1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs Everton - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGunner, May 21, 2022.

1. BrunelGunner

BrunelGunner Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Venue: Emirates Stadium
    KO time: 16:00 GMT
    Date: Sunday 22nd May 2022

Overall Record

Wins: 108
    Losses: 64
    Draws: 46

Last six meetings

Everton 2-1 Arsenal
    Arsenal 0-1 Everton
    Everton 2-1 Arsenal
    Arsenal 3-2 Everton
    Everton 0-0 Arsenal
    Everton 1-0 Arsenal

2. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

It would be nice to finish on a high. This is a must-win game as you never know what levels of spursiness that lot up the road are capable of, but smart money says what we do in this game won't matter much in the long run, and Sp*rs will win quite comfortably at Norwich. Expect some changes. Saka has been quiet in recent weeks, Nketiah has looked wholly ineffective and we could be seeing the last of Lacazette in an Arsenal shirt. I don't know what other options we have up front. Our record against Everton in the last 6 games is terrible and we should try and rectify that if we can.

3. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Yeah, generally, we tend to do well against Everton, but our last 6 games have been dire. 4 losses, 1 draw and only 1 win. Need to correct that.

Like you say, I'm not expecting Norwich to put up much of a fight at all, they are atrocious and tbh, Spurs GD is vastly superior to ours, meaning they only need a draw against Norwich to secure 4th really.

I have to be honest and say I've mentally checked out for the season already. Just hoping that we have a productive Summer, get players in early and get what we need to put us in good stead for the season coming. A lot of the goodwill Arteta's built up is in danger of rapidly spiralling downhill if we don't.

4. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Relying on Norwich to win to get a Champions league spot <laugh>

I hope we do you a favour today but I don't think it's very likely

BrunelGunner likes this.
  5. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

1% chance, 99% faith <laugh>

Honestly though, I’m not expecting anything from you against Spurs. We ****ed top-4 up for ourselves. It is what it is.

6. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Last time I checked it was 8/1 Norwich win & I'm a sucker for a mug bet .

It would be hilarious is Spuds choke though.

RRich likes this.
  7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Top 4 was gone six days ago. Looks like at least we'll close the season putting on a show at home. Buy some players, get some rest. Top 4 and europa glory next year please.

BrunelGunner likes this.
  8. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

HT. 2-1.

Unsure how we’ve only scored 2 goals, as we’ve completely wiped the floor with Everton and then we totally switched off for their goal in added time of the first half. 10 consecutive games without a clean sheet.

Spurs are 2-0 up at Norwich, so it doesn’t really matter if we do bottle it from here, but would be nice to end the season on a high at least.

9. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

Arsenal 4-1 up now, goals from Cedric and Gabriel. It’s not gonna mean much in the grand scheme of things, but hey ho. At least we can put on a bit of a spectacle for the fans in the stadium.

Like I said before, I’d already mentally checked out of the season after the Newcastle result, so I feel quite emotionless watching this.

10. BrunelGunner

Forum Moderator

FT. 5-1.

Good performance and result, but we pretty much knew it changed nothing as soon as Spurs went 1-0 up. 5th is where we finish and we will be in the Europa League, alongside Manchester United.

Everton played like they were drunk for most of the match. It was probably to be expected, though, given their escapades on Thursday night.

With Nketiah, it's still up in the air regarding his contract situation, but I think it's likely that's the last time we see Lacazette in an Arsenal shirt. And whilst he's produced some memorable moments, he simply didn't live up to the price tag based on what we expected of him. He'll always be a bit of a cult hero, but he was not a successful signing IMO. Shame it didn't work out how we both wanted.

Now we know where we stand for next season, we need to plan and act quickly. Get players in, get rid of players we don't want and start prepping for the season ahead.

5th isn't a disaster, however, it does suck to lose out on CL football to them lot down the road. Particularly when we were in control of our own destiny for so long.

As Cini said though, let's make sure we aim to get into the top-4 next season and try to win the Europa.

On we go...