1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: I admire Kenny's honesty | Football, Liverpool

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by KingPepeReina., Aug 4, 2011.

1. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

One of todays reports state that Kenny has said that the investment in the squad since January has been needed. He said it was needed to get Liverpool out of the slide they had been in since the 2009/2010 season. He has also said that the spending MAY not be over yet.
    The report however only mentions the £102 million that has been spent since January,but not the £58.5 million that has be recouped since January. So those that suggest that Kenny is a ''cheque-book manager'' would be in fact wrong. He has integrated home-grown players that he himself coached at the academy into the first team squad, and if necessary will do so again.
    Kenny has also said his spending has been sensible.
    However some may suggest that it isn't because he spent £16 million on Jordan Henderson whom according to many is unproven, but fail to mention he has been signed for the next five years and not the next five minutes. Possibly the biggest debate will be regarding Andy Carroll signed in January, is he worth it?, was there alternatives?
    To answer both questions,and this is just my opinion, there was one, just one alternative.
    That alternative was Fernando Llorente, and according to some reports Liverpool actually put in a bid for which was rejected. I believe he would have cost a similar amount to Andy Carroll if he was purchased. However the difference would have been that Andy Carroll unlike Llorente has premiership experience.
    As for Kennys other two signings I believe he signed them because they add to the squad, something the squad lacked. What is wrong with that?
    Thoughts.

2. Killa_Kam

Killa_Kam Member

3. Red Baron

Red Baron Active Member

Spot on.

4. Foredeckdave

Foredeckdave Music Thread Manager

No need for a comment - just right

5. kph103

kph103 Well-Known Member

Actually we have recouped a bit ore than that as we sold Konchesky and Jovanovich.

We will only know the true worth of these signings after a season or two.We have possibly paid a little over the odds on Henderson and Carrol but who knows might to turn out to be real bargains,esp when you look at what £50 mill bought Chelski.
    I still feel we need 2 or maybe 3 more players to get us back to challenging for the title and I am pleased Kenny has hinted there may be more to come BUT we need to shift the deadwood.Would Joey Barton be a good signing or another Joe Cole?He wasa great provider for big Andy first half of last season but is he too disruptive?

6. KingPepeReina.

I would prefer if we could debate Kennys comments,I believe he's spot on,and there has been comments on other threads that he's a ''Cheque-book manager'' etc.
    I don't believe this to be the case. Kenny himself asked the question, name a manager who hasn't spent money and has been successful? Okay spending money doesn't ensure that success will happen, look at Mark Hughes. However if money is spent wisely,added to the other igredients ie cohesion,self belief,team-work and good management. Then success may happen.

7. Foredeckdave

KPR there is no need for debate when both you and Kenny are correct. Just let the idiots on other threads waffle away they just can't help being idiots

8. KingPepeReina.

Dave.
    I posted a sensible thread that may provide some sensible debate.

9. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

I honestly think Henderson will live up to his price tag, Carroll may not be a consistent 20+ goals per season man but I believe he will still be very important over the years. Cohesion will be important for us this year, I don't think it will be a smooth season but I can see cohesion being a problem at Man City still. Chelsea are yet to convince me but I know they are always capable of proving you wrong, as are Manure who I believe are no stronger than they were last season. Arsenal...need I say anything?

No doubt I think top 4 will be a grueling fight this season, but with the squad we have now and a couple more additions I believe Kenny will bring back CL nights back to Anfield again.

10. Foredeckdave

Then go ahead and have your debate mate it's just that I have nothing further to add<ok>

BTW it shows the mancs that their opinion of you is wrong

11. kph103

kph103 Well-Known Member

Kenny never was a cheque book manager no matter what others say.However,investment was desperately needed to stop us falling further behind and it has been done well,i believe.
    Its ok for others to criticise but they would all love to be in the same position,what football manager ever didn't want money to spend?
    Also compared to City and Chelski we are still paupers when it comes to the spending stakes.Mancini recently said he NEEDS 2 more player..what the ....? Man City have the most £20 million plus players in their squad than any other team in the world..I think its 11 at last count..now thats cheque book managing but still wont guarantee success.
    Liverpool proved last year against the top 4 that they could beat any of them (exc arsenal but we didn.t loose to them either) but you need that mix of skill and spirit.Kenny did that when he took over by bringing in quality in Suarez and spirit in the likes of Spearing and Flanagan.You have to have players to do the dirty work and not a team of show ponies.

12. KingPepeReina.

If I were a betting man, I would tip that the title will be a fightout between Manchester City and Chelsea. Chelsea have a young ambitous manager that wants to prove himself. They are a wounded animal,and they haven't had any squad upheaval as such. Man City, if they can get their squad to gel and Mancini(whom I don't rate as a manager) lets the brakes off and plays players in their correct positions will be a formidable opponent.
    This is an honest opinion and it isn't anti Man United, but I think the loss of an experienced premiership keeper will hurt them more than they think.
    De Gea may be a young talented keeper, but he's got no premiership experience. I reckon he should have been gradually broken in with an experienced head signed to prevent him from losing all confidence. If he makes one or two mistakes, it could destroy him on a long term scale. I'm refering to what Liverpool in 1992 did with David James, they threw him into the deep end because they had no choice, when in reality it would have been better to break him in gradually.
    This is the sole reason why I feel that the premiership will not be going to Old Trafford in 2012.
    As for Liverpool, Its too early to talk about them being champions, however thats not to say they won't challenge,they will challenge, Kenny will insist they challenge. However I feel they will fall short. I believe this is just phase one of the John Henry master plan. I also believe in my prediction that Liverpool under Kenny will be crowned champions within 3 years. I also believe Liverpool are the ones that are best equiped to embark on a sustained period of domination.
    Arsenal. Possibly the neutrals favourite team,and the best footballing side in the premiership bar none. They lack one vital ingredient to be successfu.....l a tough,nasty streak. As talented as Arsenal are, they are too damn nice. They got their success from being as nasty as they were talented. Until Wenger signs a couple of uncompromising nasty players that take no guff from anyone, they will remain trophyless.

13. kph103

kph103 Well-Known Member

I agree with you to a point about chelsea but I still don't think they addressed the problem of an ageing squad,no big money signings (yet).I don't think city will win it with Mancini in charge although def top 3 again.Players like Ballotelli,although obviously talanted,will hold them back.While we are on that point why does noone criticise them for spending millions on Dzeko ? 2 goals all season and i think 1 was against lower league opposition.
    i still think Utd will be the team to beat but as you say they are definately weaker than last year and how they won it last year is a mystery.
    Arsenal seem to be caught between 2 stools seems they want to spend big but just cant bring themselves to do it.In fact it wouldn't seem right if they did would it.As much as he whinges there is no doubting Wengers ability to spot a bargain.However,if the Fabregas palava ever reaches a conclusion in that he leaves,then they will be most definately weaker no matter who they bring in.

14. KingPepeReina.

Some people seem to think that having no CL may actually be a blessing in disguise for Liverpool this season. Providing they go about their business quietly and just pick up points.
    I believe that City may have the trouble Spurs had last year in attempting to juggle CL and the premiership. You can have a huge squad, but if you let one competiition pre-occupy your thoughts and forget about another then you are in trouble. Thats what Spurs did. City don't have CL experience like seasoned campaigners like Man United and Chelsea and Arsenal do,who can get out of the group stages without breaking a sweat. It will be more of a struggle for City due to their inexperience.
    If City get pre-occupied with the CL and their results are not the best in the league,we must take advantage of it. There is no reason why Liverpool cannot finish in the top 3.

15. charmingmikeylfc

I think both Henderson and Carroll are massive gambles. I'm not doubting KK but just think that for us to build our attack around a man who had half a good season for Newcastle is a risk. I really don't see Henderson featuring much this year but pressure from above may demand it. If so Lucas, player of the season, will miss out. And as for Kuyt, according to most posters, won't get a game.

16. KingPepeReina.

Why would lucas miss out when he and Henderson play different roles? If Henderson and Lucas play in the same side, Henderson will play on the right,Adam on the left and Lucas in the middle of a midfield trio. Lucas will plonk himself in front of the back-four whilst the other two will be advanced. It would be a 4-1-2-3 formation.

17. sugchesterunited

As a United fan, I enjoy being written off every season as it's all the more satisfying when we win the premier league again. Our goalkeeping situation may be weaker, but Arsenal managed to challenge for 1st place for most of last season with 3 shocking keepers so it can certainly be done. De Gea is not inexperienced either, he's played 84 times for Atheltico and as we saw with Petr Cech, young keepers can come in and do fantastic jobs. The rest of the team however is strengthened, with the addition of a new left winger and some more defensive prospects.

Hopefully United may sign another midfielder which we could certainly do with, either way we will be up there at the end of the season no doubt about it.

18. kph103

kph103 Well-Known Member

whats with the 'pressure from above'.I dont believe Kenny will be told how to run the team and I don't believe FSG ask him to do so.He has stated they are very supportive so not sure where that coment comes from.And as previous posters have said Henderson wouldn't threaten Lucas's position anyway. FSG's way is to buy young players for the future.

19. kph103

kph103 Well-Known Member

[Hopefully United may sign another midfielder which we could certainly do with, either way we will be up there at the end of the season no doubt about it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone on here would write Utd off but unless you do sign someone like Sneider I think you will have a tough task,You must admit you won it last year with the worst squad of players you have had for some time and it was the experience of players like Van de Sar that got you that extra point or 3.With de gea you don't have that experience regardless of how many times he has played in Spain and how good he turns out to be.

20. Foredeckdave

Confidence is a great thing. Over confidence however is mere foolishness - just ask the bookies as they feed off it. There is a whole season to go yet and to assume that there is "no doubt" smacks of gross over confidence.