1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Best Arsenal games/moments in your lifetime

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Mar 21, 2020.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Since there's going to be no football for a while, I figured we may as well do a thread of our favourite Arsenal moments in our lifetime.

I'll start:

Winning the league at White Hart Lane - I was extremely young at the time, but I remember when it happened and I was so happy to be champions. Admittedly, my understanding of the rivalry at the time wasn't that developed, I was just thrilled to have won the league without losing a game.

...followed by beating Man United in the FA Cup final in 2005, which I do remember much better. After finishing 12 points behind an admittedly outstanding Chelsea team in the league, this represented our best chance to win silverware. I have no idea how we won this, as we got absolutely battered <laugh> but I guess that made it all the more sweeter:

Beating AC Milan away in 2008 - think we were the 1st English side to do this. That Milan team consisted of Kaka, Robinho, Nesta, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Maldini etc.

My next favourite was beating Man United 2-1 at The Emirates in August 2008. Reason being we had lost pretty much all our players from the 'Invincibles' era, and we had an extremely young but talented side. Our starting XI had Fabregas, Nasri, Clichy, Sagna, Diaby, Denilson, Walcott and Bendtner - all under the ages of 24. Against a Man United team with Van der Sar, Ferdinand, Neville, Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo, Rooney and Park. It looked like it would be a mismatch on paper. But we won, and we won well too.

I'll continue this in the main thread.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    TheBear likes this.
  2. BrunelGooner

The next one for me was beating a prime Barcelona at The Emirates. We rode our luck, but the atmosphere and game was just electric. I remember watching this and thought we could have won a treble based on how well we were doing <laugh> then it all came crashing down after the 2011 League Cup final. Nevertheless, what a game it was:

3. BrunelGooner

Then it was the 5-3 at Stamford Bridge. What a crazy game. Van Persie hat-trick, Walcott with a stunning individual goal and even Andre facking Santos got on the scoresheet <laugh>

4. BrunelGooner

Ooh, one game I did forget to mention was the 3-0 win against Spurs in 2009. Van Persie scored close to half-time and then Fabregas made it 2-0 straight after Spurs had kicked off. What a game and atmosphere this was!

TheBear likes this.
  5. BrunelGooner

A special one for me was the 2-1 win against Newcastle in 2012. This was the first Arsenal game I'd ever been to watch at The Emirates. We were drawing 1-1 (Hatem ben Arfa scored for the Geordies, van Persie equalised soon after). It looked like it was going to peter out for a 1-1 draw. Then this happens...

95th minute winner from Vermaelen. Will always cherish this moment. The whole stadium went into pandemonium (well, except the away section lol).

TheBear likes this.
  6. BrunelGooner

The end of the trophy drought - what a sweet moment this was, especially as we went 2-0 down. I know we hoped we would have won the league, but at least we got this monkey off our backs.

We also beat Spurs 3 times that season (2 x in the league, 1 x in the FA Cup) which is always great.

7. BrunelGooner

Beating prime Bayern Munich in the Champions League group stages. How I miss these types of games.

8. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

BrunelGooner likes this.
  9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

10. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

15. BrunelGooner

please log in to view this image

:)

winifred122 and Treble like this.
  16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

17. Bald Archie

Bald Archie Not606 Official Lurker

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

^^^ Who let this **** in here ? <whistle>

gooner4ever likes this.
  19. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Even Shlong scored.......TWICE!

20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Best NLD I went to was the 1987 littlewoods cup semi final replay at WHL. We were trailing at HT and I remember the stadium announcer telling the Spuds how they could apply for their cup final tickets. I think that info must have been relayed to the players in the dressing room, because we were a side transformed in the 2nd half. Ian Allinson levelled the game at 1-1 and then that Rocastle goal sent us through to the final. I don't actually remember seeing the ball hit the net for that goal as it was so packed in the away end, but the elation of that goal going in was immense.

Remember we had been through a barren spell and changed managers several times in the 80's, which were a pretty turgid time for us. It was only when George Graham came along and won the Littlewoods cup with us, that we began to become a force again, with the title coming at that famous night at Anfield a couple of years later.