1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs Manchester United - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, Jan 19, 2023.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Venue: Emirates Stadium
    Date: Sunday 22nd January 2023
    KO time: 16:30 GMT

Overall Record

Wins: 86
    Losses: 101
    Draws: 50

Last six meetings

Manchester United 3-1 Arsenal
    Arsenal 3-1 Manchester United
    Manchester United 3-2 Arsenal
    Arsenal 0-0 Manchester United
    Manchester United 0-1 Arsenal
    Arsenal 2-0 Manchester United

2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I expect it to be a good game. You guise have to be confident, you're playing really well tbf.

No Casemiro is a big blow for us. I'd take a point right now tbh.

BrunelGunner and Diego like this.
  3. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years, it’s to never underestimate Man Utd even when they don’t seem as strong.

Still remember when you beat us 3-2 at OT with a bunch of kids in 2016 when I was utterly convinced we’d win. That was a nasty surprise.

Granted, this is a different Arsenal team and we do seem more ‘complete’ in terms of identity, style of play, team cohesion etc. However, Ten Hag is a top manager and you still have some very dangerous players.

I think we are under more pressure to win this than you, but it depends on whether we can rise to the occasion and get the job done. The longer we stay at the top, the more the pressure will crank up as a lot of people still expect City to surge past us.

Our last home game didn’t go to plan against Newcastle (in terms of the result). So if you set up to frustrate us and hit us on the counter, there are gaps to be exposed.

Let’s see.

Treble likes this.
  4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The problem for us isn't just this game, but the run of games after. 2 legs of a league cup semi final, the FA Cup AND 2 legs of the Europy against Barca. It's a nice problem don't get me wrong but still demanding.

So for me, it's about getting the points and securing top 4. Hence why I was more interested in winning the game against Palace, because worst case scenario 3 pts from two games is better than 2 draws which imo we'll do well to get now. So even if the pressure on us isnt as great, we still drop points.

I think the match itself will be a good one. If we can frustrate you for the first 30 mins and stop you from scoring we have a chance of getting something from the game.

BrunelGunner likes this.
  5. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

Stunning team perfomance today, when we were under pressure we stood tall and kept on going!

Shout out's to Saka, Nketiah...no **** it..shout out to the whole team today! COYG

TheBear and Diego like this.
  6. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

This team just keep proving me wrong. And I am here for it. I know it’s only 19 games but what an incredible first half of the season - 50 points, our best ever tally in history in the opening 19 matches of any season.

Thought we’d drop points today and after that first half, with several players performing suboptimally, I thought we’d draw.

And despite being pegged back twice, we still had the mental fortitude to get back in and win the match. We totally dominated the second half too and were forcing them back. Teams find it hard to cope with our sustained pressure.

Mentality monsters <ok> what a team we have. Proud to be an Arsenal fan right now.

straycat_67 likes this.
  7. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Also shoutout to Eddie Nketiah who has proven a lot of critics - including myself - wrong. He’s been superb since Jesus has been out. Will be hard for Jesus to get back in!

8. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Pegged back once <whistle>

A fully deserved win for you. Good game as well.

straycat_67, BrunelGunner and Diego like this.
  9. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I haven't really posted much on here recently though i do read your board every day like all the other boards.

Now i feel it's only fair to say well done to your team and manager, they are playing a class of football way beyond most others and are really worth watching every time they play.

I hope you can continue this way and win the league ahead of City, next year i would like to think ETH will have us in a position to compete with you like the old days.

TheBear, straycat_67 and BrunelGunner like this.
  10. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

This board used to be a lot busier a few years ago, it’s a shame a lot of posters aren’t active on here anymore. They’d be loving this current Arsenal side.

TheBear, straycat_67 and Diego like this.

11. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yeah i used to post a fair bit back then.
    Always like your club because i think they do things the right way and in the main the supporters are level headed and don't see ref conspiracies everywhere.

BrunelGunner likes this.
  12. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

You must not use Twitter that much then! <laugh>
    There are a number of Arsenal fans who do believe in a ref conspiracy online, but to be fair, the online community doesn't always represent the average match-going supporter.

One thing which has noticeably improved at the club is the atmosphere for home games. So much louder and energetic than it used to be. It's certainly a more intimidating stadium to come to than previously.

Diego likes this.
  13. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Great result, Great performance..Zinchenko was superb I thought. If we beat City next we can potentially go 11 points clear.

Also begs the question... first team to hit 100 points?:emoticon-0142-happy

14. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

Trying to stay super grounded, however our February/March fixture list doesnt look too bad if we play to our same standard and intensity.

Okay we might drop points against Man City and maybe one other, but no reason we can't get near full points against the rest.

Going to stick my neck out and predict 20pts from the available 24pts. That would put us on 70pts with 11 games remaining, subject to keeping a 5-8pt gap between us and City, some inner excitement might commence.

Sat 04/02 12:30
    Everton Away WIN
    Sat 11/02 15:00
    Brentford Home WIN
    Wed 15/02 19:30
    Man City Home DRAW
    Sat 18/02 12:30
    Aston Villa Away WIN
    Sat 25/02 15:00
    Leicester Away WIN
    Sat 04/03 15:00
    Bournemouth Home WIN