1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsene Wenger to leave at the end of the Season. (Official)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TheBear, Apr 20, 2018.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

LONDON, April 20 - Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will leave the club at the end of season, the Frenchman said in a statement issued by the Premier League club on Friday.

"After careful consideration and following discussions with the club, I feel it is the right time for me to step down at the end of the season," he said. (Reuters)

The BBC have also confirmed the reports.

“I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years. I want to thank the staff, the players, the Directors and the fans who make this club so special. I urge our fans to stand behind the team to finish on a high." - Arsène Wenger.

I really hope he can go out on a high now. Win the Europa league and retire. Also I wonder if this means Arsenal have some kind of replacement in place.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  2. TheBear

"I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years.

I managed the club with full commitment and integrity.

I want to thank the staff, the players, the Directors and the fans who make this club so special.

I urge our fans to stand behind the team to finish on a high.

To all the Arsenal lovers take care of the values of the club.

My love and support forever." Arsene Wenger

please log in to view this image
    please log in to view this image

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  3. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

Majority owner Stan Kroenke said: “This is one of the most difficult days we have ever had in all our years in sport. One of the main reasons we got involved with Arsenal was because of what Arsène has brought to the club on and off the pitch. His longevity and consistency over such a sustained period at the highest level of the game will never be matched.

“Arsène has unparalleled class and we will always be grateful to him. Everyone who loves Arsenal and everyone who loves football owes him a debt of gratitude. Three Premier League titles, including an entire season unbeaten, seven FA Cup triumphs and 20 successive years in the Champions League is an exceptional record. He has also transformed the identity of our club and of English football with his vision for how the game can be played.

“We have high ambitions to build on Arsène’s remarkable tenure and to honour his vision by ensuring that Arsenal competes for and wins the biggest and most important prizes in the game.

“We must now focus on making a strong finish to the season and ask our millions of fans around the world to join us in paying appropriate tribute to one of the greats of Arsenal’s history and one of the greats of the game.”

------------

Arsène will lead the team to the end of the season and we will make an appointment as soon as possible. The club will not be making any further comment on the selection process until an appointment is made.

Read more at https://www.arsenal.com/news/merci-arsene#dj014l1yByGehwD4.99
    Read more at https://www.arsenal.com/news/merci-arsene#wdSBsg0qA6dslGdX.99

TheBear likes this.
  4. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Can't believe he's finally done it. Whether or not he made the decision himself or was pushed, it was the right thing to do. Staying on another season would have attracted further fan backlash and tarnished his legacy.

Now i have the opportunity to finally say bye to him and think of more fond memories, which there are plenty in his first half of his tenure with us.

Good luck and so long to an Arsenal legend.

5. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

Well, many of you have got what you wanted. Now you must appoint well.

But some achievement by Rafa, that losing to us was the straw that broke the camel's back

6. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I knew they had pulled the trigger. I figured that if he had lost my support there wasn't many after me.

And I'll tell you, that they have already got someone. Signed and sealed. No way they kick Wenger without having someone solid signed up.

7. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

LoL Funny! But no, I think they decided a month ago. I think they announced it now because they found someone.

Consett Mag likes this.
  8. Tiddler

Tiddler Hoshu-tekina

I'm hoping we get Joachim Loew. About time he took full time employment too.

9. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

He gets mentioned every time Wenger's future comes up, no idea what his club record was like before Germany though

10. TheBear

Yeah he could be a good option. Hard to know though the guy hasn't been in Club football for a long time.

11. TheBear

With the recent appointments of Sanhelli and Minislat I think its quite likely we will sign a young inexperienced manager.

The foundation is there in place to guide whoever comes in.

They may go for someone like Anchelotti on a short term basis - but I could also see a Tuchel or even an Arteta as a real long term appointment.

12. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I think stability is key here, which means experienced rather than going for a high risk young inexperienced manager. Wenger leaving will have a big impact on the club and the last thing you want is putting huge amounts of pressure on a newbie. There are still a few things to fix and an experienced hand will be able to identify our shortcoming. Unless he's another Poch level man, the guy will seriously be up against it. Pep, Klopp, Mourinho, Conte and Poch will be very hard to go up against. Throw any of these guys at any other PL time and they would win the league (well three already winning it!).