1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Benoit Assou Ekotto - twitter dig at Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by KingHotspur, Jan 4, 2016.

1. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...s-his-Twitter-war-with-Tottenham-Hotspur.html

Benoit Assou-Ekotto has resumed his long-running Twitter war with former employers Tottenham.
    Long-time Spurs left-back Benoit Assou-Ekotto gleefully trolled his former club after Everton opened the scoring in Sunday's Premier League fixture at Goodison Park.

Despite completely dominating the first twenty minutes of the game, amassing 65% possession, Tottenham inexplicably fell behind to a goal from another former player whom they had deemed surplass to requirements; and the irony was not lost on Assou-Ekotto.

When former White Hart Lane favourite, Aaron Lennon, put his Everton team ahead in the 20th minute, Akoutto was quick to pass comment on this typically 'Spursy' development.

Ekotto left White Hart Lane under acrimonious circumstances after making 204 appearances for the North London side in a spell that lasted from 2006 to 2015.

Eight months after the Cameroonian left-back had his £40,000-a-week contract by Tottenham, Ekotto gleefully tweeted his pleasure at Lennon's contribution against his former club.

Having not played for Spurs since May 2013, Tottenham cancelled Ekoutto's contract, to which Assou-Ekotto reacted to by tweeting a picture of Mel Gibson's character, Braveheart, with the caption: "Freedom!"
    The club revealed earlier this year that the 30-year-old had departed, saying: "We can confirm that Benoît Assou-Ekotto has been released from his contract with the Club. We wish him well."

pabird likes this.
  2. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

A bit sad, really. Whatever passed between himself and the club, it's a bit petty and spiteful to take to Twatter to get a few cheap shots in.

3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

A lot of people thought he was fantastic due to his attitude of not really preparing well mentally for games and thinking it was great that this guy didn't even know who we were playing next. It's the same kind of bullshit mentality.

Think the guy had a stinking attitude in general and was glad to get rid. Nice Afro and all that but who gives a ****.

4. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

He was very badly influenced by Adebayore imo. Real shame, as its rightly ruined his status at the club he played a substantial part of his career for.

pabird likes this.
  5. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

Er....this is a non-story IMO. What did his actual tweet say?

I agree with his tweet. Lennon scoring against us is a good story!

Not sure how this amounts to a "twitter war". I think some journalists and fans need to get a grip.

6. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Exactly. Was just about to post that myself. The other action of this "war" was to tweet "Freedom" after being released. That isn't even critical, just a healthy way to look at his situation. Whatever had happened, he has been very loyal on social media. Not gone down in my estimation at all. Only blot on his copybook was support for that dodgy French comedian, and I don't know enough about that.

7. RobSpur

RobSpur Well-Known Member

How about when he and Adebayor posted an instagram pocture celebrating Spurs losing under AVB when they were both Spurs players ?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  8. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

It's infantile and uneccessary.

Unless you're harbouring a grudge, why do it?..

Lovearsenalcock and RobSpur like this.
  9. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

In don't recall that, fair enough if that's the case, I wouldn't have supported that. Although they were probably not the only ones wanting AVB to fail. Not me, but some.

What is? He's watching TV and tweeted that he was enjoying it. That tweet could equally mean it is still a good story how well we are playing, or it could just be support for an old friend. You could be interpreting it right and me wrong, but on the face of it, don't see the issue.

10. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

I don't follow Twatter, S.D, so I don't know for sure, but apparently it's not the first time he's done something like this .

Quick question for those that do follow. Did he bother to tweet equally enthusiastically about Alli's goal? Or, at all, in fact?

11. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He followed it up with this:

The suggestion being that he was actually watching Spongebob and had no idea why he got a load of abuse for the previous comment.
    Very believable.

12. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

A selection of his tweets

upload_2016-1-4_12-7-50.png

upload_2016-1-4_12-8-0.png

upload_2016-1-4_12-8-15.png

No Kane No Gain likes this.
  13. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Not that I'm one to back Ade up but that picture was just poor timing in my opinion. A lot of people read into the fact that Benny was doing the peace sign and Ade done a three finger salute, the score we lost by happened to be 3-2 and so some thought it was a dig but both Benny and Ade (especially Ade) had done those gestures in many photos in the past and I think it was just typical they done it on a day we lose 3-2 and as they're out of favour with club it blew up a lot more than what it should have.

Benny was always pretty respectful towards Spurs up until his release where he tweeted about freedom, he came to loads of games, made lots of COYS tweets and before his bust up with AVB, a statement in the press said he wanted to finish his career with us. I'm not completely backing Benny up but the fact he lost his spot under AVB who I thought was a cancer to this club sort of gives me a bit of sympathy towards Benny, I still feel he's been our best LB in the Premier League and it's a shame such a decent player ended his career with us the way he did.

Spur of the Moment and Spurf like this.
  15. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

i dont think AVB was a cancer for this club. He was not that bad. Maybe he had a personality that clashed more with highly strung footballers than say Poch's does. As we found out with Mourinho, players stop playing because they dont like being bossed in a certain way.

His results were not fantastic..he is just a very poor mans Mourinho as things stand. I just cant help but blame players. Look at the shenanigans at chelsea. The same players know how to play football all of a sudden, poor poor attitude.

i side tracked, apologies.