1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Birmingham City Deepdale 3/9/2022

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Sep 2, 2022.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

My first ever North End game was againgst Birmingham on 6/4/1968 b Deepdale would have looked like this, the result 0-0 do not have many of those scores these days

LAST TIME OUT

FORM GUIDE

PNE 14 BRUM 1

MANAGER

John Eustace

Coaching career
    Following his retirement as a player, Eustace moved into coaching. On 21 April 2016, he was named manager of National League side Kidderminster Harriers, signing a one-year contract until the end of the 2016–17 season.[37] While at the club, Eustace transformed the side's style of play,[38] with the Harriers being dubbed the "non-league Barcelona".[39] Eustace led his side to the play-offs in two seasons, as well as the First Round Proper of the FA Cup.[38]

He left the club on 25 May 2018 to join former manager Steve McClaren at Queens Park Rangers as assistant manager.[40] At QPR, he had a brief spell as caretaker manager in 2019,[41] helping the club avoid relegation from the Championship with 7 points from his 7 games in charge.[36] Following Mark Warburton's arrival as manager in May 2019, Eustace remained as his assistant and began studying for his UEFA Pro Licence.[36][42] In March 2022 he was named as Assistant Manager of the Republic of Ireland team under manager Stephen Kenny, while he would also continue his existing role at Queens Park Rangers.[43] Eustace, along with Matt Gardiner, left his role at Queens Park Rangers in June 2022 following the appointment of new manager Michael Beale.[44]

Eustace succeeded Lee Bowyer as head coach of Championship club Birmingham City on 3 July 2022. He signed a three-year contract.[45]

https://www.bcfc.com/

https://wewilljourneyon.proboards.com/

http://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=11522&pid=237105#pid237105

Preston North End are back at Deepdale to host Birmingham City this weekend after three successive games away from home.

In The Dressing Room

After limping off with an ankle injury in the midweek victory over Coventry City, Ben Woodburn is expected to go for a scan on Friday to discover the extent of his injury.

Bambo Diaby and Sean Maguire have both been back in training recently, and the Senegalese defender is ahead of the Irishman in his recovery according to Ryan Lowe, but there is a chance both could be available.

Andrew Hughes’ ongoing shoulder injury will also be assessed ahead of the weekend.

A Look At Our Visitors

There’s a new man in the dugout at St Andrew’s this season, with John Eustace taking the reins as head coach, and his side arrive at Deepdale after a mixed start to the Championship season.

They’ve won once, drawn twice and lost on four occasions so far, and they’ll still be hurting from the 93rd-minute Onel Hernandez goal which saw Norwich City earn a last-gasp victory in the Midlands on Tuesday night.

Birmingham could hand a debut to left back Emmanuel Longelo, on loan from West Ham United, while Hannibal Mejbri – a Manchester United loanee – will push for a first Blues start.

Going Head To Head

Games played: 101
    PNE wins: 40
    Draws: 25
    Birmingham City wins: 36
    Last meeting: PNE 1-1 Birmingham City, 15th January 2022

One To Watch

Brought in on loan from Arsenal in July, left-sided defender Auston Trusty has made a bright start to life with Blues.

All of the United States international’s previous experience came in his native country, playing for the likes of Philadelphia Union and Colorado Rapids, but he has adapted well to Championship football.

Fans have got right behind the 24-year-old, who has played every minute of league action so far, and he’ll be hoping to help his side to a second clean sheet of the season on Saturday.

Match Officials

James Bell will take charge of his first Preston North End game on Saturday afternoon.

The referee first stepped up to the Football League in the 2020/21 season, while he was promoted to take charge of Championship fixtures only this campaign.

So far this term, he’s taken charge of a Carabao Cup fixture and two second tier games, producing seven yellow cards in those fixtures.

MACS VIEW

Still playing cricket so will miss this which given the recent games between the two have been mostly dire , City struggling at the moment new man in charge, new players and still awaiting new owners, they seem to have been in a permanent flux since they sacked Rowett
    We have to concede sooner or later if it happens tomorrow so be it but as long as we get one more than them. All our deadline day signings will not be making an appearance tomorrow

2. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

3. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

My first attendance to a NE vs Brum was an end of season 8-0 drbbing by NE. Finney was sublime.Gil Merrick was their goalie, n excellent player.

4. themaclad

Preston North End 0 Birmingham City 1 Colin

PNE line-up: Woodman; Storey, Lindsay, Cunningham; Potts (Fernández, 61), McCann (Johnson, 82), Whiteman (O’Neill, 82), Browne (Evans, 73), Brady; Riis, Parrott (Ledson, 82). Subs not used: Cornell, Bauer.

Birmingham City line-up: Ruddy; Sanderson, Roberts, Trusty; Colin, Chong (James, 57), Bielik (Hall, 73), Bacuna (Bellingham, 86), Graham; Hogan (Hannibal, 86), Deeney (Jutkiewicz, 73). Subs not used: Etheridge, Williams.

Attendance: 16,098 (2,073 away fans)

Referee: Mr J Bell.

Preston North End suffered their first defeat of the Championship season as Birmingham City won 1-0 at Deepdale.

Maxime Colin’s header in the 16th minute was the first goal PNE have conceded in league action this term, and it was enough to earn the visitors all three points.

Ryan Lowe’s men started the game brightly, creating three chances within the opening seven minutes, with the second of those seeing Emil Riis sent through on goal by Alan Browne, but goalkeeper John Ruddy made a crucial save one-on-one.

Ruddy produced a simpler stop soon after to keep out Liam Lindsay’s header, before Scott Hogan looked like he was about to break into the North End box at the other end, but Ben Whiteman produced a superb sliding challenge just in time.

Hogan then hit an air shot from a promising position on 14 minutes and the ball went through to Jordan Graham, whose first-time effort was tipped wide by Freddie Woodman.

Woodman was beaten, though, 16 minutes in as Graham whipped a dangerous ball across the face of goal and Colin headed into the empty net at the far post.

The visitors enjoyed a spell of pressure from that point, which saw the North End defence tested by long throw-ins and corners, while the Blues frustrated PNE at the other end by limiting their chance creation for the rest of the half.

PNE felt hard done by on two occasions early in the second period, firstly as Parrott looked to be pulled back as he broke into the box – but the referee waved away appeals – and the striker was later punished for a foul as he dispossessed a Birmingham defender before finding the back of the net, however, the whistle was blown for a foul.

Hogan was almost gifted a goal at the other end a few moments later when a Whiteman header back towards goal fell to the Irish forward who looked to flick it over Woodman, but the ‘keeper made the save.

North End then came close on three occasions within a minute. Firstly it was Brady denied by a flying Ruddy save, before McCann curled an effort over, and in the next attack Riis then slammed the ball into the side netting.

Chances kept coming, with Whiteman soon slamming the ball across goal and Browne was inches away from getting a crucial touch to open the scoring.

Ryan Lowe made all five of his changes in the second half to try and impact the game, which included a first appearance of the season for young Mikey O’Neill, however, the goal didn’t come for the Lilywhites.

5. themaclad

Preston boss Ryan Lowe:

"There was a lack of quality today on the pitch and in front of goal, it wasn't for a lack of trying but you have to make your chances count when you are on top and we didn't.

"It's a poor goal to concede, which is disappointing after keeping the back door shut for so long. Fair play to Birmingham because they got their goal and dug deep to get the three points and we didn't dig deep enough to get something.

"We know we need to find that little bit of quality to score, I believe the lads we have at the club have got the quality to score goals. We are creating chances. I will speak to the strikers and try and instil some belief into them that they will score goals and I'm sure they will. I sensed a bit of tiredness after all the travelling but we don't want to make excuses.

"I have just spoken to the referee, he sent me off at the end because I was frustrated with some of the decisions. I apologised for what I said but I am still disappointed in some of the decisions."

Birmingham City manager John Eustace told BBC WM 95.6:

"I think the performances this season have been good but we haven't got our just rewards, so today to keep a clean sheet against an excellent team who haven't conceded a goal this season is full credit to the group and I'm very, very proud.

"We've been doing a lot of hard work on the training field working solidly on the patterns of play with both wing backs supporting the attack, so for it to come out in the game today when we scored was pleasing.

"A lots of things have been said about this group and the club, but people have to realise that this team is starting again.

"There's going to be lots more dark and miserable days ahead but the way we get through it is together and to get positive results like today."

6. themaclad