1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

As Nan would say....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Spanish, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

What a load of old Sh*t!!!

Redruth likes this.
  2. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Yep.
    Yet another manager who changes the whole team and we exit a cup at the first hurdle.

3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

At least we can focus on the league now like we have done the past 15 years.

We've had a decent start but I just feel it in my gut at the moment McKenna is being too ideological. We're not good enough in the final third and I'm sorry but given the strikers we've had under McKenna we should've scored more I bet the majority of clubs at this level laugh when they say if only we had a 20 goal a season striker...you're not telling me Norwood, Pigott, Jackson, Chaplin, Ladepo, Bonne isn't enough fire power to score at this level in a team who apparently creates tonnes of chances. It's more than a personnel problem that's why we're not scoring enough it's a tactical one. How come all of those strikers have looked like they're feeding off scraps

Redruth and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  4. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

I think the formation has a lot to do with our issues. I would much rather us play with 2 up front in a 3-5-2 formation or 3-4-1-2 with 1 number 10 playing behind the 2 strikers. The formation we’re playing with 2 number10s doesn’t work for me as often, we have 2 players in the same space. Not sure if we’re trying to be too clever about it rather than just playing to our strengths

5. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

I didnt listen, but seems to be all too familiar tale of massive dominance, endless shots from all angles, but no goals!

If I was MK I would be scratching my head, what if we changed the formation or tactics?

Otherwise, get yer checkbook out Gamechanger, and pretty darn quick!

This pretty style of play will not see us promoted.
    Local Rivals Utd win bragging rights, tho tbh I dont give a gnats arse about this cup.

Redruth likes this.
  6. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I certainly agree with playing 2 uptop the defenders have more to do, since McKenna has come in I can't think of many occasions where we've given the defence a torrid time or many occasions where we've forced a mistake out of the back line which given our quality and the lack of quality defences in league 1 is surprising. The only time I can think we did was against Gillingham when we played Norwood and Bonne upfront which is probably one of the best performances I've seen from Town.

We always score perfect goals through cut backs, never a good bit of play from the striker or a cross from deep we can't even score properly from a corner it has to be a 'clever' move worked on in training.

The reason why this is is because we're never intentionally direct and don't get the ball forward quick enough. We only have 1 player occupying the back line this means as a defence you can sit back set your stall with the game mostly infront of you. The midfielders are having a nightmare because we overload there but as a defender you probably feel quite comfortable apart from the odd bit when our individual quality comes through.

I'd definitely prefer 2 upfront but we are very light when you look at doing that now in comparison to last season who would you play? We've lost 2 20 goal a season strikers. But even if we stick to the one we can do more, play with wide forwards make sure players who support the main striker are up there and go beyond them regularly to stretch play. We've too many players who are comfortable with the play being infront of them.

We've had a decent start in the league I've just seen the same problems already this season we had under McKenna last season and it worries me that it will come back to bite us at some point.

7. Spanish

Deffo 2 up top, been saying it for years, along with a few others on here!!

Redruth and itfcptc like this.
  8. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Time for an old gaffer letter to the Towen gaffer!

Redruth likes this.
  9. Spanish

Ask him wtf he sees in Chaplin!!

10. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

Are the Col Fans watching Football factory and Green street on hard rotation?

11. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Ive been disproportionately angry at this result over the week.

Why do we insist on changing the the whole team so early on in the season and then expect the second string to perform.

Just once I'd like us to take a cup match seriously, I don't really care that "we're not going to win it anyway" it can be a good news story and instill a winning mentality through the whole club.

For over a decade it appears we've tried to have a first 11 that's only just good enough. And then a cup team that seems to be sent out to remove us from the cups. How will we ever be successful if half the squad is told - indirectly - that losing is acceptable.

Rant off my chest...

San Diego, Spanish and itfcptc like this.