1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Birmingham City @St Andrews 19/4/2016

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Apr 17, 2016.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

My final away game of the seasons is to St Andrew's the home of Birmingham City, it is a ground I have never won on, after Saturday's non performance expect a bit more from North End especially as Mr Grayson was less than chuffed with the second half performance, stating it was the angriest he has been for a long while with the players, saying that some would be struggling to stay at the club with performances like that.
    Birmingham will not be easy opponents although saying that their home record is probably one of the worst in the Division, they have lost nine at home including the last two to Brighton and Burnley. In saying that though City were in my view the best side we have played this season and should have won at Deepdale but were stopped by a superhuman goalkeeping performance by Jordan Pickford. Since then they have sold Gray to Leicester which is a good job against our non too pacy backline.
    For City Toral is suspended having been sent off on Saturday, but they still have Donaldson who tends to always score against us, however as I said they are not a bad side and we will have our work cut out to get something.
    Expect changes for us Clarke and Hugill both fit, Johnson seemed to be already on a Jamaican beach on Saturday would not be surprised if he is left out. Grayson wants to end the season strongly lets see if the players want too.

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

Jamaican beech or not, a young playerneeds to be reminded that people pay hard earned cash to watch him play and, although there are no trophies or relegations at stke, respect for supporters and professional pride in ones trade is essential to move on and upwards. Brum have transformed this year from a lack lustre team to one that could possibly have reached the play offs. I assume their problem at St Andrews is with supporters who remember the good times and expect instant renewal. Hope you have a good time there and a decent game to watch. Next season, NE will play Wigan...the best pies in the Leagues!

3. barnetpne

Jolly good fight baA lot of fouls though...query fussy ref. The BBC text indicated a penalty for Brum but no indication except another goal for Brum recorded. Did Kirkland save or did Brum miss? 60 points looks probable.Browne and Cunningham are NE's secret weapons.

4. themaclad

No penalty was given good fight back, full match Thursday when I get my computer, ref was fussy but they are these days

5. themaclad

WhenGreg Cunningham levelled the scores one minute from the end the Library at St Andrew's started to empty rapidly, usually this place is the pit of hate with the atmosphere ramped up to 11 but not tonight, barely a whisper from the home fans, except briefly when they went two up. A decent journey to the second city until we hit the Aston Express Way then crawled the last three miles in an hour to the ground.
    Unsurprisingly North End left out Johnson and also left Huntington and Beckford on the bench following Saturday's abysmal second half performance against the Dons, Clarke, Browne and Garner replacing them.
    The prematch shooting practice nearly gave a clue as toour abilities to shoot at goal, I was sat in row 32 near the back and one of Doyle's vollies nearly cleaned me out, began to suspect it could be a long night. Also before the game the Video Screen was showing highlights of previous games on here and the Blues seem to win them all 3-1.
    Thirteen minutes into the game that thought was beginning to become more apparent, having started well North End allowed Fabbrini to shoot from just outside the box, Lindegaard fumbled the shot and Donaldson was there to snaffle up the rebound.
    North End responded well, Doyle forced Kuszczak to a good save, Garner went narrowly wide as did Browne. The Blues rarely looked like threatening our goal which was as wellbecause Lindegaard had done his shoulder in NOT saving the goal. North End seemed to realise that not having had a shot from distance for 42 games tonight was the night, most missed by miles luckily it was the home fans who were in the firing line. As usual Garner spent the vast majority of the first half on all fours sniffing the grass possibly with the mosque next door to the ground he was possibly praying to Mecca(not the Bingo Hall)
    Lindegaard was replaced by Kirkland at half time, he was beaten after 10 minutes, a Cotterill free kick was fumbled and Donaldson swept up the loose ball again, 2 down 34 minutes to go, time to go home perhaps.
    With about 15 minutes to go Gallagher put in a superb pass to Clarke who crossed the ball to the back post were Browne arriving late blasted home a consolation goal or so we thought. It began to dawn on us that maybe we could get something from the game and we did, pressure was put on the non too secure home defence and from a corner, we hit the post twice within seconds from the second rebound Cunnigham volleyed hom, delirium in the away end, emptying seats in the home end.
    Cheekily we even went looking for the winner it did not come but not too worry a point when there was none, that will do. Now onto Friday night.

Birmingham City 2 Preston North End 2 Att 14366 (539 from Preston)

Birmingham City manager Gary Rowett told BBC WM:

upload_2016-4-21_17-56-20.gif

"I have told the players that the last 15 minutes was one of the weakest I've seen in a game.

"It probably sums up our season since March. We need to be tougher, more professional and more disciplined.

"We can have a shake-up because, if that is the level of performance that people are happy with as a top-10 side, I am certainly not happy.

"I will make sure that I will not have players in the team who are happy with that kind of performance."

Preston manager Simon Grayson:

"We showed fantastic character to get back in the game and it was the right result when you see the number of saves Tomasz Kuszczak had to make and the times we hit the post.

"We want to maintain where we are in the league and not drop out of the top-10 position where we are at present.

"We are now looking to a good home game against Burnley when I hope that we can get all three points."

6. barnetpne

Time to let 3rd choice goalie have a go. Or is he as clumsy as Lingaard and Kirkland?

7. themaclad

No but he is only 18 Linders will play at Reading

8. barnetpne

Is he any good? Vry young to be even a 3rd choice goalie.

9. themaclad

Only saw him at Leeds did not have a shot to save