1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Banner from last night

Discussion in 'Celtic' started by Admiral Pure, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Admiral Pure

Admiral Pure Well-Known Member

"**** UEFA"

According to Chris McLaughlin (BBC reporter) on Twitter, Peter Lawell has stated both the banner and the flares (which the fans were told were banned) are included in the UEFA match report and "club will face consequences next week".

Great timing lads :emoticon-0114-dull:

2. Thomas The Cat

Thomas The Cat Well-Known Member

Don't think anything can be done about the banner, people are entitled to express disapproval of UEFA and Flares a commonplace so don't expect to much about that either.

3. Admiral Pure

Quite possibly TTC. Guess the point is that when the club and fans are in the spotlight, I'd have thought the prudent thing to do was probably not let off flares when they'd been told it was illegal nor make a banner telling UEFA rather bluntly where to go <laugh>

4. Thomas The Cat

Thomas The Cat Well-Known Member

True, but football fans have never been known for their tact.

5. Bib Fortuna's Maw

Bib Fortuna's Maw Well-Known Member

Dunno about UEFA rules, but in Italian law both banners containing profanities (it's common for banners to be checked by police before Ultras are allowed to unfurl them) and flares at matches are illegal.

Whether we get in trouble directly or not, neither was particularly bright and our card is now well and truly marked with UEFA.

Could've done without it.

6. ManDingo 20"/20"

ManDingo 20"/20" MDMA Guru

Getting into trouble for the banner would be a bit of a joke (but I'd enjoy seeing you get into trouble for the banner) but the flares you deserve to be punished for, its not common place here so why do it abroad.

7. Longshanks

Longshanks Member

Nice banner guys. A perfectly good way to highlight Uefa's constant anti-british stance.

8. Bib Fortuna's Maw

Bib Fortuna's Maw Well-Known Member

<laugh>

We were still annoyed at Eduardo not getting banned <grr>

9. superhoops

superhoops Member

The Banner was fine,I think it should have either included the bias Strathclyde police or else two banners referring to them should
    have been displayed. The letting off flares was wrong and should not have happened. Celtic fans know it was only allowed for the
    Dons fans in Hampdon Park and not for the Celtic fans.

10. DevAdvocate

DevAdvocate Gigging bassist

Alan Rough made a very good point on Real Radio tonight. If you were found guilty in a court of law, would it be freedom of speech to stand outside court with a banner which said "**** you Judge"?

The people who made the banner are ****ing cretins, they are not Celtic "supporters", they are Celtic "detractors". Identify and ban the ****ing lot of them asap then maybe the silent majority can get some peace from this bunch of arseholes.

11. Cossy

Cossy Well-Known Member

Anti-British?

Not really. Its the little Englander mentality that has an issue with UEFA & FIFA.

12. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

They are not Celtic supporters?

I am deeply uncomfortable with that sentiment whenever I hear it. I read the polar opposite on another site.

You most often hear it about hooligans.

13. Admiral Pure

Maybe it was them pesky chelsea fans again <grr>

They are celtic fans, obviously, but they need to get their priorities sorted. I see one has been banned for life by Celtic for the banner on Thursday - well that showed UEFA didn't it?

14. greenhenky

greenhenky Member

whats the problem? the banner said what 99% of Celtic fans thought after the fine!

15. RebelBhoy

RebelBhoy Moderator
    Staff Member

I never commented on the merits of the banner or otherwise.

16. superhoops

superhoops Member

Alan Rough is quite right, Dev, I am glad you quoted him as there is one hell of a difference between been found guilt in a court of law when you have a right to have onlookers and observers giving evidence for you. The judge would have an opportunity to hear both sides of the story and perhaps take into consideration mitigating circumstances.
    In that case, standing outside his court holding a banner "fu.. the judge" would not be a wise way of expressing freedom of speech.
    To the best of my knowledge the Celtic chanting matter was not heard in a court of law. The evidence was given by a member of the Strathclyde police force. Celtic although not aware of what was said were not allowed to either have a legal person cross examine the witness, or call any of their own witnesses.
    This to me looks more like atrial that would have taken place in Nazi Germany than a modern open democracy seeking the truth.
    To hold up a banner saying "fu.. UEFA, not outside their headquarters but in a different Country is stretching the comparison a bit far. I think it is another example of the media putting the boot in, and I am terrible sorry for any Celtic fan to be so naive a to quote that statement without question. God help Celtic fans !!!

17. Admiral Pure

Equally, I never suggested you had commented on, endorsed, refuted or were ambivalent as to the merits of the banner <laugh>

18. Cossy

Cossy Well-Known Member

Buuuuuurrrrrrppppp!

19. DevAdvocate

Don't talk such utter crap.

"The evidence was given by a member of the Strathclyde police force"

Which evidence? The evidence UEFA used to punish Celtic?

Even if it was the case that one solitary Copper was the "only" witness whose word they took, the fact is the Celtic fans were "Guilty" of what they were accused of. Political or inflammatory statements are punishable, Rangers have been punished 3 times for the same thing so we have no cause for complaint.

The chants about "Ooh ah up the ra" - which is what was heard - was sung and it is political.

Guilty as charged.

20. DevAdvocate

So how are they "supporting" Celtic exactly Reb? How did the banner and the flares urge on the team on the park?