1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bielsa - Barcalona ...

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Lots now starting to come out of ER about our genius manger as two players have actually said he makes the team sit and watch videos of Barcelona, Man City, Bayern Munich to name 3. All 3 teams managed by Pep. All 3 teams play the high press game and transition from attack into defence fast. Players inter change positions to cover for each other. So its great that players are asked to watch this style of play and hopefully see themselves.

We have to take a step back and bring some realism to the season. We know we are going to get stopped at some stage and we know we are going to have a bad game where the bucket gets kicked down the touchline. The players on show in those videos are at least 90% more expensive than our team of bargain basement players. We are not Barcelona but we have a manager who invented Barcelona (So to speak) and is brilliant at making players better. Saiz is a case in point as he has at times been unplayable but can still make the wrong choice, can still mess up a simple pass etc. We have to accept that we are not Barcelona and get behind this team of players who think they are Barcelona.

Peps first season at Man City was awful and it took a whole season for the team to get what he was trying to do. In fact Pep got rid of a few players and brought in players he knew would be able to do it. So for me Bielsa has worked miracles as he took a look at videos of our games of last season and decided who could do it and who wouldn't and got rid.

2. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

Great points Doc. I'm still waiting for the slap in the face. As a Leeds Utd supporter, you're always waiting for that bad result. When TC took over we had a great start, bur then when the opposition kopped on how we played, it was all down hill. I hope Bielsa is the real deal and we won't be found out later on during the season.<ok>

Farsleyexile likes this.
  3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I thought it was a mortal sin for a Leeds fan to watch any other team but ok for Bielsa and the team to do it. Talking about double standards

4. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

I’m sure there’ll be a few managers watching videos of our first two games. Fact we take risks from the back does give them an opportunity.

Regarding TC it turned out all our games were against bottom half teams at start of last season. I think Stoke and Derby are top half, in fact Stoke were promotion favourites

Whitejock likes this.
  5. Irishshako

Well you've broken every rule.:emoticon-0105-wink: Anyway it's different when the manager does it and he isnt a Leeds Utd supporter:grin:

6. Irishshako

I've heard that anorak argument about who we played. But who knew before the season started that those teams we played would be bottom half. :)

LeedsLover and Whitejock like this.
  7. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Shaks last season we started great but as it turned out we had only played teams that finished below us. The difference this season is that we have played 2 teams who have spent loads of cash and have squads of players supposed to be better than us and these 2 teams expected to be going for auto. Lampard knew what to expect so had a week to set his team up to counter it, he failed and in fact Leeds were better than against Stoke so had improved as another week of intensive coaching took hold. I am more optimistic now than last season and even Glory would have to say ....... er yeah its not bad I suppose

southernwhite and Irishshako like this.
  8. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

How can you set a team up to stop Bielsas style of play when its like trying to stop your house flooding from leaks. Employ 11 plumbers and hope some of the leaks are blocked. How do you beat man City? I suppose you have to outscore them and hope their defence is having a bad day. yes our defence has a reputation for crumbling, but seems solid so far especially with Phillips playing an ugly game where he will not get much credit, but he breaks play up and puts a foot in

9. Irishshako

<laugh> I agree Doc, my point was at the time we didn't know we'd play teams that were going to be bottom half. Lets see when we play the likes of Millwall etc

Doc likes this.
  10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That’s the thing I’m loving 20/20 it will take a very good manager and some very disciplined players to stop us playing the way we do as we have so many outlets and so much movement. Shackle Saiz and you leave Hernandez free, put your best player on the wing Ayling is tearing up and down and Douglas will take over.

I’m trying not to get over excited but we’re playing exceptionally well disciplined football. I totally agree some team is probably going to open us up and put 2-3 past us at some point but as long as we win 3-2 ;)

11. Irishshako

Sometimes Doc you almost sound that you know what you're talking about..<laugh>

southernwhite likes this.
  12. 2020VisionofLeeds

Some were obvious, some less so. It’s not about predicting, I remember looking at it about December time, they were nearly all bottom half and we’d not played anyone in the top 6. (I’m making this up by the way, but it is true in hindsight we had an easy start).

Irishshako likes this.
  13. Irishshako

Remember K.Keegans teams, let 3 in score 4, although sometimes it was the other way around:)

ristac likes this.
  14. 2020VisionofLeeds

And anoraks are very useful

Irishshako likes this.
  15. Irishshako

No game is easy in the Championship. You know yourself, teams we should beat we don't, teams we shouldn't beat we do..:grin:

Whitejock likes this.
  16. Irishshako

Only poofters wear them:grin:

17. 2020VisionofLeeds

That’s another use then - free advertising

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  18. Irishshako

:grin:

19. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

I'm sure I heard it mentioned yesterday that Bielsa's are always fast starters but have a tendency to fade away as the season progresses

Not sure how true that is though

20. 2020VisionofLeeds

Yes someone said it dunno who