies kicking????????? Surely he works on this.........right?

14. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I thought we were great first half, closing down Leeds (who were dreadful) not giving them a chance to string anything together.
    2nd half we looked like Leeds in the first, lost all sense of composure leading us into playing long balls..
    I think LJ needs to take more time in how to either shut up shop or to play with equal intensity rather than measuring grass......not sure what all that's about...I'm sure Clifton will enlighten me on how by knowing the length of the grass would give us an advantage.........sometimes I think back to basics is key in certain situations!
    Having said all that, had we been 2-0 at HT and came back to 2-2 we would all be fairly happy.....so at least it's not a loss!

15. Cliftonville

I thought it was poor from the off.

The style of football that saw City progress is being erased somewhat. Maybe through injury fatigue but also through personnel and tactics.

Fielding no longer attempts to play to feet from goal kicks short. His distribution is so poor Flint with the aide of England's pack could not rescue the ball.Kent loses possession constantly. The ball is now lost due to playing into a target man.

CB's playing at full back. It lacks passing fluidity.

The above us placing significant pressure on the defence ...

This also affects the manner the team plays defensively as earlier the season the team shape was compact - thirty five metres between all defensive high lines. Recently the tea has been all over the show - low, high and stretched.

16. oneforthebristolcity

I disagree with some of this as I felt we played well in the first half and our passing was good, especially playing away and at a ground like Leeds.....most of the half we looked like the home team.
    However 2nd half I would have to agree with your observation fully.

17. Red Robin

His kicking is diobolical

18. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Poor performance in the second half. Another minute or so and we'd have lost.

We need to put these games to bed, and Leeds, like Sunderland, were there for the taking yet we still squander easy points.

The only saving grace is the points being dropped around us.

Yes I'd have taken a point before KO, but that's really not the point !!

19. Cliftonville

I thought Frank Fieldings distribution from the off was consistently poor (ceased to play it short at all now), Kent lost the ball consistently first half and worsened, the team played direct from the off into a target man leading to constant lost possession.

Possession is defending. Possession is game management. Its very easy and lazy to go bottlers, mentally weak blah, but a teams toughness comes from its game plan.... Bristol City's game plan last night meant the team would concede masses of the ball and need to be super organised, and very good at defending. The team was stretched and error prone, but it was due to the decision to move away from the game BCFC have been good at, and a pleasure to watch.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    manxrobin likes this.
  20. oneforthebristolcity

Also Leeds were dreadful in the first half but improved in the 2nd......It's not always about how one team plays!