1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Bench Pressure

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Riever, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

Yesterday with Alfie and Connor on the bench for the first time in ages we had players on the bench that a number of fans think deserve a start.

Do you think that this filters through to the players on the pitch and makes them try that bit harder, given that yesterday was our best performance of the season by a distance?

I hope so because with Mangane coming in and a number of players to come back from injury in a few weeks time our bench is going to be the strongest it has been in ages which would mean anybody underperforming on the pitch could be replaced by a player who could keep them out of the team for weeks.

2. concrete tony

concrete tony Well-Known Member

Good point. Totally agree

3. rokerparks scoreboard

rokerparks scoreboard Active Member

Good point but can't see how Alfie deserves a start when he's just arrived

4. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Hard to tell. Were we that good or were West Ham ****?

Bit of both probably, so give it a week or two. Good theory though...

5. Cest Advocaat

Cest Advocaat Well-Known Member

N'Diaye cannot just be chucked in at the deep end here lads. He will need 3 or 4 games just to get a feel for the game here in England before he can be knocking on the door for a start. By then of course, Catts will be back, maybe another 2 or 3 will be brought in and we will have real competition, quality competition as well, for starting places.

That can only be a good thing imo.

6. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

I'm not suggesting that Alfie should be thrown in straightaway and actually would agree with Cest that he needs to be eased in. What I am suggesting though is the fact that he is on the bench and has just arrived for good money might be making the present midfielders subconciously try harder than they have done sfar this season. If this is the case then things can only get better as more quality arrives/returns.

7. rokerparks scoreboard

rokerparks scoreboard Active Member

If any player is starting to play better because of what's on the bench then they can do one for me.It shouldn't matter what squad we have if your in the team you give 100% regardless

8. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Agreed. I want players to give their all every game. They get paid enough to put some bloody effort in.