1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Bayern Munich 'confident' of signing Ramsey

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Nov 15, 2018.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

A lot of news articles and football journalists picking up on this story.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ern-munich-liverpool-chelsea-fc-a8634646.html

Bayern Munich are set to sign Ramsey on a free next Summer and he's expected to sign a pre-contract agreement in January with them.

What is everyone's views on this?

To be honest, if this is true and it looks like it is, I'm quite amazed how he's managed to dupe Bayern into thinking he's good enough for them.

He's not been a consistent performer for us, so to move to an even better team and expect him to perform regularly is a massive stretch. He'll be 28 by the time he joins them, so it's not like he's joining them with years left to drastically improve.

And although 'on paper', he may look like he's an integral part of our team, he has flattered to deceive all too often throughout his career.

People often look to that 2013-14 season, where everything he touched turned to gold, as a measure of his abilities. But that was 5 years ago now. At what point do we say this was just a purple patch and an exception to how his Arsenal career has been?

I've said before that I'm not bothered about him going - I'm just shocked that a club like Bayern have been willing to take a punt on him. I guess on a free transfer, you can't really go wrong. For them, its a low risk, high reward option.

2. BrunelGooner

This guy is generally fairly reliable so I'm inclined to believe what he's saying is true.

3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Good luck to him. Glad he's going abroad.

ArtisanWenger likes this.
  4. BrunelGooner

Do you still think we should have tried harder to keep him or do you feel it's best for both parties to move on?

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

At first I thought we should have kept him, but seeing his performances this season (and it could be because he knows he's out the door) I'm glad we're saying goodbye. That said, we will need to replace him. Still hoping we go in for Eva Banega. Even though he's getting on a bit, he's much more direct than Ramsey and he and Emery apparently have a really good relationship.

6. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Its funny how certain Arsenal fans talk like Ramsey is a terrible player yet its Bayern, Juve and PSG who have soo far shown interest.

He will end up at a big Club

ArtisanWenger likes this.
  7. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

He will end up at a big club as a squad player, then go on loan in 2 years to someone like West Ham, then fizzle out in the championship at a place like Cardiff.

8. BrunelGooner

No-one has said Ramsey is a terrible player, but he is not a player who is top class either.

If I'm going to be completely honest, I haven't been that impressed with him for a few years now. He's had a few good performances here and there, but his consistency has been lacking. His lack of footballing intelligence at times can be very frustrating. And I think we can get a player who will be a better fit for us. A player who cares about the team more than their own ego.

As I've said repeatedly, Ramsey's stock will be high and there will be top clubs in for him because - on paper - he looks very good. 10 years at Arsenal, captaining the club on several occasions, making over 300 appearances, scoring 2 cup final winners, winning our Player of the Season twice, captains his national side and is just about to turn 28 at the end of the year. And he'll be available on a free in the Summer. Of course, what top club wouldn't want to make an addition like that at minimal cost?

Unfortunately, all these things don't paint the full story. They don't tell you how many games have bypassed him because he's been too busy trying to be an extra centre forward on the pitch. They don't tell you how he disrupts our passing rhythm by taking too many touches on the ball or trying to play an unnecessary Hollywood pass only for us to lose possession. They don't tell you how many times he's lost the ball by trying to be inventive at the wrong time in the wrong areas of the pitch. They don't tell you how he seems to be fixated on trying to look like a stylish player rather than contribute something useful to the team.

In some ways, that 2013/14 season was the best and worst thing to happen to Aaron. Because even though he's not hit those heights ever since, he has become more obsessed with stat padding. His primary concern is scoring goals rather than fulfilling his responsibilities as a midfielder and part of that, I believe, is why his form has suffered.

Maybe at a new club, in a new league, he may change his ways. Maybe he needs to be in a different environment for him to be at his best again.

Whatever he decides to do, I wish him well. But an irreplaceable player he is not.

9. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I dont disagree - I think when you compare Ramsey to the best AMF's out there its clear he's not at the TOP level. But he's a useful player and can score important goals.
    I wrote basically the same thing in a previous thread. I feel like Pre - 2013 Ramsey was seen as a CM/Playmaker similar to the role Fabregas was playing for us. (in fact the press heralded him as Fabregas's successor) After that Season he changed style and essentially became a poor mans Gerrard - constantly looking for that forward run into the box. I feel like his playing/passing has suffered as a result.

I guess some of the blame should lie with Wenger though, Many of Ramsey's weaknesses stem from tactical issues that could have been trained out of him.

BrunelGooner likes this.
  10. BrunelGooner

I agree with most of this to be fair.

He has been extremely poor this season aside from his cameo against Fulham though. Even against a mid table League One side in Blackpool, where he really did have the chance to make his mark, he was very underwhelming.

Part of that may be because he knows he's leaving the club irrespective of what happens this season, part of it may be because Emery is playing him in a position he's not accustomed to in CAM or on the right hand side. But he's not shown any reason to suggest we will miss him once he goes. He's a professional footballer, playing at the highest level and being paid more in one week than most people earn in a year. The least he can do is show some effort and do his best for the team. He isn't.

I think the club made a big mistake by not selling him in the Summer. If a deal could not have been agreed by the time it was early August at the latest, then that was the moment we should have cashed in.

Because we've got a player at the club who isn't performing, isn't motivated and knows that it doesn't matter how he performs as he'll be out the door sooner or later.

Neither the club or the player have benefited from this situation.

11. BrunelGooner

I remember when it was made relatively clear that Sanchez wouldn't be renewing his contract with the club. There was a split between the fans over whether it's worth keeping a player of that quality or whether we should have cashed in and got a replacement instead.

At the time, I said I wanted to keep him until the end of the season. I don't regret saying that, despite concerns being raised over his performance levels dropping.

I wanted to keep Sanchez because he was/is a match-winner. If we weren't performing well or if there was a tightly contested game, he could drag us over the line. He had that rare quality of winning games single-handedly. Players like that are priceless. Even in his last few months at the club, despite angling for a move, he still helped us. Doubled our advantage in the north London derby, scored a last minute winner against Burnley away, started the comeback in the 3-3 draw against Liverpool and won us the game against Palace away with two sublime goals. Even a disillusioned Sanchez fought tooth and nail for the cause.

Aaron Ramsey doesn't possess that same quality. Which is why fans have been less upset over the prospect of him leaving us.

12. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It makes you wonder if Sanchez wishes he'd stayed at Arsenal now seeing Emery come in and shake things up ?

13. BrunelGooner

In these situations, it's sometimes easy to say 'what if' in retrospect. But at the time, he was a world class player in a team that was underperforming and losing practically every other week. He had 6 months left on his deal. We all knew where this was headed. Wenger still had a year and a half left on his deal. Given that he'd said he would always honour a contract, it didn't seem like we were going to be making any radical changes in the near future. How wrong we all were!

I think a lot of Arsenal fans didn't blame Alexis for wanting to move on (though moving to United ahead of City was a bit of a surprise).

But yeah, I do wonder how he would have done if he'd signed a new deal with us and how he would have fared under Emery.

Let's be honest, at United, he looks nowhere near the level he used to be.

I have a feeling that wherever he moves to next, he will be asked about whether he regretted moving away from Arsenal. Would be interesting to see what he says.