1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arteta could be the next Arsenal manager

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Mantis, May 15, 2018.

1. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Seems as if this is happening.

It's not the most glamorous appointment at face value. He has no experience at the highest level and we were really hoping for someone who could infuse some defensive solidity into the club. It seems as if it's a decision made with the idea of saving as much money as possibly and giving the board someone they can boss around, i.e. a yes man.

But he could be a shrewd appointment. He is still young, knows the club and will carry on the values instilled by Wenger. He could surprise a few people. He definitely knows and understands attacking football, having studied under one of the greatest managers of all time. Could be a smart move. Who knows.

luvgonzo likes this.
  2. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I was kind of looking forward to someone with more tactical nous, and a more balanced philosophy.

I’m concerned arteta is too attacking minded, and won’t fix any of our defensive problems.

3. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

No!

A lower table club I get, but not a club of Arsenal's stature.

4. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Not going to happen.

We appointed Sahlelli as DOF - which just shows Arsenal have committed to continuing along the Barca/Ajax style attacking football route.

5. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

Arteta is untested, if he becomes our next manager it will be very underwhelming. Why should it surprise me? It goes hand in hand with our transfer policy (mostly shambolical). They are more likely to choose a stooge, someone who will tow the line.

6. TheBear

I posted this in the other thread also..

Arteta and Nagelsmann are the most likely candidates and it may be a smarter move than many Arsenal fans currently realise.

When we appointed Raul Sahlelli as Director of Football it was clear that Arsenal were looking to..

1. Continue the 'footballing culture' at the Club.
    2. Guide whoever took over from Arsene.

On top of that we hired Minislat as 'head of recruitment'. He's not mearly a scout. The guy is in charge of who we sign at the Club. A job that previously belonged to the manager.

Soo essentially we are looking for a coach. The managers position at Arsenal has been shrunk down. No longer is he in charge of any financial or off the field matters and will have a limited influence when it comes to signings. Do you think Simeone or Allegri would want a position like this with soo little control?

It seems to me Arsenal have set themselves up to mould a young manager. It's an unorthodox approach but it could well be a very smart one.

-----------------------

Arteta may be young and inexperienced but he's worked as an assistant to one of the greatest managers in History. On top of that at Arsenal he would be working along side Raul Sahhelli who was DOF for the greatest Barca sides ever and Sven Minislat who is arguably the best scout we have seen in the modern era. When you look at it objectively it could be an incredible set up.

gooner4ever and straycat_67 like this.
  7. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

Surely Wenger would feel like this would be a "kick in his balls". Being replaced by a guy who never managed in his life. A player he coached very recently. Just feels a bit strange.

I was listening to Arseblog and they made a good point. That the next coach should have objectivity. Be able to say that this or that does not work. Arteta would manage players he played with. I am a wedding photographer and if I photograph people I know then it is very different from people I do NOT know. It is easier to work with people I do NOT know. You can be more direct and easier ask for something you want. Somehow that is more natural. I hope we get someone with more experience.

8. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I'm not qualified to manage Arsenal and I certainly am not qualified to pick the next Arsenal manager.

I don't really have too much of a preference, because any manager is going to seem like a bit of a gamble to us, who have been used to the "safe option" for 22 years!

Arteta and a "New" organization may be exactly what we need. I do feel Ancelotti would have been just another version of the "Safe" option, so maybe it is the time we cater to fans who like to gamble more. We all take our football pretty seriously, but this is not life or death, we can try this, and if it doesn't work, lives will not be lost. We can just try something else.

winifred122 likes this.
  9. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Brave move, but an exciting one. Give a young manager the opportunity to make his mark.

I remember Barcelona doing something similar. <whistle>

winifred122 likes this.
  10. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

Arsenal are taking a massive risk in my opinion.

11. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Not only is it a huge risk to give someone who has no experience of managing a team, but a club the size of Arsenal? There is also the little problem of him coming up against 5 of the best managers in world football. I like Arteta and i'm sure he's competent, but this could destroy him if things go tits up. Let him learn his trade and test the waters at a mid/lower table club so he can develop his philosophy. Even Pep managed Barca B for a few years before taking a huge job like Barca.

12. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Thought it was 1 season?

13. lazarus20000

You're right it was for 1 year, but that is 1 year more than 0 years. In my opinion, you have to at least see what a man can do when put under the strain of management. Being assistant to Pep and City is great, but it's not exactly doing it himself. Will he be able to take the pressure when he's up against some of the best around? The expectations from taking over from Wenger will be huge and fans will jump on him if results don't go his way. This is still a relatively new set up for Arsenal and it still needs time to bed in, plus it'll take a few years before the shadow of Wenger moves on...

14. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I think it's worth a shot, see if he's up to it.

winifred122 likes this.
  15. TheBear

Barca appointed Pep after only a years management - which was for the Barca B side. He won them the league three times, The Copa Del Ray twice and the Champions League twice.

Barca appointed Tito Vilanaova with NO managerial experience. He won the league in his first Season.(then had to retire due to poor health)

Barca appointed Luis Enrique after two unsuccessful short stints at Celta Vigo and Roma. He won them Two League titles, 3 Copa De Ray's and a Champions League trophy in just three years.

All three of these guys had very little experience and where appointed by and guided by Raul Sahlelli.

16. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

They were also given the best team on Earth, in a piss poor league and an unlimited transfer budget <ok>
    Don't think Arteta will get the same

lazarus20000 likes this.
  17. lazarus20000

You make a point about Raul and i'm sure it'll help. But as Bodanki points out, they inherited great players, with a huge budget in a less competitive league. I hope he hits the ground running and does well, but the PL is a very tough league now, the hardest it's ever been. If Wenger struggled, and i'm sure if he managing a few years ago we would have finished in the top 4, then Arteta will find it very tough going.

Don't get me wrong, change is good and the new appointments are a great step in the right direction, but are we doing too much too quickly? We've been going through a fair few years of negativity with the club, and in my opinion, some stability would have been better - fix the on field issues and settle the fans.

Either way we are in store for some very exciting times, whether that is Arteta or someone else.

18. omogooner

Why would you not like Arteta... As Liverpool fan you would be ecstatic at the prospect of a rookie taking over, so would all our rivals! Arsenal needed to make a statement after the debacle of the past few years, it will be a missed opportunity imho if we were to sign Arteta. He is taking over a club in a bit of diosarray and on the side, not even close to when Liverpool signed Brendan.

19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I think he might surprise you, he's quite a clever bloke and will have a clear way that he wants the team to perform. It's a risk but it may well work.

20. omogooner

At the end of the day, it is the club's decision. If they decide to employ Arteta, then so be it. He has to be given a chance. However, Arteta will come in and toe the line and work with what he has without moaning. I can imagine, not many top managers will want to come and manage Arsenal if the rumors are to be believed about the size of the transfer budget! If he takes up, I really feel for him, as he would be coming a very hostile and impatient fan base, I doubt if fans will have the patience and give him a chance.