1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Blackburn Rovers v Swansea City

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Date - 19 January 2021
    Venue - Ewood Park
    Kick off - 7pm

Following their clinical 2-0 victory over Barnsley at Oakwell, next up for Steve Cooper’s promotion chasing squad is another away trip, this time across the Pennines to play Blackburn.

On Saturday evening, the Swans moved four points clear of third-placed Bournemouth thanks to a disciplined 2-0 victory at Barnsley

The Tykes are now winless in their last 16 games against a Swansea side increasingly looking like genuine promotion contenders this term.

The Swans took the lead on the stroke of half-time with their first effort on goal as Ben Cabango's looping header from a long throw crept in.

Barnsley then gifted the Swans a second on 55 minutes when Mads Anderson and Michael Helik got in each others' way and allowed Jamal Lowe to run clear and slot home.

Despite plenty of endeavour and no little effort, Barnsley were never a huge threat, though Freddie Woodman did save brilliantly to deny Callum Brittain's rasping effort as the Tykes pushed to get back into things.

The win for Swansea gives them daylight in the automatic promotion spots, although Brentford could climb above them if they win both their games in hand.

Earlier that afternoon, Blackburn came from behind to salvage a point against 10-man Stoke, who missed the chance to edge closer to the Championship play-off places.

The visitors led at the break, courtesy of Nick Powell's header from Jordan Thompson's cross into the box.

Rovers equalised in the second half when John Buckley tapped in following good work from Harvey Elliott to keep the ball alive.

James Chester was sent off for Stoke soon after for bringing down Adam Armstrong, who was through on goal, but Rovers could not find a winner.

The result means Stoke remain eighth, four points off sixth place, while Blackburn stay 11th, three points behind the Potters.

The Swans have played Blackburn on 44 previous occasions, winning 15, drawing 7 but losing 22 games.

In the corresponding fixture at Ewood Park last season, the teams played out a 2-2 draw in front of 13,099 spectators:

Turning to Tuesday evening, the match is a clash between the Championship’s top goal scorers against the Championship’s meanest defence.

Blackburn need to win to maintain their play-off hopes, whilst the Swans will want to maintain their charge for an automatic promotion spot.

I’m expecting a 1-1 draw, but hoping for another 2-0 win. <cheers>

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    glamexile and daimungeezer like this.
  2. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

How we 'd all love a win to keep the charge going but I have a feeling this will be a draw. Tight game but fingers crossed for a 0 - 1.

azzuriswan and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  3. Victor

Victor Well-Known Member

Well done again Taff, good write up, how the hell do you keep it up, ....... hope your forecast comes good.

4. Rhodthesod

Rhodthesod Well-Known Member

Sky made a big thing of the Blackburn scout watching the Barnsley game, I just wonder what he would have gained from it as we did not play anything like our normal game?

5. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

We’re in good form, but I think we will draw this one 1-1. Getting a draw up there I think will be a very good point.

I loves being a Jack!! :)

6. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

2-2

Thanks Taff for taking the time to write up in sad times for your family.

7. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff. Yes this is appreciated especially during this sad time for you and Sue.

I took think it will be a 1-1 draw, but would love another clean sheet and 3 points.

8. Taffvalerowdy

Thanks 55 and Glam.

It was ‘helpful’ having something to do so to speak.

The ‘process’ is very different now eg the Registrar contacts the family and the death is registered over the phone - they usually phone 3 or 4 (business) days after the Funeral Director informs them.

The Funeral Director in Maesteg has 50 funerals to do ..... and rising.

Stay safe guys!

55282, Victor, daimungeezer and 2 others like this.
  9. glamexile

Not easy times Taff

azzuriswan and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  10. azzuriswan

azzuriswan Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff and please take care....doing this sort of thing does take your mind off the bad things in life and fortunately the team are providing us all with positivity and pleasure....on to Tuesday and I think we can get another three points simply because we are showing good consistency now which very few teams in the division are doing...

11. Taffvalerowdy

I think we’ve conceded just 1 goal in the last 6 matches <cheers>

12. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

13. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Tough game again, will take a point, love 3. We have had a lot of games in a short period and to be fair shows how good Cooper is for us still to be hitting as high as we are. Wouldn’t mind an international break to give some players a rest

14. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

I expect a similar game as against Barnsley, their pitch isn't great and with the current weather conditions I would expect not a lot of football on the floor.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  15. glamexile

16. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Ah well , a few days extra training and rest so not a bad thing

17. Taffvalerowdy

neveroffsidereff likes this.
  18. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

We were in a hell of a run of games, gives Bennett extra time to get fit and others a rest and if the hourihane signing is on, gives him time to get to know players.

19. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Well for todays double header we have our U23's v the redbirds U23's KO 13:00 https://twitter.com/stujames75.
    then tonight as well as grooming the cat I'll be dipping in to watch the capitol play QPR

Victor and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  20. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

...but it messes up my prediction league...