1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Assess Older Defenders in Prem (Oct Int Break)

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Super Brian McBride, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Part 2 Assess Older Defenders in Prem (Oct Int Break)
    Defence: We haven't had a settled defence yet, injures and suspensions. So a lot of the poor performances could be down to lack of game time together.
    My thoughts:

Bettinelli It was strange that he wasn't given the starting games. Manager said he had an injury, but player seem to disagree. I think a lot of supporters felt Bettinelli had earnt his starting place. The goalkeeping situation was weird with 3 keepers. I can't say I look on Bettinelli as being the top class keeper we need, but in most games he has played well and gained a few MOTM awards.

Christie I haven't really seen anything that says I would have him as my first choice RB. When playing wing he seems to take one touch too many before crossing and momentum is lost. His Millwall goal shows he has a left foot to cut back on. Like Martin O'Neill I too wondered wether he had been told to stay up front and not track back, because there were a few times he didn't track back and he was definately targeted by Arsenal as a weak point.

Odoi His suspension didn't help the early defensive structure. He's come back in and been solid in the Centre but he still has a rash tackle and mistake in him. Personally I'd like to see him second choice at RB after Mensah if he could produce his WB play, over lapping and defending were his strong points when he played RB.

Ream Only just come back into the team. The question can he cope with the pace of the Premier still to be answered. Last season he was a Rock in our defence bar the odd mistake. The Centre back positions for me are always about finding partnerships (Hangeland & Hughes types).

Ryan Sessegnon The big debate where to play him. I'm in the camp of playing him up front not at LB. So I'll save my thoughts till I do Part 3 The Midfielders Old & New.

I'd like to throw in
    Fossey It's a real shame that he has had another injury because the games I've seen him play he had a real energy about him and looked to be a good prospect as a Wing back.
    Steven Sessegnon Again has an energy about him that could freighten defences just like his brother did. Seems to adapt to playing different positions along the back four.

2. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

As always it's difficult to add to your assessments SuperBri. My immediate thought though are:

While Fosu-Mensah is out injured and Christie apparently out of form and/or confidence, then Odoi should come in at RB. Subject of course to the fitness of Mawson and also Ream and the attitude of Chambers.

An alternative, well worth a risk, is Steven Sessegnon at RB. As well as the attributes you mention, a very positive strength is ... composure. Evidenced in the League Cup game against Millwall (where I believe he played CB). After a nervy wee mistake early on he showed composure in abundance.

PS Left Maxime Le Marchand out of the CB equation on purpose - given comments in the other related thread. Which is kind of unfair since it's his Birthday today

upload_2018-10-11_17-34-8.png

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Super Brian McBride likes this.