1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsene Wenger: Arsenal manager agrees two-year contract

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, May 30, 2017.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40073103

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has agreed a new two-year contract, extending his 21-year reign at the club.

Wenger and club owner Stan Kroenke met on Monday to determine the Frenchman's future, with the decision relayed to directors at a Tuesday board meeting.

Arsenal are planning to make an official announcement on Wednesday.

2. Style

Style 'where is the love'

3. lazarus20000

Hardly a surprise and as everyone thought, they were picking the right time to announce it. I hope this years summer transfer window is good otherwise we will get a lot of problems on the field and off it!

4. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Well all I can say is

<party>

SpursDisciple likes this.
  5. lazarus20000

Don't celebrate yet, you don't know how bad you'll be at Wembley...

6. Citizen Kane

What has one got to do with the other?!

We could be cack at Wembley even with Allegri at the helm of Arsenal, so what exactly is your point?

Bottom line is, Arsene signing a new contract means that we have one less rival to worry about taking advantage of our cackness at Wembley <ok>

7. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Worst kept secret in football, I doubt anyone is really surprised?

8. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

In peace, but seems like an odd move, this, at best.

FA Cup gave everyone a chance to go out relatively well - with all due respect it's going to be even harder next season to get back in the CL, because with Europa League you don't benefit from a load less matches. The squad needs quite a bit of help and as well as fan discontent I can't see Sanchez and Ozil sticking around to not play in the CL.

I mean, it's all relative and having a slightly archaic manager yet winning the FA Cup is the kind of "problem" a Geordie would LOVE to have!!!

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Hardly a surprise to be honest, think everyone was expecting it.

Poor decision though, the FA Cup doesn't paper over the cracks that much!

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

On the plus side, plane/banner companies will love this news <ok>

11. lazarus20000

The Board or Management didn't have any contingency plans other than Wenger signing on for another 2 years. It's annoying that they had to carry on with this silly charade. Kroenke had no other plan but to offer Wenger that deal, so i can't understand how this was breaking news.

As i said, next year could be even more uncomfortable should Arsenal not have a very good summer transfer window. Next season will be even harder, that is a guarantee. City have already brought in very good reinforcements and will buy further. United are chasing their targets, which look to be big names, same with Chelsea. Arsenal need some big hitters to be able to compete.

BrunelGooner and Libby like this.
  12. lazarus20000

I can't argue with that. Wenger isn't any closer to challenging for the title and won't be next season, unless Arsenal decide to have a proper blow out in Summer. I won't hold my breath.

Citizen Kane likes this.
  13. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

Gonna be difficult getting the real big hitters in with no CL football.

14. Citizen Kane

This must be the most annoying part of the whole thing. The 'will-he-wont-he' pantomime that clouded your season from February onwards and turned into a major factor behind missing out on the top 4. Bottom line is, this sequence of events suggests that the plan was always for him to sign the contract. The fact that it was even on the table in the first place despite a decade of stagnation is proof enough of how your board approached the whole thing. They just needed a silver lining to take the edge off of a toxic campaign, so kept delaying the announcement incrementally with Wenger doing his whole Vaudeville routine every time he sat down with the press. When top 4 failed to provide that sheen, it was left to the FA cup to do so. As I've said many times this season, you lot are regularly treated as utter mugs.

15. lazarus20000

You can't get the big hitters if you're not in to get them. I doubt our current summer transfer window will deviate from all the other ones, be prepared for yet another excruciatingly drawn out one. Also expect the FA Cup win to somehow justify him signing another contract/not buying much in the window.

16. lazarus20000

I love the way they added Kroenke and Wenger having talks about his future, like anything other than Wenger signing a 2 year contract was on the cards. Wenger is and was the only candidate for Kroenke. He provides the stability that will help roll in the cash. The FA Cup win had no bearing on this decision, other than helping to make the announcement more palatable.

I have a feeling that we will get more of the same pantomime stuff next season, which is ruining my club.

pieguts likes this.
  17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

You mean a rival who won a trophy whilst you ended empty handed again ?

It's good to see you writing Arsenal off again though. Better hope the league doesn't revert to type and we finish above you again next season eh ?

Sign Da Ting and winifred122 like this.
  18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I see a lot of people telling us how bad this is. The fact is that without somebody like Allegri or Simeone lined up, it was the right decision to take.
    The alternative was either Steve Bould in charge or a merry go round of managers like Utd and LIverpool have done.
    A lot depends on this summer and whether we can keep Sanchez and Ozil, but there were some tangible positives towards the end of the season.
    Winning 9 out of 10 since we changed to 3-4-3 was a massive improvement to the whole team, and they were rewarded with an FA cup win, beating City and Chelsea in the process. Let's hope we can build on this for the new season ahead.

19. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm happy with the news, but I think we all knew this was going to happen. Another two years of not competing for the title and mid-season capitulations it is, then!

I just hope to God he can actually make some good signings that help us challenge for the big trophies and that he doesn't continue dithering on transfers. Hopefully, he can also rally his players to perform under pressure as well.

I'm not holding my breath for any of this happening, but one can only dream that he has a change of heart...

Sign Da Ting and lazarus20000 like this.
  20. lazarus20000

I think we all know what to expect in the league, but at least have a good summer transfer window and TRY and make a fist of it. I don't want to hear the usual bullshit excuses of we can't find the quality, or we have the quality. Just bloody look for the players NOW and get them!

PINKIE likes this.