1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Austrian Grand Prix: Awards

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by cosicave, Jul 4, 2016.

1. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Best Driver:
    Worst Driver:
    Best Rookie:
    Best Team:
    Worst Team:
    Best Overtake:

Most Surprising Result:
    Least Surprising Result:
    Funniest moment:
    Excuse of the week:

Special Mention:
    Best post from the race thread:
    Race Rating: ?/10

Smithers, ched999uk and DHCanary like this.
  2. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Pascal Wehrlein ,,he had a very good qualifying..was punching above his weight and still did well. Also Button did well.
    Worst Driver: Nico Rosberg...even if he had places second he would have still had a 17 points lead...now it's down to 11 and he was lucky not to be given a bigger penalty or he could have been behind by one point.
    Best Rookie: Pascal Wehrlein ...Vestappen also did a good job but when you weigh the quality of the two cars you would see why I chose the former
    Best Team: Red Bull
    Worst Team: Mercedes..they threw away a ver 1-2 by not pitting Hamilton a bit earlier in the first round of stops...that caused the domino effect that could have ended with no points.
    Best Overtake: Hamilton double take on Vestappen and Palmer...the was sweet and he had to go both at one time or else Rosberg would have scampered off...it was a difficult overtake and he did both at same time.

Most Surprising Result: Vettel not finishing...thought they would have learned their lesson...this is the second time Vettel blew his tyres trying to make them last way past their expected life span...he should have pitted earlier.
    Least Surprising Result: Alonso retiring ...seems like that is becoming the norm
    Funniest moment: Tito not knowing what to say after he was shown Rosberg not trying to make the corner
    Excuse of the week: Tito trying to find an excuse for the crash and not admitting Mercedes made the initial mistake that caused Rosberg to jump Hamilton. More than 25 seconds and they waited until the lead was down to about 20 before pitting Hamilton...if he says he knew it was marginal when it was 25 seconds shouldn't he have known that at 20 seconds Rosberg would take the lead?

Special Mention: Kimi drove steady this week, better than he managed the whole season so far.
    Race Rating: 8+/10[/QUOTE]

3. moreinjuredthanowen

Best Driver: hmmmm... I think verstappen? he got 2nd after all. kimi did ok but ferrari really messed him up.
    Worst Driver: Rosberg.
    Best Rookie: meh... its the same guy every time.
    Best Team: Red bull. both cars solid.
    Worst Team: Mercedes is a bit harsh... I think ferrari. Lousy pit stop for raikkonen and letting vettel drive his tyres to destruction.. again
    Best Overtake: I'm going to go for a different double over take. there was a few early on but i can't remember who did it now.

Most Surprising Result: Button getting 6th!
    Least Surprising Result: Alonso retiring.
    Funniest moment: Rosberg getting interviewed and saying what do you expect me to say to that about the brainless comment by wolff..
    Excuse of the week:

Special Mention: jenson button to get 6th in that race... amazing.
    Best post from the race thread: don't care, never on during race
    Race Rating: 7/10 at best. middle of race was a bit dul. the ending made the race.

4. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Werdheim. P12 quali and brought it home in the points. Had some genuine midfield speed all weekend.
    Worst Driver: Magnussen. Shocking weaving and not showing good form at all
    Best Rookie: Werdheim
    Best Team: Hard not to give it to Mercedes, the brainfade of their drivers should not be held against them, the team should be given kudos for allowing them to race until the end. Ferrari/RBR would have called the race off well before then as a contest.
    Worst Team: Renault, as ever
    Best Overtake: Hamilton's double was good, there are lots out there. Is good in a way that it is hard to pick one because there are so many now.

Most Surprising Result: Points for Manor
    Least Surprising Result: Merc contact when fighting for the lead
    Funniest moment: Tots smashing the desk in anger
    Excuse of the week: Rosberg's attempts to justify what he did

Special Mention: Manor. First points in 2 years
    Race Rating: 8/10 Very entertaining throughout.

5. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Jenson Button - Nailed it in the slippery condtions before showing suprisingly well in the dry. Held on at the top way longer than i expected and came home 6th. Job well done.
    Worst Driver: Nico Hulkenberg - Like Button he nailed it in the wet, but unlike Button he ultimately missed a huge oppertunity, which is becoming the norm for him.
    Best Rookie: Pascal Werhlein - Points in a Manor! Having been last at one point as well.
    Best Team: Oddly enough. I don't think a single team had a good performance with both cars. I guess Manor.
    Worst Team: Force India had a lot of wasted potential.
    Best Overtake: Hamilton on Verstappen and Palmer.

Most Surprising Result: Jenson 6th, Pascal 10th.
    Least Surprising Result: Mercedes win.
    Funniest moment: Sky's whining when Lewis lost the lead.
    Excuse of the week: Anyone who excuses Rosbergs driving on the last lap.

Special Mention: Verstappen, Grosjean, Werhlein. All would have valid claims at best driver.
    Best post from the race thread: Not our best thread.... Probably this one from BLS was the highlight
    Race Rating: 10/10 - Really enjoyed it.

6. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Jenson Button because this is a power track and Werhlein because its a Manor.
    Worst Driver: Nico Hulkenberg and KMag
    Best Rookie: Pascal Werhlein
    Best Team: Mercedes, a class above the rest although probably over exaggerated due to the significant track temp drop.
    Worst Team: Williams by far.
    Best Overtake: Hamilton on Rosberg and Button on (I cant remember)

Most Surprising Result: Lewis not disappearing.
    Least Surprising Result: Ferrari issues
    Funniest moment: Sky's whining when Lewis isn't winning. Ted was really bad this week.
    Excuse of the week: Nico's "brake problem" - just say you deliberately ran him wide and gave him a choice and that you would do it again - regardless of the stewards!
    Special Mention: Verstappen, Grosjean, Werhlein and Lewis who all had a legitimate claim to DoTD.
    Best post from the race thread: Not our best thread....but sadly for the wrong reasons. Nico was blatant, but the rules and stewards are fundamentally flawed and this should be the discussion point.
    Race Rating: 9/10 - You wont see a better one for a long time.

7. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Best Driver: Wehrlein / Verstappen.

Worst Driver: A tricky one. Actually, Rosberg, having been quickest throughout most of the weekend and regaining ground from 6th to 1st place, had been a good candidate for Best Driver right up until… Now, his antics may be admired by some but I'm selecting him because he was essentially the fastest driver in the best car at his favourite circuit, yet instead of exploiting these advantages when it mattered by remaining consistently focussed on each subsequent driving task – thus maintaining or even extending the gap to his rival – he caved in to pressure at the worst possible moment in the worst possible way. Kvyat, Hulkenberg and Magnussen also underperformed in the race.

Best Rookie: Wehrlein. A superb drive in a poor car from the least experienced driver.

Best Team: Mercedes. A seemingly odd choice perhaps? Well, I base it on the fact that had it been another leading team (note that I'm not mentioning Ferrari or Red Bull), we would not have seen an enthralling scrap to the end.

Worst Team: Renault. I believe they ought to be doing better by now.

Best Overtake: Some may see this as contentious but it my mind, there is no doubt. Hamilton v Rosberg. I believe that when Hamilton eventually turned in, he could not see Rosberg (blind-spots are huge and exactly where Rosberg was, relative to him at the point where even this delayed turn-in would be reasonable to expect). However, even after being run right off the track, he remained focussed on regaining the track in the quickest manner, actually delaying it due to Rosberg's position.

Most Surprising Result: Manor. A simply wonderful result.

Least Surprising Result: For once, this is far more difficult than 'most surprising'!

Funniest moment: Hmm. Not sure.

Excuse of the week: Rosberg did himself no favours during post-race interviews but what he claimed about 'the' incident was hard to swallow.

Special Mention: Manor in the points. Button's great qualifying and relatively superb result.

Best post from the race thread: I'm not sure. I wasn't here until after but I'm saddened by whatever happened with EMSC. Maybe this category isn't working and should be removed? If so, I'll claim all responsibility as it seems to have flopped!

Race Rating: 9.66/10

8. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Best Driver: Werhlein, just seemed on it this weekend. Really got a result that should have been nowhere near coming
    Worst Driver: Rosberg through it all away in such a peculiar manner, but in this case I give it to kMag
    Best Rookie: Werhlein
    Best Team: Mercedes, although their strategy that brought the drivers together was odd
    Worst Team: Ferrari missed a big chance this weekend.... again.
    Best Overtake: Vestappens cheeky one on Ricciardo?

Most Surprising Result: Werhlein
    Least Surprising Result: Hamilton? Although I guess how it came about was a bit surprising!
    Funniest moment: I'll be nice
    Excuse of the week: Brake problems, which seemed to allow a car to decelerate at the same rate as the sister car....

Special Mention: Button obviously, Grosjean snuck up there, Hamilton for not giving it up
    Best post from the race thread: Many amuse me, can always count on some!
    Race Rating: 8.5/10 - pleasantly surprised.