1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bernie wins again - FOTA is broken.

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Masanari, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

Apparently Red Bull and Ferrari are quitting FOTA which obviously means that FOTA will no longer be able to exist. I know FOTA were never mega effective but at least they were a bit of a pain for Bernie. But alas Bernie has got his way again and now there is one less obstacle in the way fo Bernie in his pursuit of ruining F1.

It seems the RRA is the reason for the split which is not really surprising because it has been a contentious issue for a while with suspicions that Red Bull have not been following it, at least not in the same spirit as the others, and Ferrari and the other teams are obviously not going to be happy with playing with a disadvantage. It will be interesting to see what will happen now.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96614

2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

3. Eat Sleep Watch F1 Repeat

It doesn't suprise me Ferrari have left because of the way have been talking of late about their presence in F1. Seems odd Red Bull have left, perhaps Mclaren are next.

4. Nazara

Nazara Active Member

Are HRT not in FOTA?
    I checked the site and there is no mention of them.

5. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

HRT and Williams were kicked out for signing up to the 2010 season or something, while FOTA were still negotiating. Williams were reinstated but I don't think HRT were.

6. u408379965

Horner's always been critical of FOTA, and the RRA in particular.

The RRA can never work in my opinion. A straight forward budget cap is too extreme for the teams with big budgets, and the limits on wind tunnel time, CFD and all the rest of it is too complicated and ambiguous. This isn't necessarily the end of FOTA though, Ferrari and RBR can't leave until February, this could merely be a bargaining stance to try and get what they want. It's obviously not good news that it's come to this though.

7. Delete Me

Delete Me Well-Known Member

Looks to me Ferrari and Red Bull now share the same "historical advantage" in F1 with Bernie.

Yet again McLaren and co were slow to react with the deal offered to them.

8. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

You may have a point here SArrow. I have felt for some time that Red Bull's objective is to 'out-Ferrari' Ferrari! Clearly they have got themselves into a very strong position, with which they now wish to push home their advantage. Meanwhile the other big teams at least appear to be doing their utmost to show compliance with the principals originally set out.

The way I see it, FOTA (or an equivalent body designed to find agreement and unity amongst competitors) is a vitally important aspect to the long-term health of F1. It is/was the only 'balance' against the Bernie machinery, which may well be taken to another level with the help of Murdoch. These things are not good for the health of real competition. Then again, did Bernie ever really care about that? - I think many of us know that Murdoch didn't…

9. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

10. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Red Bull are flavour of the moment. Its the same with whoever is top dog. Bernie doesnt like the small ugly...wears the same clothes everyday teams <laugh>

11. Stephen Lickorish

HRT are in OTA the One Team Association- not joking!

12. Speedy Klaxton

Speedy Klaxton New Member

Stinky wrinkly old man! Bernie is pissing me off more and more! El bando we should mug him!

13. u408379965

I wouldn't worry about any favouritism, Bernie only cares about his wallet, unless he develops an ounce of compassion or sentiment then it shouldn't be a concern that Vettel is his favourite driver.

14. Delete Me

To be honest we could look at this in a positive way and laugh into 2012 knowing that we are not the only ones getting ****ed over now LOL!

So much for the freeview fans and so much for FOTA! keeping a steady flow of cash for 60-70% of them.

What have you got to say now Colin Kolles? (HRT) I might not be able to get Sky F1, but at least I know you wont last much longer now when you go bankrupt.

HA HA HAAAAA!!!!

Come on people, laughing helps you live longer! All is fair in love and war....

15. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If I've read it correctly, the RRA was only a FOTA, not FIA agreement. By leaving FOTA, do Red Bull and Ferrari (and HRT - but I doubt they have the funds anyway) no longer need to abide by the RRA? If not, surely that means a 2 tier system will open up, with Ferrari and Red Bull sailing away into the distance, and Mclaren and Mercedes as best of the rest?

16. Delete Me

I think the "rules" still stand, just that Ferrari and RBR refuse to "accept" and follow them as they never signed anything in the first place and will likely cause a chain reaction now...

And can the likes of McLaren afford 2 WDC's knowing investment into engines, gearboxes, tyres and aero could be better used than just 1 man.

Welcome back to McLaren supporting 1 driver, Ferrari style.

17. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

No.

18. Delete Me

Lets be honest... whenever was a contract in F1 ever bulletproof. Even we were suckered into thinking freeview was bulletproof to an extent.

19. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Another case of Bernie sticking the crowbar in.

I was always of the understanding that the RRA was a gentlemans agreement rather than some legally binding thing.

20. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Does FOTA really matter? I do not know much about it. Someone please explain, would appreciate it.