1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Aston Villa vs Wolves

Discussion in 'Aston Villa' started by HerculesHarrier, Mar 31, 2011.

1. HerculesHarrier

HerculesHarrier New Member

ASTON VILLA VS WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS
    March 19th 2011

Without a home game for over two weeks I arrived in time for this much awaited derby game with, as ever a claret and blue tinted spring in my step. Deep down my new found faith in Mr Houllier was still stinging from the dent it took up at Manchester City last time out.

Gerard had spoken to the press prior to the game promising the fans a performance to cheer about reinforcing the fact that the squad are in good spirits and have prepared well, glossing over the ructions that have come to light following a spat between the staff and our senior players whilst “team building” during the recent break. Quite conveniently both senior centre half’s are side-lined through injury today so the two week fines in wages equates to what some would class unpaid leave.

It was clear prior to kick off that the gaffers tactical press release may have been in vain as a banner flying from the Holte End spelt out their feelings during the warm up. I hoped these fans would rue sharing their lack of confidence in the Frenchman at the final whistle but unfortunately they would not.

Again a starting line up that makes you think, fresh, energetic if not slightly inexperienced across the back, should be enough to take 3 home points from our local rivals who have not taken the honours in over 31 years.

The visitors; Youth & experience in the middle of the park with Jarvis, O Hara, Henry, big physical defence Stearman & Berra with a genuine threat up front in Doyle. Man for man maybe not the quality or potential of our line up but throw in a magic ingredient consisting of a must win attitude and 11 players willing to crawl through glass for their manager and an away win seems more than a possibility.
    These fears were soon reality as Wolves had the ball in the back of the net but to the relief of the home crowd as well as the French Penguin and Tracksuit Gary the Linesman had his flag up.

Jean Makoun previously impressive, seemed a little isolated throughout the afternoon as Nigel Reo Coker went missing. With Ashley in front of them seemingly there to support our super signing Darren Bent his efforts seemed half hearted and quite honestly maybe rightly so as he just didn’t posses the height or strength to provide that deft flick or weighted ball that you would expect from the tool box of Heskey or even the late John Carew. It reminded me of trying to change a light bulb wearing a boxing glove you know if you tried for long enough it might come off but there must be an easier way?

We go one nil down to a great strike which fell somewhat fortunately to Matt Jarvis, Friedel stranded as the ball nestled into the net off the back post.

Without analysing each and every player’s average performance on Saturday afternoon the reasons for these must be highlighted instead; The 60 minute change came from the dugout and in good time, what would be the inspiration? A cacophony of abuse followed from the home support as the energetic winger Marcus Albrighton who seemed to match the heart of the average dingle was to take a rest he made way for Gabby surely Ashley would pick up on the wing and Gabby could partner Bent for the last 30 minutes?

This wasn’t to be as Gabby resided “out of” position on the left wing and the centre of midfield was given extra dynamic with the introduction of Gino D’Acampo, on this note I am intrigued to know why one of our most promising exciting young midfielders in Barry Bannan has been sent on loan, out of favour to this 37 year old has been? I was told at work today sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards excusing my second analogy this seems like swapping my email account for 1000 2ndclass stamps.

There were highlights of the afternoon like the chorus of you don’t know what you’re doing as all of the above unfolded and when Jean II Makoun finally slipped in Ashley Young who woke up beat Hennessey but not the cross bar. None of which topped the linesman pulling his hamstring who incidentally had an excellent afternoon ruling out a second away goal earlier in the match, his exit simulated the movement of our creative chef in midfield and that about summed it up.

The youngsters are obviously going to put their trust and their careers in the hands of someone who comes to the helm with past experience and honours both domestically and in Europe as Gerard undoubtedly does but we must worry when the senior players, the backbone of our club James Collins, Richard Dunne, Stiliyan Petrov, Stephen Warnock and earlier John Carew have had fall outs with the management style being adopted by the duo of Houliier & Mcallister.

This is what worries me most, Dunne has been a mentor for Ciaran Clark during his transition into the 1st team and should Dunne go in the summer do not be surprised to see his protégée follow. With that in mind I bet Kyle Walker must be counting down the days to his return to White Hart Lane and to a club this time last year you couldn’t slip a fag paper between but who in 12 months have accelerated onwards as quickly as we have sank to the depths of obscurity.

No matter how much Mr Houllier may try and convince us and the press that all is well at Villa Park it is obvious that when such experienced figure heads in the club have such public problems with the goings on then this will be passed on through the camp hence the lack of want and fight deployed on Saturday afternoon which was the difference between the two sides and ultimately that led to the disappointing result.

Although I always feel that we must back the appointment made by the board and hope they will do the best for the club & in turn the fans, the actions we have seen at Anfield and our exits from both cups at St Andrews and the City of Manchester are a sign of an inept manager who is full of excuses most recently accusing the fans of not getting behind the team……………We are behind the team Monsieur Houllier but not behind you!

2. Stanleyyy

Stanleyyy New Member

Twas the easiest 3 points we've had this season. Cheers.