1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bolton, Bury and Macclesfield to do one...

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Barrel chested Alex Dawson as he was invariably referred to in the papers. Though it doesn’t mention Hull schoolboys in his history.

2. southerntiger

southerntiger Well-Known Member

He was a prolific scorer wherever he played.
    He played in FA cup final for Preston as well.

3. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

It is sad. I remember a chat with a group of their supporters in a Bolton pub in our first stint in the Premier league. They were considering not renewing their passes because they were bored silly with finishing mid table every year. Guess they'd swap that now.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    dennisboothstash likes this.
  4. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

I have been to quite a few Bolton games when I lived in Cheshire. My mate was a ST holder. Very sad at their demise. There needs to be an investigation take place - stinks of fraud.

5. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about that conversation actually. Sad indeed

6. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

Makes me feel less sympathy for them reading that, like the Charlton idiots who thought they could do better than Curbishley

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  7. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

It is there if you google Alex Dawson footballer and then scroll down to 'Goal Scoring Busby Babe Alex Dawson was my first Brighton hero'. My husband trialed unsuccessfully for Hull City Boys when AD played for them. He also has a recollection of him playing for Scotland schoolboys but no verification of that unfortunately.

8. Barchullona

I was told years ago by an older fan that Alex Dawson played for Hull Schoolboys. Old enough to remember him playing. But reading about him you get the impression he went straight from Scotland to Man Utd. How did he end up in Hull?

9. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

Maybe he fancied living on the coast?

10. Barchullona

He wouldn’t have gone to Hull in that case.

11. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

You're right, it was continental drift wot brought him to Hull.

amberman8 likes this.
  12. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

Hull is on The Continent?

13. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Not any more, used to be, before the City of Atlantis stood serene above the sea...

amberman8 likes this.
  14. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

He was brought up in Aberdeen and his family moved from Scotland to Hull when Alex was in his early teens. My husband thinks he played for either Ainthorpe or Endike High.Then Hull City Boys and an apprenticeship with Man United when he left school. My husband caught up with him in the early 60's when Alex moved to Preston NE. He worked in Lancaster at this time and had moved to London when Preston played in the FA Cup final in 1964. He desperately attempted to get his first cup final ticket but had to settle for the TV option!

P.S. He finally obtained his first cup final ticket in 1966 a couple of months before he permanently left the UK. He had to exchange a World Cup final ticket to get it.

15. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

Just as a matter of interest my first cup final was 1968 Everton v West Brom, it was probably the worst final I have seen, and it went into ET, and Jeff Astle scored the only goal on 93 minutes, so we had to endure another 27 minutes.

John Kaye played that day, later to become a City player in 1971. Also, Astle scoring meant he scored in every round that year.

Footnote. It wasn't all bad, a work colleague bought the tickets, as he was trying to match me up with his daughter. So we all got the train at Paragon, and to my delight, his daughter brought a friend along, who was quite dishy, and I ended up taking her out for a while, much to my work colleagues discussed.<laugh>

spesupersydera likes this.
  16. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

David Conn @david_conn
    EFL has given Bury FC owner Steve Dale (bought the club for £1) and the administrators of Bolton Wanderers until 5pm today to provide proof the clubs are viable, or they’re likely to be barred from starting the season. Awful mess.

17. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

It wasn't a case if them thinking they could do better actually. it was more that they thought they'd never do better and preferred bouncing around between Championship and PL at the time as the PL was boring.

I can see where they were coming from

18. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

If so.... will that mean only one team will be relegated from Division One and 'pending' only one team promoted from Division Two unless Bolton and Bury are wound up ..?

19. DJBlackandamberarmy(No4)

DJBlackandamberarmy(No4) Well-Known Member

It blags my head that argument , I have it with my brother every year . He prefers the championship as we win more games , etc etc , and he thinks just trying to finish 16th or 17th in the premier league is boring . But surely winning more games is only exciting because it means having a chance to get to the premier league , which people then find boring . Stresses me out <laugh>

PLT, dennisboothstash and Kempton like this.
  20. Leon T Trout AFC

Leon T Trout AFC Well-Known Member

It's pretty difficult to fully understand what you’re actually asking here, but in trying hard to do so, I think the short answer is no.

Logic would suggest to me that if Bury and Bolton cannot fulfil their fixtures, all fixtures involving them will be void, their League Cup opponents will get a bye and consequently there only will be two relegation spots from League 1 this season. Everything else will remain.

However, that will leave a gap in League 2 – so I’m guessing that either the Conference will get 4 clubs going up – which will be a kaboom season for that lot; or they’ll just suspend relegation from League 2 for a season. The thing with tampering with relegation slots (in any division) is that it can cost money as the prospect of relegation usually sparks an interest from media and fans leading to more cash.

I could be wrong, but this is how I'm supposing it will be handled in such event.