1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Boss unsure of more signings

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by James Bond, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Bond

James Bond Member

Newcastle boss Steve McClaren says he will continue asking for more players but is not confident on new recruits before Southampton
    • Newcastle boss Steve McClaren says he will continue asking for more players but is not confident on new recruits before Southampton.
    Steve McClaren admits that he expects Newcastle United to kick off the new season with the squad they’ve got.

United have spent big to sign three players so far and there’s another month until the transfer deadline – but their Premier League campaign kicks off in seven days.

McClaren, who is understood to want QPR striker Charlie Austin, has been keeping his cards close to his chest this week but said the club are working hard behind-the-scenes.

The United head coach said that, along with the fact he still wants more signings, means he can’t be 100% sure that no new arrivals will be in place before the opening Premier League clash of the season with Southampton.

But, speaking after the 1-0 loss to Borussia Monchengladbach, he said: “Are we looking at more? There is a lot of speculation out there. Nothing is happening at the present moment, believe you and me.

“There is a lot of work behind the scenes. It’s taken us quite a while to get the ones we’ve got. We are pleased with them - very pleased - because of their quality.

“Will there be any more? I don’t know, I always want more but are they available and can we get them? We don’t know.”

McClaren handed home debuts to Chancel Mbemba, Gini Wijnaldum and Aleksandar Mitrovic against the Bundesliga outfit at St James’ Park.

He has also retained the services of star men Moussa Sissoko, Tim Krul and Daryl Janmaat going in a new campaign.

McClaren said: “I am delighted with what I have got to work with now until the start of the season. It’s a big eight days for us.”

McClaren also feels he will start the season with the current crop of players and re-iterated: “Yeah I would expect what we’ve got to start.”

Meanwhile, McClaren said Newcastle were still undecided on whether to sign Ivan Toney from Northampton Town.

The teenager watched on from the stands during the 1-0 loss on Saturday and McClaren said that the winger was only training with the club.

He said: “Northampton have allowed him to train for a couple of days. He’s done that (and) we will assess that.

“He has trained with Peter Beardsley in the Under-21s, now we just have to sit down him and assess what we are going to do.”

source:chronic

2. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Well what a fcking surprise. Good work, Lee/Mike.

3. Heremod

Heremod Active Member

With that defense we are asking for trouble

4. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I hope for your sake it's a deflection tactic. You've still got ****ing loan options <laugh> If you're not using them it must be a wage bill problem.

5. NUFCBRONX

NUFCBRONX Active Member

Ugh. And here we go. It's not like the club is broke.

6. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

It only says before Southampton anyway - I would be worried if we signed players this week and threw them straight into action.

7. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

It is undoubtedly a mistake and disappointing. Not quite the step change we were promised. Nevertheless we have until end of the window. If we don't sign a defender between now and then, we will be hovering round those 11-17 spots again come the end of season.

8. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

To bring balance to The Force...
    we will sell Willo and not get relegated.<ok>

9. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Whats that you say? "Mike Ashley/Lee Charnley in 'Buy Just Enough To Avoid Relegation' shocker"? Well, blow me down with a feather, didn't see that one coming about a thousand miles off.

The only main change has been they have somehow, inexplicably, managed to con swathes of Toon fans into thinking it was going to be different. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 8 seasons in a row, shame on me.

Deleted likes this.
  10. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't take it so personally Rolo. Not everyone blames you...

I think.

:emoticon-0138-think

11. Q

Q Well-Known Member

I believe he is just playing mind games.

: Beelin roly
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.