1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

BBC Stats V Burton

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by WINDYROG, Dec 12, 2015.

1. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Only 40% possession, our 4 shots against their 15 and only 1 on target says a lot. Seems like we've been found out......
    In the process of travelling back to the UK and forgot to post my prediction.....which would not in any way have been a 3-0 home defeat. Very disappointing.......where do we go from here?

2. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

Think we'd better sell the Snowman Rog while it's still worth something!

3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I'm not sure who to blame for today's defeat.
    Most of the crowd were incensed with the referee. He did indeed have a shocker - and as for the linesman on the Gordon Road side - he would have been better to have gone Christmas shopping - he was woeful.
    There was some truly amazing examples of inconsistency in decision making - as well as some monumental mistakes. The officials were terrible beyond belief - but the referee probably got one decision correct - and that decision was the sending off.

Now - before you all slaughter me - think for a moment. Loft had already been booked. He is an experienced player - the team captain - he should have known better than to lash out at their player in his tussle. It was clear to all ( except the blind officials ), that Loft was initially being fouled - and nearly had his shirt removed in the process. I found it incredible that this passage of play didn't attract a free kick for us. I can understand that Loft was probably frustrated at the referee's lack of intervention - but -BUT -BUT- What did Loft think would happen when he lashed out at their player. Even if the referee had awarded us a free kick, the referee was correct in giving Loft at least a (2nd) yellow card.

This moment of madness changed the game. We simply struggled to cope with only 10 men as Burton moved the ball in all directions - and it was surprising that we survived so long before conceding ( probably down to excellent goalkeeping by Nelson- outstanding in our goal ! ).

I dare say that had it been 11 v 11 the game may have turned out differently - although, by the time of the sending off it had been a very scrappy affair - with nothing to distinguish either team.

The result was a little harsh on the Gills - they strove and fought - but were pulled in all directions, worn down in their resistance and made to suffer for the loss of one player.

I would normally have been angry with Dickenson's poor challenge ( and lack of 'taking out' the winger in the lead up to the 3rd goal ) - but by then it was a lost cause.

4. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

We were second best and Burton did a job on us. Thought we gave them too much respect surprised loft and morris played when wright was on the bench. The ref was awful again gave us nothing except bookings. Loft was an idiot and could have got a straight red for kicking out. He should not be captain any longer. We have another 2 tough games now so we must try and get some points or we will be dropping down the league very quickly.
    At the end of the day this was our first home lose of the season against a good cheating side where the ref booked our players for the same fouls they did but no bookings. JD got it wrong today but in general he has got it right especially at home.
    We had a very good start to the season better than anyone expected and we can still make at least the play offs if we all stick together after all we are still 4 th when we expected to be at best mid table this season.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015