1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Birmingham City v Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Venue - St Andrew’s
    Date - 10 September 2022
    Kick off - 3:00pm

Following their much needed first home victory of the season, next up for Russell Martin’s Swansea squad is an away match against Birmingham.

Last Saturday, Joel Piroe scored for the third time in as many games as the Swans beat QPR 1-0 in the Sky Bet Championship.

However, arguably the pivotal moment came as early as the first minute when Ben Cabango tugged back Chris Willock on the edge of the penalty area but nothing was given.

The match had burst into life when Jimmy Dunne was adjudged to have handled Ryan Manning's cross after 16 minutes.

Piroe's penalty was saved by Seny Dieng, diving to his left, but the Swans almost instantly had claim for a penalty but their appeals were waved away despite Oli Cooper being sent tumbling in the box.

However, Piroe quickly atoned for his penalty failure when Cooper capitalised on Sam Field's mistake and the Dutchman slid home his shot from 12 yards inside Dieng's near post.

Chances continued to arrive in an entertaining first half with Benda forced to make saves from Ilias Chair and Lyndon Dykes.

The Swans should have doubled their lead but Cabango failed to profit from a free header, and Matt Grimes' follow-up attempt was blocked by the legs of Dieng.

Cabango, a constant threat at set-pieces, was just wide with another header at the start of the second half before Swansea lost substitute Liam Cullen to what appeared to be a nasty injury - Cullen had only been on the pitch a matter of moments before he departed clutching his left shoulder in obvious pain.

The Swans held out until the end to secure the 3 points, helped over the line by a vociferous Jack Army.

Whilst the Swans were beating QPR, Preston North End were conceding their first goal of the Championship season and suffering their first league defeat as Maxime Colin's header earned Birmingham just their second league victory of the season.

Colin was left unmarked to head home Jordan Graham's inviting cross from point-blank range to earn the visitors a half-time lead.

North End, who become only the third English side in history to start the league season with seven consecutive clean sheets when they beat Coventry on Wednesday, had been the more threatening side before then and continued to dominate possession and create chances.

On-loan Tottenham striker Troy Parrott came closest to grabbing an equaliser for a Preston side whose eight league games have produced just three goals in total this season.

After the weekend games, the Swans find themselves in 19th place, 1 point and 2 places above Birmingham.

The Swans have played Brum on 41 previous occasions, winning only 10, drawing 11 and losing 20.

In the corresponding fixture last season, Birmingham ran out 2-1 winners, thanks to Troy Deeney who scored the first and created the winner:

Turning to Saturday, the Swans are more than capable of returning to South Wales with at least a point.

However, with Andy Woolmer in charge, anything could happen….

I’m going for a 1-1 draw <cheers>

2. Taffvalerowdy

3. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff. I wonder what system RM will deploy on Saturday. I fancy us to do well at St Andrews so it could very well be 1-1 but I wouldn't be surprised if we come away with the 3 points

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  4. Taffvalerowdy

In some respects, there are strong arguments that RM should start with the same starting XI.

That said, does Patterson deserve to start? Personally, I’d start with Oko-Flex and have Pato on the bench.

With Cullen injured, there’s a place going spare on the bench. If Obafemi’s toys are back in the pram, I’d include him. Strikes me he could be a pacy option off the bench and could link well with Oko-Flex.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    daimungeezer likes this.
  5. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff.Another great pre-match

0-0

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  6. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

It's hard not to get (overly) optimistic after Saturday and I'd like to say 1 -2 but I'll be realistic and plump for a 1 - 1. That way RM can't bring me down to earth with a thud!

7. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

8. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Well I’m off to this one with my daughter, so going in optimistic mood 2-0 Swans.

9. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

0-0 at best I fear. Depends if RM decides to play football or revert to the keep-ball game.

10. Taffvalerowdy

I suspect that this weekend’s matches will be postponed

DragonPhilljack and 55282 like this.

11. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

12. daimungeezer

Don't see the point of this, at all. Show a mark of respect, of course, as is usual.

13. Taffvalerowdy

Tonight’s fixtures have been postponed

14. daimungeezer

I have to say, I'm really impressed what a decent bunch you lot are. Not one of you has mentioned Cardiff being in the relegation zone. I imagine you're all hugging one right now <hug>

15. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

16. Taffvalerowdy

17. daimungeezer

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  18. Taffvalerowdy

I’d be amazed if this happens but as Greavsie said “It’s a funny old game”

DragonPhilljack and daimungeezer like this.
  19. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

I've had a fiver on him at 7/1.....just in case <cheers>

20. daimungeezer

You should sell mugs with your face on :grin: