1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsene Wenger: I won't work under director of football at Arsenal

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, May 10, 2017.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...director-of-football-at-arsenal-a3534301.html

Arsene Wenger today dismissed the possibility of working under a director of football at Arsenal.

The Gunners are keen to create the position regardless of whether Wenger signs a new deal to stay next season and have begun sounding out potential candidates.

Ajax technical director and former Gunners winger Marc Overmars, Arsenal’s head of international recruitment Francis Cagigao and Borussia Dortmund’s director of football Michael Zorc are among those thought to be under consideration.

Chief executive Ivan Gazidis is believed to be keen to restructure the club this summer after a disappointing season in which Arsenal have again failed to mount a serious challenge for the Premier League or Champions League.

He described the recent downturn in form as a “catalyst for change”, a statement Wenger subsequently admitted he did not fully understand.

Wenger’s relationship with Gazidis is understood to have become strained as the Frenchman continues to deliberate over his future but this morning he made it clear there would be no compromise in authority should he extend his 21-year stay in north London.

Asked by Standard Sport whether it was his understanding a director of football would be appointed, Wenger replied: “No. I don’t know what ‘director of football’ means. Is it somebody who stands in the road and directs play right and left? I don’t understand and I never did understand what it means.

“Sorry, no. I’m not prepared to talk about that. I’m the manager of Arsenal Football Club and as long as I’m manager of Arsenal Football Club, I will decide what happens on the technical front. That’s it.”

Wenger’s strong stance will be viewed as a show of strength as the debate over the club’s future direction continues behind the scenes.

Gazidis is believed to be keen for the club’s transfer negotiator, Dick Law, to step down in the coming months but he is a close ally of Wenger’s and the trio held a meeting last week at which summer transfer targets were discussed.

A bit worrying there, he doesn't seem too keen on sharing power, but for once i am with Gazidis, this is a long time overdue. We've needed someone to take charge of our transfer business etc.

2. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

No one has the balls to call time on Wenger or go against him

3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Im not sure about that Wenger is hardly a scary authoritative figure. I can imagine that being the case with someone as intense as Ferguson but not Wenger.

Arsenal are simply content with what we have been doing. As long as we are making money, playing in the Champions League and selling out the stadium they seem content. IMO Wenger receives little to no pressure from above which is a big part of the problem.

4. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Be careful what you wish for. We were turned into a circus by two "highly-rated" directors of football in Commolli and Baldini - both of whom pissed millions up a wall on bilge.

If there is tension between the DOF and the coaching staff (as there was between Commolli and Martin Jol), you have a recipe for disaster.

Without a shadow of a doubt the DOF is an unnecessary risk. Key to success in the modern era is:
    1) Healthy relationship between manager and chairman
    2) Manager who surrounds himself with the right people not just yes-men
    3) A strong scouting network
    4) A strong academy set up with youth team managers working closely with the senior manager to ensure a holistic approach to training and tactics

Looking at your club from a safe distance, you currently have none of the above. A DOF could potentially save the forest by napalming the trees.

5. TheBear

If your Bosses tell say 'You are doing a great job', keep giving you payrises and allow you total freedom to do your job - why would you want to leave or even change a thing?

6. lazarus20000

That is the issue and has been for quite some time. Others haven't been doing or allowed to do those jobs. Wenger has been covering too many bases and when that happens it is a recipe for disaster. As already said, the people above Wenger were content with things and allowed it to get to this situation.

7. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Lucas Perez is case in point. Wenger would rather play an underperforming Giroud. Obviously not signed by Wenger. Gazidis is just there for show. Wenger runs the whole shop

8. TheBear

I just think Gazidis is an ineffectual wimp.

We just need someone willing to stamp their authority on things. Would love to get David Dein back.

PINKIE likes this.
  9. lazarus20000

To be honest, any CEO would have a tough time trying to make changes with our current setup. You have Wenger that has near total control and an out of touch Board and invisible major shareholder happy with what Wenger is doing as he has the money rolling in. Only this season has really shown up the current setup for what it is, it's just sad it took this long to happen. But its the first three (CEO including) that have let the problem drag on to where it has. No one has dared to question Wenger, he after all is the employee and they are the employers. It's the wrong way to run a club or business.