1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Arrivals / Departures lounges, Summer 2023.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

People seem to be mystified by the fact that Max is still a Norwich City player. Is there really any mystery? Isn't the explanation really quite obvious -- he's simply not as good as the hype surrounding him makes out. Great for us, but for any team at our level or above looking for a right back, there have been plenty of better options around. If that hadn't been the case, he would have gone.

NorthCityCanary likes this.
  2. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Can you quote a few posts of people being mystified that Aarons is still a Norwich player ?

Thanks in advance

3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

How's the Burnley MDT coming along?
    We're ready whenever you are ;) <ok>

RiverEndRick likes this.
  4. DUNCAN DONUTS

I'm using @SuffolkCanary's day before kick off superstition

SuffolkCanary and RiverEndRick like this.
  5. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fair enough.
    But that leaves no time for suspenjury news,
    updates from the presser and pundits predictions, etc. :emoticon-0112-wonde

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  6. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

His height is one disadvantage, as teams look for taller FBs these days, as we've seen with opposing strikers targeting Max for long ball headers. In spite of that I'm still glad he hasn't left because, as you say he's "great for us".

7. DUNCAN DONUTS

Idah extends contract to 2028

8. Robbie BB

He's too busy replying to me. I'd better give it a break or there won't be a Burnley MDT.

9. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

Now this one DOES mystify me.

10. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

11. DUNCAN DONUTS

You seem to come up with nonsensical statements on a regular basis after the event to try & paint yourself as correct, when no such conversation took place.

Example

"Many posters on here are perplexed that Grant Hanley was not sold in the transfer window, have they not considered that nobody was interested in signing him ? ".

I believe that's called a straw man .

12. DUNCAN DONUTS

13. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Really? As with Aarons, he’s by no means the finished article and may never get there, but I think he’s got huge promise. Not in the sense of could become world’s most valuable player, but in the sense of solid mid-level Premier League player (with a big IF he lives up to it).

14. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Ha. Yes, Robbie does love trying to be “controversial” and not realising that it’s just irrational, then becomes frustrating when he doubles down on it without any new rationale.

With Aarons I think it’s the age old debate of “promise”. He’s definitely got promise, people can play devil’s advocate on that but a player doesn’t get the press attention he has and the rumours swirling around without genuine promise. And we’re not stupid, we can see he has had games where he is exceptional.

However, he (like others in the squad and the fans) clearly suffered for the misfortunes in the Smith era. Whether that means his promise has lessened (possible) or it is just a temporary blip (hopefully) we won’t truly know. He might get horribly injured and we never truly know. That happens.

But I am not surprised that Aarons has not gone this window at all because, like house prices right now: buyers will consider his performance recently doesn’t justify an enormous price, and we as sellers do not need to offload him and value him higher because he only needs 6-12 months of playing well again and he would be worth twice as much.

It’s no great controversial deep wisdom of “oh he’s actually truly not a good player”. He just hasn’t met his promise (hopefully, yet).

15. DUNCAN DONUTS

I am glad Max stayed , he's been immense in the last 2 games involved in everything & notching assists.

He has loyalty & can see promotion is still possible & he could get another stab at the Premier league.

He's been ever present for England U21s in a position with tons of exceptional competition.
    If we were outside the play offs playing horrible football, with the fans angry under Deano .
    Then perhaps he may well have wanted out .

I don't believe for a second that the only reason he is still here is because he's not good enough or not coveted by bigger teams .

Just seems another perverse Robbieism like the obvious bias against Handley & McLean who have been excellent under a management team that know what they're doing .

16. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

It says something that his former manager, DF, wants to sign him. I remember he wanted to loan him last summer as well. DF knows him better than anyone so his interest says it all. Why has Idah got a new 5 year deal? Have they seen something that we have missed? And a funny aside, Shef Utd are being taken over by a Nigerian called Dozy.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    RiverEndRick likes this.
  17. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I used to think that, but under Smith I feel he stopped developing and went backwards. I worry that his aerial and crossing abilities in particular aren't strong enough. Having said that if Wagner can get him back to his pre Smith levels I'm more than happy that he stay. I think we are probably his level low PL high Championship level.

18. Robbie BB

TeamTalk !! No team, just talk. Claiming an "Exclusive" is the key giveaway.
    Threre is nothing perverse about it. In the case of all three -- Hanley, McLean, Aarons -- I have never questioned their worth at Championship level. What I have consistently said of them is that they are not Premier League quality, and that the fact they are considered among our best players just indicates how far we are from achieving our aim of becoming established in the top league. Two successive abject failures at EPL level, when all three were regular starters, supports my view. There is no inconsistency between "among the best we have" or "have served us well" and "not good enough for us at EPL level".

19. DUNCAN DONUTS

You are mystified that 3 of our best players are not the best in the Premier League .

You even went so far as to say you wouldn't want Handley or McLean anywhere near the squad if we ever gained promotion again.

You also claimed that Dean Smith and his tactics would be able to keep Norwich in the Premier league.

You live in contrary upside down World or just come out with silly statements to get a rise.

Still waiting for the numerous quotes of us displaying signs of being mystified that the over rated dwarf that nobody wants Aarons didn't get sold.

Or was that in your head too ?

20. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

So do you think we are shooting at the moon if we aim for PL survival? Since your solution of hiring a pragmatist like Dean Smith to sort out our defence led only to us being just as poor in the PL and then even worse in the Championship, how do you believe we can ever become top-17?