1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: 2013 Driver Line-ups, News & Rumours | Formula one

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by genjigonzales, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genjigonzales

genjigonzales Active Member

You may think it too early for this but, with Hamilton looking like he's waiting to see how it goes and Massa's performance under intense scrutiny, a hairline fracture now could lead to a flood of speculation, information and confirmation in the coming weeks and months, like this one:

What we think we know so far:

[table="width: 75%, class: grid, align: center"]
    [tr]
    [td]Team[/td]
    [td]Drivers[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Red Bull Racing[/td]
    [td]Vettel
    Webber[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]McLaren[/td]
    [td]Button
    Perez[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Ferrari[/td]
    [td]Alonso
    Massa
    [/td][/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Mercedes[/td]
    [td]Hamilton
    Rosberg[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Lotus[/td]
    [td]Raikkonen
    Grosjean
    [/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Force India[/td]
    [td]di Resta
    ??[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Sauber[/td]
    [td]Hulkenberg
    Gutierrez[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Toro Rosso[/td]
    [td]Ricciardo
    Vergne[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Williams[/td]
    [td]Maldonado
    Bottas[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Caterham[/td]
    [td]Pic
    ? Petrov ? / ? Kovalainen ? / ? Kobayashi ?[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Marussia[/td]
    [td]Glock
    Chilton[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]? HRT ?[/td]
    [td]de la Rosa
    ??[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Key: Confirmed - Unconfirmed - Rumour/Speculation - Unlikely

2. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Is that site remotely trustworthy? Never heard of it before.

3. genjigonzales

Possibly not, but I only offer it only as speculation. There a subtle difference between an F1 correspondent claiming to have been told that Webber has a pre-contract agreement and someone in the paddock spotting Hamilton visiting Red Bull. GMM have picked it up, though:

The language is highly speculative and the correct dots might not be being joined but Ferrari have been known to leak information about pre-contract agreements years in advance of an actual driver transfer.

4. Delete Me

Delete Me Well-Known Member

I read that this guy said the same thing last year and it didn't happen. They say he has good sources but so far it just sounds like bollox.

You should also put Hamilton in unlikely as Horner has come out 3 times already in the past saying that they don't want him in their team. They say they want Webber to be replaced by a youth product so it will be either Vergne or Ricciardo in speculation.

5. genjigonzales

Where did you read that?

6. Delete Me

autosport I think

7. genjigonzales

You think? Would it be too much trouble, Silver, whenever you say "I read this" or "the media said that" to provide a link so I don't have to go searching for what you're referring to? Otherwise it becomes very difficult to separate the biased opinions from objective facts. :)

The Autosport forum said this:

Not that I especially have any faith in Spanish journalists but you said it was "bollox" because you read so on Autosport, you think, when the only contributor there who seemed familiar with the journalist thinks it might not be.

8. Delete Me

Didn't really think much of this rumour, so my attention span would be quite limited in that area lol.

9. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

My guess would be that..
    Redbull lineup of Vettel, and.. if Webber performs he may stay if not its between Ricciardo and Vergne for the second seat.
    McLaren, Button and/or Hamilton, Hamilton may leave for Mercedes, can't see him going anywhere else, but that would depend on Mercedes continuing to prove they can run with the big boys, not only in qualifying!
    Ferrari, Alonso and Perez, unless Massa starts trouncing Alonso (not going to happen) so can't see him retaining his seat at Ferrari.
    Lotus, impressed by Grosjean, if he continues and scores (good) points on a regular basis and backs up Kimi well, can't see them changing their driver line-up
    Mercedes, Rosberg, Schumacher to stay one more year if Hamilton decides to stay with McLaren
    Force India, biased so would like to see Di Resta keep the drive, Hulk has been a bit hit an miss, could see his place go to a up and coming GP2 driver with lots of money in sponsorship.
    Sauber, Kobayashi with the possible return of Massa or go after someone like Petrov and his cash?
    Toro Rosso, if Webber moves on, then one of Ricciardo and Vergne may be retained here, whilst the other gets promoted to the senior team, depending on their performance.
    Williams, can see Maldonado and Senna retaining their "paid" drives, both are doing a decent job and unless other "paying" drivers come in with more money, can't see this changing.

10. genjigonzales

OK, well thanks, anyway, for posting your misunderstanding rather than what was actually written. Good work. <ok>

Seriously, though, the people on Autosport who dismiss the idea appear to be doing so because it didn't happen last year. That's not a valid reason, imo. If we take the spare seat at Ferrari for granted (without discussing the Massa question here) and take into account Domenicali's opinion that Alonso "has a central role in the team, and he therefore participates in the important issues," with Kubica out of the way Webber seems the most likely option. Of course, it's just that kind of thinking that leads people to jump to the wrong conclusion but this Javier Rubio appears to be known and respected, if not by us. I'm not going to champion it as a likelihood but I thought the story's currency provided enough of a reason to start the thread up.

11. genjigonzales

What about Buemi? It's true he isn't driving this year but he was taken in to the Red Bull environment almost protectively and his lack of a drive might make him amenable to a couple of years as a no. 2 driver.

12. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

What about Alguersuari, with his inside knowledge of Pirelli and James Allen?

13. genjigonzales

Would Red Bull consider inside knowledge of James Allen to be an advantage?

A seat in the RB9 would certainly appeal to any driver but I think he'd have issues to overcome first.

I didn't realise Massa had been over to Sao Paolo at the weekend to scope out the Indypalaver (what a dreadful race that was!). Autosport has now picked up on the Webber/Ferrari rumour:

It's also the lead story on the BBC's 'Rumour Mill' page.

14. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

Good point, he is, as you say their reserve driver this year, and right now I don't see anything Vergne's done that Buemi and Alguersuari couldn't have done, so those two losing their seats was a bit harsh.. Esp. Alguersuari who I thought had a real strong finish to the 2011 season.

15. genjigonzales

We should bear in mind that the option on Raikkonen's contract is on the driver's side, I believe. I can't see him wanting to go to Red Bull, Ferrari or McLaren if Lotus do well this season but there's always a possibility.

16. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The problem with future driver speculation is the amount of gossip that flies around. It makes it that much harder to find a source that isn't almost always wrong.

17. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

For me, the Red Bull seat (if vacated by Webber) will be for a designated No2 driver - that is the only way Vettle will extend his contract - multiple titles!
    I think Lewis will leave Mclaren at the end of the year and the only seat I can see would Merc or potentially the Lotus (I still think he has a love affair with following in Senna's footsteps)
    Massa is going to end up in a midfield team.

So:
    MCLAREN - Button & Webber/Kimi/Kubica
    MERC - Rosberg & Hammilton
    FERRARI - Alonso & Perez/Webber
    RED BULL - Vettle & Riccardo
    LOTUS - Grosjean & Kimi/Hammilton/Webber/Massa
    Sauber - Kobi & Perez/Massa
    Williams - as they are
    Toro Roso - As they are
    FI - As they are

18. genjigonzales

Thinking about it, this pretty much rules out a return to McLaren for Raikkonen - that and his negotiations with them at the end of 2009 resulting in stalemate over just how much bullshit they would expect him to do.

19. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Surely Hamilton will stay with a Mercedes powered outfit, why would he consider Ferrari as they are not capable of producing a decent car with their current technical line-up.

Webber on the other hand just might take a chance with Ferrari, as he,s on the way down the ladder and he could retire in a couple of years having given them a try. And Big Fat Crook Flabio has some influence around Italian quarters.

20. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In the grid at the top, are you only putting in drivers we're very certain will be with a team, or just anyone with a contract?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.