1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Barnes: I can't get back into management because I'm black

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Busy Being Headhunted, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Busy Being Headhunted

Busy Being Headhunted Well-Known Member

http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3912...ant-get-back-into-management-because-im-black

The former Celtic, Jamaica and Tranmere Rovers manager argues that bosses are more likely to get second chances if they are white, having been out of work since 2009

Former England international John Barnes claims that he will struggle to get back into management because of the colour of his skin.

The former Celtic, Jamaica and Tranmere Rovers boss has been out of work since leaving Prenton Park after just four months in charge in 2009.

And Barnes feels that it is unlikely that an opportunity to return will arise.

"A white manager loses his job and gets another job, he loses his job, he gets another job. Very few black managers can lose their job and get another job," he told ITV's 'John Barnes: Sports Life Stories', which airs on Tuesday.

"What I can judge it from is by looking at society. How many black people are there in the higher echelons of any industry? We can talk about journalism, we can talk about politics so why should football be any different?"

Asked whether the Celtic job was too much too soon for a rookie manager when he took it in 1999, Barnes added: "Well, if it comes now at 51, I don't think it will be any different.

"It's more to do with the perception of my ability to do the job because there's a certain perception of who can make a good manager."

I hope nobody watches ITV's 'John Barnes: Sports Life Stories', which airs on Tuesday.
    Barnes is a **** manager and a racist **** with a chip on his shoulder.
    Most white managers fail as well but do not play the race card afterwards.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  2. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

Can't agree with Barnes here. He was an awful Manager and that's why he can't get work. Its as simple as that.

3. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Utter rubbish, he can't get back into management because he isn't good enough. Colour is irrelevant!

4. TimPR78

TimPR78 Well-Known Member

Be interesting to know what steps Mr Barnes has done to get back into management and at what level he was prepared to manage. I suspect it's not going to reflect well on him

5. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh dear.........yet Chris Powell the ex Charlton manager didn't seem to have a problem getting the Huddersfield job, nor did Chris Hughton have any problem getting the Brighton job.....probably because they are decent managers .......me thinks John Barnes complains too much and believes he ought to be managing a top team......if he was considered any good I'm sure he would have been.....

6. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Just accept you're not good enough, there are plenty of white managers just as bad that aren't in football any more...

7. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Are we talking about the Jamaican who chose to play International football for England just so that he could make more money?

I don't have much respect for mercenaries, I'm afraid, Mr. Barnes.

8. Swords Hoopster.

Swords Hoopster. Well-Known Member

You mustn't have much time for the Irish football team so Fingy :smile:

9. finglasqpr

You're right. I don't. I lost respect for John Delaney and the FAI a long time ago. In fact, I dislike International football. I think it is corrupt to the core.

10. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Fingy.
    As much as I enjoyed watching Barnes play for England, I believe that all International players should be born in the Country they represent or, at the very least, have a Mother or Father from that Country.
    The situation of a player like Costa being born in Brazil, of Brazilian parents and then being able to play for Spain by virtue of living there is utterly ridiculous.

The same applies to all these cricketers who have played for England when they were South African. Shouldn't happen imo.

11. UTRs

UTRs Senile Member

As mentioned in posts above, i'm sure it's more about merit and your previous successes/failings as a FOOTBALL MANAGER, not so much about the colour of your skin.

The sad thing is now that he has played the race card it will be even harder for Barnes to find a job. I bet there is just as many white managers with better track records than Barnes out of work right now. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is only 92 clubs from the prem to the botom tier of the English football leagues, you can cut that in half being he will be only looking at Championship or prem clubs.

Whatever your race job opportunities in this business will be few and far between.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  12. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

There was an interesting article in the Standard last week about Steve Coppell and how he's been out of work for yonks despite a decent track record with both Reading and Crystal Tips...although not such a good CV when it comes to Manchester City.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  13. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Curbishley was another decent manager, did well at Charlton but not so good at WHU and has now disappeared off the radar.......makes Barnes's comments appear even more ridiculous......

14. finglasqpr

Barnes last Managerial job was with Tranmere Rovers. If he can't cut it at their level, he is obviously not good enough.

15. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I reckon it's because he's white!!

16. swans-m

swans-m Well-Known Member

87.1% of the UK population is white. 3% of the UK is black. (The rest is Asian etc)

There are 6 black managers in a 92 league system, which means that 6.52% of all teams have a black manager. Double what the percentage is of their total population. Black managers are doing pretty well in football when you compare the figures.

John Barnes you are just a **** manager, that's why you are not finding work. Cretin.

17. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I think being a boring fat **** and useless manager count against him in an interview far more than being black. He waltzed into a huge job at Celtic ahead of far more qualified people and went on to lose something like 30% of his games in a pub league including that 'super Caley go ballistic' game.

Good rapper, dismal manager.

18. Eamon Holmes

Eamon Holmes Well-Known Member

Good rapper? I've seen better on a Wether's Original.

19. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

Brilliant Footballer ****e manager its as simple as that

Busy Being Headhunted likes this.
  20. TimPR78

TimPR78 Well-Known Member

Whilst at Tranmere him and McAteer were dubbed 'Dumb and Dumber' maybe he should have left that off his CV

Busy Being Headhunted likes this.