1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Atyeo of England

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Jiffie, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I am reading the book Atyeo:The hero next door and reading books about Bristol City and it’s players it never ceases to amaze me of important parts of our history that do not seem to be common knowledge and this is a new one on me.

I had the pleasure to watch John Atyeo for the last 8 years of his career. I have just finished a chapter entitled Atyeo of England.

In 1957 after being left out for almost a year after a 0-0 draw in Sweden. City were in the then 2nd division and England had 3 games to play in their group of Denmark and Ireland for qualification for the 1958 world cup and he was selected for all 3 and scored 4 goals in those games (his best scoring run for England).

England beat Ireland 5-1 at Wembley and he scored 2, he later scored a goal in a 4-1 win in Copenhagen against Denmark.

The final game was in Dublin against Ireland and England needed a point to qualify and they went 1-0 down early in the game, in virtually the last minute Tom Finney broke free on the right and crossed to the far post and Big John thundered in a powerful header to scrape the point that they needed to qualify.

He was never selected for the 1958 world cup squad and never played for England again.

In 2004 an Irish poet Peter Goulding wrote this poem about that night in Dublin in 1957, it is all the more poignant because some the England players had perished in the 1958 Munich disaster. The poem is called ‘Atyeo 1957’, enjoy.

Atyeo 1957

PETER GOULDING

To paraphrase bold Philip Greene,
    The noiselessness was so complete
    They turned enquiring faces e’en
    ‘Pon Dublin’s famed O’Connell Street.
    A hush descended so profound,
    An ant that crept o’er Peter’s clock
    Could well be heard throughout the ground
    By thousands paralysed with shock.
    Alfie Ringstead’s early strike
    Had separated these two teams,
    Though England pressed and fretted like
    Old rag dolls fraying at the seams,
    But seemingly to no avail;
    As Ireland pushed the gates of Eden,
    Following her Holy Grail –
    A debut World Cup place in Sweden.
    Liam Whelan, soon to fall
    Upon a snowy Munich night,
    Kept close possession of the ball
    To keep the World Cup flame alight.
    And David Pegg, on England’s wing,
    Did gain his first and only cap.
    And mourners too for him would sing
    When Munich hatched its bitter trap.
    The obese lady cleared her throat,
    And Finney motored down the flank,
    Picked out Atyeo remote,
    And Ireland’s brave resistance sank.
    No silence such had e’er been heard
    As that which fell on Dalymount.
    No curse, no groan, no single word
    Could anybody stunned recount.
    Thus Atyeo saved England’s pride
    And spared his country grievous pain.
    No more though did he make the side,
    For he was never picked again.

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

'Thus Atyeo saved England’s pride
    And spared his country grievous pain'

I have never read those 2 lines before, they're great, he was and still is my hero, thankyou jiffie and a merry christmas to you.

3. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

I read that book many years ago and have commented before that every City fan should read it.

It actually gives a good impression of the time before money ruled the game; a time when honour and loyalty meant so much and makes you realise, as a City fan, that the Atyeo we revere, could have gone on to do so much more within the game, not only for a “big” club, but also for England.

4. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

How those days of gentlemen footballers are sorely missed and one of my fondest memories is of seeing him arrive at Ashton Gate on his bike. Merry Christmas one and all from the far reaches of Vancouver Island. <cheers>

5. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

The only thing that I would add is from reading this and other books about BCFC's history. Although things have changed payments wise, back in John Atyeo's era with the strict control over payments, it is obvious that our wonderful chairman and benefactor Harry Dolman let's say stretched the laws to the limit and beyond but obviously both covered their tracks really well.

It is also obvious that especially during the Peter Doherty era that there was a divided dressing room and by his own admission and later embarrassment that Big John was a ring leader in that and again as is the case historically with BCFC the fans are the ones that suffered.