1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs Newcastle United - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, Jan 1, 2023.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Venue: Emirates Stadium
    KO time: 19:45 GMT
    Date: Tuesday January 3rd 2023

Last six meetings

Newcastle United 2-0 Arsenal
    Arsenal 2-0 Newcastle United
    Newcastle United 0-2 Arsenal
    Arsenal 2-0 Newcastle United (FA Cup)
    Arsenal 3-0 Newcastle United
    Newcastle United 0-1 Arsenal

Overall Record

Wins: 83
    Losses: 68
    Draws: 38

2. Dr Van Helsing

Dr Van Helsing Well-Known Member

3. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

4. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Not feeling confident but then again I said that for the Liverpool and Spurs games this Season.

Strong line-up, shame Smith Rowe is'nt back in the squad yet.

5. Dr Van Helsing

6. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

HT. 0-0.

Newcastle have defended very well and have doubled up on Martinelli/Saka, whilst anticipating the positions of our players to intercept/cut out passes, so they’ve been extremely well organised.

What is pissing me off is their tactical fouling that Andy Madley has somehow decided isn’t worthy of any bookings, yet is booking all of our players for tactical fouls. No consistency. He’s not as bad as the referee we had for the Southampton away game, but he’s not far off.

Burn should have been booked on at least 3 different instances.

Anyway, the game is very scrappy and disjointed, which is what Newcastle would have wanted. Need to make sure we don’t lose our heads and carry on as we’ve done in other games.

7. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

No penalty for Burn clearly pulling Gabriel’s shirt in the box? VAR officials snoozing again, I take it?

straycat_67 likes this.
  8. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Some of these players look exhausted, Arteta needs to make a few changes.

9. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Just don’t see us scoring. We haven’t created much and haven’t taken many shots, struggled to penetrate in central areas because they’ve been very compact, and our final pass just hasn’t been there. We need a Giroud type presence in the box to cause chaos but we unfortunately have very limited attacking options on the bench.

10. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Saint-Maximin coming on for the final few minutes is not what I want to see.

11. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

As much as I hate their time-wasting antics, I have to credit Newcastle’s structure and organisation. They’ve kept us at bay.

12. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

FT. 0-0.

Annoying. We piled on the pressure in the last 10 minutes, but didn't do enough over the course of the 90 minutes to win the game. I wish we'd showed that urgency throughout the entire game. Newcastle were extremely well structured and although they didn't contribute much in an attacking sense, they limited us to very few chances. This is where our lack of options off the bench makes me doubt our capability to mount a serious title charge. We had no game changers.

The penalty shout right at the end was 50-50 IMO, but the Burn pull on Gabriel was blatant and it was shocking incompetence that it wasn't given.

Andy Madley should be demoted, frankly, as he totally lost control of the game and allowed Newcastle's antics and fouls to frequently go unpunished. But he won't be demoted. Nothing will happen because these officials are protected irrespective of what they do.

straycat_67 and gooner4ever like this.
  13. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Positives:

Although I felt we needed to win this, and we didn't, it was also critical to not lose. Newcastle have the best defensive record in the division, they've kept 6 clean sheets in a row now and have gotten results against City, Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd. They're 3rd in the division for a reason.

Saka and Saliba also didn't get booked, meaning they're not suspended for the Spurs game, so that's also a plus.

Thought Eddie led the line quite well considering the limited service and was unlucky with that chance in the 88th minute.

14. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

They are about as anti football as you can get though. Up there with the very worst of Mourinho's teams. Absolute yawn fest when they play any team remotely good. Horrible snidey fouls, snidey time wasting. Not really the neutral's second team anymore. Glad they drop below United when they choose to play like that. At least United try to always play good football.

gooner4ever likes this.
  15. Dr Van Helsing

Yet your boys were fouling and crying their eyes out for 90 mins.

You didn't deserve to win because you were not good enough to score past the best defence in the league....

The ref set the tone blowing his whistle every 5 seconds... BTW we got booked 1st ..

Good luck for the season.

IdleSaneBrownbutterfly-max-1mb.gif

16. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

What do you expect them to do though? They’ve got a group of players that they predominantly had under Bruce and if they went toe-to-toe with us, it would have been like lambs to the slaughter.

A lot of their points have been through having a solid defence, relying on width/crosses into the box and fast counterattacks.

Like I said, there’s a reason why they’re 3rd in the division at the moment. It’s no fluke.

17. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Erm...I think you have this the wrong way around. Your players were tactically fouling and breaking up the game any time we attacked. Taking your sweet time over throw-ins, goal-kicks etc. I'm not blaming you for doing it, because you're not at a level where you can match us stylistically, but at least be honest about your players' performance.

18. Dr Van Helsing

You had 5 yellows in the 1st half... like i say blame the ref and your players tbh because you created **** all.

Joelinton had the best chance in the game our defence is the best in the league and credit to our lads.

Good luck for the season

See you at our place we'll see what happens then

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  19. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

I’m not disputing that but again, part of the reason we were unable to create was because you were making a variety of fouls, halting our momentum any time we got into the final 3rd and disrupting the flow of the game. Your players weren’t being booked as the game went on, which allowed them to carry on doing it.

Lots of away sides do this when they come up against technically superior teams, so like I said, I’m not begrudging you for doing it.

I’m not confident of getting a result at your ground, hence why I wanted us to win tonight to give us an extra buffer, but let’s see.

20. Mick O'Toon

Mick O'Toon Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20230103_220459_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Lol