1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Asset Stripping, cost cutting & general larceny rolling thread

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Dec 13, 2016.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

My aim is to do every away game next season. I did vow I would never go back to Fleetwood :headbang:

2. User deleted as requested

Wonder is the £50,000 for Harry Lennon paid for the pre season tour ?

3. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

50k used to get you Garry Nelson. :confused:

4. User deleted as requested

One of our best signings of the last 30 years <applause>

What a grafter & 100% er “Nelse” was.

People talk about closing down the opponent like it’s a new phenomenon invented by Brendan Rodgers while he was under the sunbed - Garry Nelson was doing it while Brendan still had his original set of teeth.

John Robinson was another terrific buy from Brighton - £75,000.

5. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

And Kinsella, what was he, about £125,000? In those days we had Curbs who would watch a player 6 or 7 times before buying him, as opposed to having a kid in front of a screen.

6. User deleted as requested

SSN reporting that Barnet have had a bid accepted for striker John Akinde.

Deja vu ?

I reckon it’s us or Oxford ...

7. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

A National League & League Two goal machine!
    About time he got another chance in the 3rd tier.

8. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

I'm currently in Oz for a couple of days and my new ITK status means I can tell you there is zero coverage of Chsrlton here just now. Our signing of Lyle Whatsisname made no headlines, and any interest in Akinde likewise.

9. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was keeping tabs on your possible take over and saw the post above about Gary Nelson. Boy that makes me feel old now. I remember him very well from his time with Argyle. Mid 80's I think it was. Great player and would love to have him playing for us now even if he was from another era. Makes you wonder sometimes what these players of yesteryear would be worth these days. None of the crap diving nonsense for them. They got on with it and put an honest shift in. I know you can't turn the clock back but sometimes you can dream can't you...................

10. User deleted as requested

How’s your summer recruitment going at Plymouth so far ?

Here at Charlton, a part time Belgian circus twinned with Billy Smarts, we are going for what is known in the trade as “a total rebuild”, starting with finding an owner.

Then we are moving on to -

A CEO
    A Finance Officer
    A Manager
    Some players would be nice

And all in the next 5 weeks <whistle>

11. Elfsborg från Borås

Elfsborg från Borås Well-Known Member

A wonderful era.

Football has been finished for years. It's all about money.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Have to say it is going or rather has gone very well. We have 10 (ten) yes that's 10 new players. The reason for the emphasis is that I'm gobsmacked at the numbers brought in. On paper where games are not played they all look to be pretty decent. I'm never going to get carried away about a signing until I've seen them kick a ball in a game. We have retained the majority of players we would probably want to retain so the terrace rats are reasonably satisfied. We have also re-employed a CEO from the past, Michael Durnford, who was well liked also by the supporters and well respected in the game. New squad, new CEO and work going on to improve the old grandstand. I guess what's not to like about it. Mind you there are bound to be some who won't be happy. All it takes is for us to start next season like we did the last and the happiness will soon disappear.

13. User deleted as requested

Plymouth ran out of steam last season, but can at least rule Charlton out as a promotion rival this term. We have lost arguably our 4 best players from an already p1ss weak squad, the manager is on a weekly contract, and the owner has just told the kids to bring their own porridge to training.

On the plus side, we have a takeover thread with 1000 pages <cracker>

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not sure we ran out of steam but rather ran out of fit players last season. Bigger squad this time so hopefully the injured list will not be as noticeable. The only player of note we have lost is possibly Bradley the CH. Now, our manager Mr Adams hardly Mr Magnetic Personality but I think he is pretty astute player wise. I think he wasn't at all bothered if Bradley stayed for a new contract or not. I have no idea what offer was made to him but at a guess it was not improved and was only for another 12 months. Bradley got offered a few more quid and a longer deal by Luton and chose to go. He wasn't pushed out so Manager doesn't get stick about a fans favourite leaving. I think also Adams thought he had seen the best out of him and it could be improved on.

There are people who call for our Chairman/Owner to leave the building as well. It isn't the same as your shout though. I'm not a fan particularly but as far as owners go he isn't anywhere near the worst. He came in when we were on our belly about to breathe our last. He didn't bring a fat wallet he just brought his name and business knowhow. He got out the Defib and plugged it in. We are still breathing even if he still hasn't put any money in. He never said he would and we have been to Wembley and been promoted back up a rung since he arrived. We are virtually self sufficient and there is a refusal to get into any debt again from the board. He is likely to walk away one day with a few quid extra but I doubt many will object when it happens. Despite the rescue at the 11th hour, the resurrection of the team and promotion still people see it as a bad deal for us. You can't win can you. I suspect your supporters would have been a lot happier with that kind of scenario than the one you have been dealt.

15. Ponders Revisited

Ponders Revisited Well-Known Member

Lovely post. <ok>

16. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

Word from another forum is that Charlton are signing an experienced mid-30's midfielder next week.
    It's either a free transfer or the player is already a free agent.

This player will help out our younger midfield players by passing on his experience. It has to be assumed that this player is one of the four "better quality" players that Lee Bowyer said he wanted.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  17. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Isn't there a guy out there called Kashi who is a free agent?

18. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

wages would put an end to that move.

19. User deleted as requested

Sounds like another Andrew Crofts or Kevin Foley type ageing plodder. Not what we need to get 85 points in League 1. I will wait to see the name....nothing there to suggest that we about to get a rich new owner is there ?

20. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

I reckon it could be Karl Henry.