1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsene Wenger: Arsenal boss 'called referee Mike Dean a disgrace'

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Jan 16, 2018.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42710579

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger called referee Mike Dean "not honest" and "a disgrace" after the Gunners' 1-1 draw at West Brom on New Year's Eve, the Football Association has revealed.

Wenger entered the officials' changing room and confronted Dean, according to a disciplinary panel's reasons for the manager's three-match touchline ban.

The referee said Wenger was "very aggressive".

Written testimony from Dean, his assistant referees and the fourth official are contained in the report and give similar accounts of the row.

Dean said: "As we've entered the dressing room after the game Mr Wenger stood behind us in the doorway and told the West Brom steward to 'let him in'.

"He was very aggressive leaning towards me, pointing aggressively at me saying: 'You're not honest' on numerous occasions.

"I replied: 'So you're calling me a cheat.' He replied: 'I maintain what I say, you're not honest.'

"He then said: 'You've done this to us many times before, you're supposed to be professional, you're a disgrace.' He was then ushered out of the room by the West Brom safety officer."

An independent disciplinary panel on 5 January gave Wenger a three-game touchline ban and £40,000 fine for the incident but the panel's written reasons were only published on Tuesday.

Wenger had admitted "his language and behaviour was abusive, improper and questioned the integrity" of Dean.

Is he losing it? It's not something you'd expect from him or someone of his age and experience.

2. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

It's exactly what the fans have been saying about Dean for ages. Pleased he said what he did as Dean consistently ****s us over. If as fans he winds us up imagine being the manager and it having an effect on your results and job...

winifred122 likes this.
  3. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

But yes it may well be a sign of the pressure starting to show given you wouldn't normally expect him to react like that unless he is on the touch line with Mourinho!

4. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Mike Dean. Surely one of the very few people in the premier league as poor at his job as Wenger.

Everything Wenger said was true so what exactly are the FA expecting a fine to do? Alter reality? It's not going to bring about any added respect to referees when referees are defended when they perform as shockingly as they regularly do.

The fa are as out of touch with football as Wenger is. Time to bring these regimes to a humane end.

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Everything Wenger said is true. And I doubt it's the worst thing that's ever been said to a ref behind closed doors, so no I don't think it's a sign of him losing it at all .

afcftw likes this.
  6. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

"You've done this to us many times before"
    why Arsenal fans agree with AW on that?!!
    do you seriously think Dean is anti Arsenal ?!!
    refs make mistakes all time .. is never intentional ..
    is easy to blame poor refs all the time.. at the end they are the easy target for any failure
    didn't Dean some months ago gave u a freekick when spurs def get the ball to matter case worst you scored from that freekick as Mustafi was offside?

7. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Arsenals win % is significantly lower than normal with Dean as ref if I remember rightly. And anyone who watches us regularly knows we are in for **** decisions when he is ref of our games. Whether it is anti-Arsenal or just him being ****, what Wenger has said is correct.

Shwan71 and gooner4ever like this.
  8. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

No evidence that he is anti Arsenal than Kevin Friend or Mike Jones being pro-Arsenal

9. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

There is plenty of evidence. Our record with him as ref is appalling. At one point we went 11 games without a win when he was in charge. And that was when we were finishing top 4 regularly.

10. PowerSpurs

Yes but under Friend and Jones you do much better than average. Are they cheating in your favour?

Shwan71 likes this.

11. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

man that happens .. is just a random thing ... am sure we can find another referee who award you more than other clubs .. is just random
    Wenger didn't said he is bad referee.. he said he is all time doing it against us .. which mean it is deliberate
    are you seriously thinking Dean is anti-Arsenal and he do it deliberately ? comn man !!!
    Refs make mistakes like strikers do miss chances ... if stats shows he missed more facing certain club ... it dosen't mean the striker is doing it deliberately !! same for refs
    I think fans and manager should man up and stop whining about refs .. poor refs are easy target ... a distraction from the main reason for a bad day on the pitch.. I can't believe Arsenal fans are falling for it tbh.
    the people you need to blame are:
    - the team : are not doing enough
    - Manager : stubborn who lost the plot since years
    - Board: just pocketing profits and care less about fan's opinion
    - Fans who just whine but still buying shirts & go to matches .. or worst those who were Wenger-in after 12 years of trophyless run.

those are people you need definitely to blame not the ref

12. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

For a start Dean had ref's FAR more games for Arsenal than either Friend or Jones and therefore the statistical evidence has more significance.

Soo aside from statistical evidence you want more convincing?

Ok...

Not enough... How about...

He's clearly a Spurs fan. The fans have been convinced of it for years.

13. PowerSpurs

Dean has also refereed a lot more of your top six games than the average. If you have data showing that the bias is statistically significant then I’m sure you will post it. If he is a Spurs fan why did he make up a foul on Sanchez by Sanchez in the NLD. He clearly indicated that the foul was for shirt pulling which didn’t happen.
    I hate it when he refs our games because he is totally incompetent. Your videos are laughable.

14. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that Spurs thing myself. But just couple that incompetence that you acknowledge, with the fact that he really doesn't like us because of all our run ins in the past, and you can imagine how bad it is for us, when we see he is going to be the ref. And the point is, why ever he does it, is that he never really fails to piss us off.

And the amazing thing is that even the die hard Wenger haters are not criticizing him for calling Dean a disgrace. That speaks volumes.

15. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

The Spurs one he was clearly celebrating his own decision to play the advantage and that's why he's a **** ref, he loves being centre of attention

16. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Maybe but gooners were saying he was a Spurs fan for years - then this happened.

He could just be a terrible ref - he could have some bias going on. Either way I dont want him reffing our games.

17. PowerSpurs

I don’t want him reffing our games either.

18. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

I would have called him a biased **** if I was manager - at least get my £40k fine worth

lazarus20000, winifred122 and PINKIE like this.